RN Carrier catapult bridles, especially Ark Royal.

bootneck

Does anyone here know the length of the catapult bridle on RN carriers?   I don't know if they were different lengths on the various carriers and I am presuming that they were all a standard size; but what was that size?  Looking at photographs, I would guestimate about 28 feet in total length, before being looped back to the aircraft's horns, but I would appreciate a more definitive answer from anyone who knows please.

Mike

I did a search online, but could find no numbers at all. From what the narrator says at 16:02 min in this video ("A Vixen bridle is brought up ready")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsE9oCdSEEI&t=132s

it would seem that there were different lengths for different aircraft. It's worth watching the whole thing just for general information, and I think that you'd be able to use some of the visuals for a size reference - the cinematography is (mostly) excellent.

Also, an interesting discussion here https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/109243-carrier-ops

Given that this is BM, no doubt an ex-RN deck chappie will be along shortly to give you chapter and verse (no point asking pilots, they wouldn't know).

• 8 months later...

Not a deck chappie but wouldn't the launch weight of the aircraft dictate different tensile strengths of cable? That may be why the reference to a Vixen cable.

I'll get back in me box now.....

As above, i'd say the bridles would be aircraft specific and not carrier specific.

Length would be determined by the geometry of the aircraft catapult spools in relation to the catapult with the aircraft in launch position.

Thickness of wire would be determined by max launch weight per aircraft type.

Size of eyes in bridle ends would be determined by aircraft spool size.

Sorry I can't help with actual dimensions, but reference to photos to determine the position of the catapult shoe in the deck in relation to the aircraft should enable you to get close enough.