Anigrand's Douglas A2D-1 Skyshark 1/72

hsr

This is my rendition of Anigran's Douglas A2D-1 Skyshark. The A2D was supposed to be the replacement for the AD Skyraider, but it fell victim, along with several other aircraft, to the unreliable Allison XT40 turboprop engine and the advance in turbojet engines that made it obsolete, Only 12 built before project cancellation. I have a bit of a soft spot for aircraft with contra-rotating props so this has been on my list for a while. It is just a pity that, as far as I can tell, no US military aircraft using contra-rotating props ever went into full scale production (there were 11 R3Y Tradewinds). I had both this and the Mach 2 kits on my pile. They are both about a scale foot short in length, but the Anigrand seemed to capture the shape better and looked easier to build. There where no surface pinholes and except for some warping of the fuselage halves and the wings the fit was good. I did my best for fix the wing warping, but I still have a little bit of an upward curve. I added some cockpit parts from that CMK F4D upgrade kits, but the canopy isn't transparent enough to really see inside well. The decals are out of the box. They were slightly yellowed so spent some time taped to a sun facing window. The color is a much darker blue (Humbrol 15), but the camera flash washes it out.

So, on to the pictures;

964oej8C_o.jpg

M7egm3Ri_o.jpg

oDM978N1_o.jpg

accb9ob3_o.jpg

arCcnlr2_o.jpg

ojsRfoCR_o.jpg

Next up is the Anigrand F8U-3 Crusader III

Enjoy

• Like 17

Nice job on the resin kit!  I've built several Anigrand kits and, as you mentioned sometimes not too accurate or detailed, they are often the only ones available for those rarer aircraft.  I look forward to seeing your Crusader built.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

what colours did you paint it ?

I used Humbrol #15. It is actually a darker blue than the pictures show.

56 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

What makes you think it isn't long enough ?

I have a Murphey's Rule ruler that is measured in 1/72 inches and according to that it is 40" even. The Steve Ginter book lists the length as 41" 5", Wikipedia as 41" 3" and Anigrand lists it as 41" 2". I compared it to the drawings in the Ginter book and it was short against those, but my Murphey's Rule show then as 42". While no 2 sources agree on the exact length the preponderance of the evidence seems to show it as short. If there was only 1 kit available I wouldn't even have measured it, but since there are at least 2 available I have to get the ruler out and start measuring.

Thanks

3 hours ago, hsr said:

I have a Murphey's Rule ruler that is measured in 1/72 inches and according to that it is 40" even. The Steve Ginter book lists the length as 41" 5", Wikipedia as 41" 3" and Anigrand lists it as 41" 2". I compared it to the drawings in the Ginter book and it was short against those, but my Murphey's Rule show then as 42". While no 2 sources agree on the exact length the preponderance of the evidence seems to show it as short. If there was only 1 kit available I wouldn't even have measured it, but since there are at least 2 available I have to get the ruler out and start measuring.

Thanks

For what it’s worth the A2D-1 SAC has it as 41” 4” long at the waterline (40’ 9” along the ground in a three-point attitude). It’s not very likely that the drawing in the Ginter book is exactly 1/72 scale.

FYI: The Anigrand F8U-3 appears to be based on inaccurate July 1959 Aeromodeler plans so the fuselage is about three feet (1/2 inch) too short.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

FYI: The Anigrand F8U-3 appears to be based on inaccurate July 1959 Aeromodeler plans so the fuselage is about three feet (1/2 inch) too short.

But it's the best game in town and it still looks pretty sleak. It and the A5J look like they are going fast, even when they are standing still.