Lack of gun barrels in wings of early Aleutian P-40Es?

warhawk

Hello,

Looking at various photos of 343FG/11FS aircraft, namely aircraft No.49, I have noticed that no photos of these early birds show gun barrels protruding from the wing leading edges.
Was this another modification for operating in the cold weather (like sealing the openings around exhaust pipes)? 
Or were they deleted from the photos by a censor?

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/P-40/343FG/images/Curtiss-P-40E-Warhawk-343FG11FS-Y49-Aleutian-Islands-1942-02.jpg
https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/P-40/343FG/images/Curtiss-P-40E-Warhawk-343FG11FS-Aleutian-Islands-1942-02.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8b/4e/3e/8b4e3eff19b82dc9948d665c437bbed2.jpg

Edited by warhawk

Just guessing, but either deleted by the censor, or guns not fitted when the aircraft were ferried to Alaska to save weight, use the gun bays for parts/tools, etc. If you look at the last photo, you can see where the case ejection chutes were either blotted out by a censor or covered over. Just spitballin' here! Pretty darned strange photos, that's for sure! Maybe @BS_w might know, as he seems to have a ton of H-75 and H-81 reference material!

Mike

Hi Warhawk,

Those 1939/40 designs were the first to carry internally mounted 50-calibre wing guns, and no one was quite sure how to minimize the drag along the wings' leading edges.  They all had blast tubes extending from the barrels, but until the NACA reports came in there were many variations.  Clearly, flush-with-the-leading-edge was not the best, since the blast tubes were quickly extended in production.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

As Dana wrote, it's first model of blast tube opening. I've change the curves of the pic and now we can see the openings in the leading edge. They are as the drawing on the right, at top(1940).
later, the blast tube will protrude the LE and a fairing will be around it.(drawing at bottom 1941)

Note the large opening and blast tube diameter of first model.

blast_10.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You very much for concise explanations and drawings.

This brings me a step closer to completing my model.

But now, I don't get to use those beautiful 1/72nd gun barrels by Master (doh!)

Regards

Aleksandar

On 12/23/2018 at 5:16 PM, warhawk said:

Was this another modification for operating in the cold weather

I found this:
- oil system modified
- cowl flap altered to prevent 100 percent closure
- drain valve installed in lowest part of oil tank sump
- added a 750w immersion heater in oil tank
- all bearing exposed -60°F lubricatd with another grease
- additional heat for carburetor and guns
- oil lines lagged with asbestos tape and cotton tape
- cockpit heating system modified
- added propeller anti icing system

and more

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BS_w said:

Rubber feed shoes are cemented along the leading edge of each blade and distribute the anti icing fluid.

I think I see what You mean, but by looking at these photos...

They cover the entire back surface of each blade... and are attached by some rivets (just after the leading edge of each blade, parallel to it)?

P-40_pilot_lt_James_Perryman_11th_FS_343

source: worldwarphotos.info

Curtiss-P-40E-Warhawk-343FG11FS-Adak-Ala

source: asizbiz.com

The color of this rubber surface looks like a light grey to me (maybe un-vulcanized rubber, just like used in WWI for tire production, which is indeed a very light neutral grey).

Edited by warhawk

7 hours ago, BS_w said:

I found this:
- oil system modified
- cowl flap altered to prevent 100 percent closure
- drain valve installed in lowest part of oil tank sump
- added a 750w immersion heater in oil tank
- all bearing exposed -60°F lubricatd with another grease
- additional heat for carburetor and guns
- oil lines lagged with asbestos tape and cotton tape
- cockpit heating system modified
- added propeller anti icing system

and more

I'll on the subject of the Aleutian P40 I came across a photograph sometime back that showed at least one with a real strange anomaly that have never been able to figure out, which is the circular hatch in the rear right glass ..P-40%20Aleutian_Warhawks_11th_FS_343rd_F

• Like 1

Hello Hume, how are you?

in the right rear window it's the cap filler of de-icing tank which is behind the headrest armor plate.

"An opening is cut on the right-hand side of vision glass to allow for the filling of the anti-icer tank. This opening is fixed with a hinge cover operating from inside.", this change sept 1942

Merry Christmas !!!

Edit: the propeller anti-icer tank is between Sta 7 & 8 on P40E (and Sta 5 / 6 on F, L, K & M when fitted, on these models, the cap is just behind the frame Sta 5)

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2018 at 12:45 AM, BS_w said:

blast_10.jpg

Looking back at this photo, I cannot determine the shape and color of these tape patches over the gun openings (they look circular, but I have doubts someone would bother to cut them that way every time they need replacing).

What would You suggest?