Sorry if I have fooled you into thinking this is a full build, it isn't my intention. What I wanted to do was show my progress and point out any areas that I have had problems with. I am no expert on the type so any accuracy issues are beyond the scope of this as well.

Anyway, here is my progress to date:

IMGP7103

I'd rather not have had to assemble the undercarriage at this stage but I can see no way to add it after building the airframe. The firewall and spars are integral to the undercarriage and unless you make ships in bottle I can see no way of adding it later.

You can probably see that there is very little filler, just a little around the wing roots and none on the fuselage or tail planes.

IMGP7105

A little more filler around the turret opening.

IMGP7107

The first real issue is the flaps, which are clearly designed to be assembled open. There is some nice detail ,on the inner faces and the instructions do tell you to cut off this detail. However I had to reduce the inner flaps to wafter thickness to make them fit. It is a shame alternative parts aren't provided.

IMGP7106

Not perfect but it will do. A little more filler around the Bombay is visible in this photo. AS you can see the general fit is impressive.

I have to say that the package is comprehensive, I believe all the parts necessary  to build  a bomber are in the box as are tropical filters. I was so looking forward to this kit coming out and I am not disappointed, I'll probably buy at least another one.

More updates after Christmas I hope.

• Like 11

IMGP7109

In between making a cake for Christmas and shopping, I've managed to add an Eduard masking set and got the first piece of cockpit glazing in place.

The set has  saved so much time it was well worth the cost. All the pieces fit really nicely and are much better than I could have done. It is Mk If specific as no masks are provided for the clear nose panels of the bomber. Airfix provide alternative parts for the bomber nose as you can see. I have dry fitted the starboard nose piece and It looks like it might need a bit of filing to fit but we will see after Christmas.

• Like 6

I see what you mean about the canopy masks... think I'll get a set. 

The beauty of the mask is that it is easy to apply a coat of interior green first, visible from the inside, then the external colours. 

Looking forward to seeing more...

• Like 1

Mine’s not quite as far on, having got stuck behind a 1/48th Meteor FR. 9 in what passes for my modelling room, but it’s surprisingly easy to build so far, even the undercarriage units (painting them’s going to be fun I think) and the cockpit detail is pretty good straight from the box.  I’ve already got a second one on order from my (nearly) local plastic pusher that I’d really like to do as one of 211 Sqquadron’s aircraft from the Greek campaign, but preferably not the oft-depicted L6670 if at all possible.  The Squadron was almost completely annihilated during this period and I’d like to commemorate at least one of the other crews who gave everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 224 Peter said:

The beauty of the mask is that it is easy to apply a coat of interior green first, visible from the inside, then the external colours. 

some sets have both  interior and exterior masks, so you can apply framing inside as well....

34 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I’d really like to do as one of 211 Sqquadron’s aircraft from the Greek campaign, but preferably not the oft-depicted L6670 if at all possible.  The Squadron was almost completely annihilated during this period and I’d like to commemorate at least one of the other crews who gave everything.

I'd ask @tonyot  if he knows anything, sort of info he has squirrelled away ;) 

Neat work on the build @Silver Fox

• Like 2

Looking great so far Andy,

`d recommend reading the book `Blenheims over Greece and Crete 1940-41' ,....excellent read, lots of decent info and good photos too;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blenheims-Over-Greece-Crete-1940-1941/dp/1781552800

PM me your e mail address Andy and I`ll e mail some pics to you,..... I think that I have a few from the Greek campaign.

Cheers

Tony

Edit;..... Have a look at these for starters;

Blenheim Mark I, L1434, of No. 211 Squadron RAF, undergoing an engine service at Paramythia 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Air_Force_Operations_Over_Albania_and_Greece,_1940-1941._ME(RAF)1038.jpg

And this one,....L1489, UQ-D,... although I don`t agree with the desert camo in the artwork,.....I`d go for DE/DG/ Night;

https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/332492384986346720

dd5945be0dc72a196118a07da018fe56.jpg

PS,.... If it helps I also built a 1/72nd Airfix Blenheim I in Greek Campaign markings for 30 Sqn and the thread is here,.... the WIP attached within it also has quite a few Greek campaign pics ;

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

Well I finally got the starboard glazing in place.

Blen 10

This was more of a wrestle than expected, I had to use amore filler than I wanted to and it still needs to be sanded back. When I do my next one I will add the glazing to the fuselage half before assembling the fuselage. 

Blen 9

Once in place the top piece fitted perfectly though the sliding hatch seems a bit wide so I think I'll leave it open.

I think th problems are caused because I got the forward fuselage too narrow I did use tape to hold it together so maybe I bent the fuselage inwardly too much.

• Like 4

Some useful tips coming  from this build, I don't have one yet but am planning to get one when I've sold some unwanted stuff.

Interesting  idea about attaching the glazing before joining the fuselage halves, I might try that when the time comes.

John

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Well I finally got the starboard glazing in place.

Blen 10

This was more of a wrestle than expected, I had to use amore filler than I wanted to and it still needs to be sanded back. When I do my next one I will add the glazing to the fuselage half before assembling the fuselage. 

Blen 9

Once in place the top piece fitted perfectly though the sliding hatch seems a bit wide so I think I'll leave it open.

I think th problems are caused because I got the forward fuselage too narrow I did use tape to hold it together so maybe I bent the fuselage inwardly too much.

Thanks for that tip, filed for (hopefully near-) future reference.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 9:39 PM, Silver Fox said:

Cheers Tony, but mine's going to be Mike Herrick's  night fighter. Part of my tribute to the man and his machines.

Sorry Andy,..... I misread the query that I was linked into,.... thought that it was from you!!

Looking excellent this one,...... keep up the good work,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Cheers Pete, you will enjoy it.

Did you get the Vampire decals I sent?

Hi Andy. Yes, card and decals had arrived here yesterday! Our postal system has been super slow this time of the year, worse than ever...cutbacks on staffing levels as usual.

The decals look great, better than the poor efforts I did many years back and brought over for the UK based FFM! I'll send you an email this arvo when I get back from work.

Pete M.

Edited by Pete M.

No photos  for this little update, Christmas and family time has rightly limited my bench time. Working on the engines at the moment, not made easier by the lack of positive alignment points. I built the first engine form pre painted parts but on  the second one I assembled parts C29, C30 and C36 as a single unit to paint it and then C37 and C38. Don't leave parts C12 and C13 or part C14 and C15,depending on your chosen scheme,until the end as shown in the instructions I had a heck of job getting them in place on the first engine, I added them as part of the main build and then painted them in situ which seemed to help a lot. Some gentle sanding of the cylinder heads helped align the cowling panels.

One final point, the Eduard masking set seems to be missing  a panel for the lower port window.

I hope I'm not putting you off buying or building the kit, as a veteran of two Classic Airframe Blenheims this is a walk in the park in comparison.

Well this is turning into a mojo suppressor. I have really struggled to get the glasswork to align and I now regret not attaching it to the fuselage halves  before assembling. She is in the paintshop having the first coat of sky on.

I have assembled, filled and undercoated the nacelles, and as I said above the panels fit better with a fair amount of sanding of the cylinder heads, which are invisible once they whole thing is assembled. The propellers and wheels came as some light relief. Still it is a much better kit than the Classic Airframes alternative so onward and upwards

Blen14

More to follow soon .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Looking good. I like the engines. Are you going to leave the prop hubs silver? Other than a few pictures of Bisleys with un-painted hubs, all the Blenheim pictures that I have ever seen the hubs are painted black.

Chris

• Like 1

Blen 18

Progress of a sort, I still don't feel that I have tamed the glazing but it is what it is.

Blen 16

I'll finish the painting the engines later this week  and get the Dark Green on the airframe. Ah the joys of being self employed.

• Like 4

Looking good..

I had the pleasure of seeing the UK based one in flight and on the ground at the Goodwood Revival Meeting a few years ago. 

As the kit has those markings I'll be building it, even though the "restored" aircraft is more a Bolingbroke airframe with restored Blenheim Mk I nose section with its "stepless cockpit" than Mk 1 Blenheim! 

Some brilliant photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Warbirdapps/photos/?tab=album&album_id=872552412755500

Edited by 224 Peter
Addition of link
  • Like 1