Airbrush in Winter

Dee1234

Hi,

I am new to modelling and have just built (primed with Tamiya Primer) a few Model Jets. I have some Model Master acrylics /Mr Hobby Color and Tamiya Acrylics. I would have liked to have airbrushed some of the models outside now in the garden but as its winter time the weathers not ideal. I do not have a spray booth and I do not think a booth costing less than £100 would be suitable for Mr Hobby Type solvent paints? I do have a shed outside which I could heat up and airbrush inside, the only problem is I would need to keep it heated for many hours whilst the models dried and the spray could contaminate other items in the shed. I was wondering what others do? maybe I should just wait until Spring/ Summer?

Dee

• Like 1

Aye up.

I build and spray in the shed. Mines insulated and clad however and has the spray booth vented through the wall. I use an oil filled radiator for heat and also have a fan heater to boost up the temp when needed. I can soon get it upto around 65 degrees which is comfortable. As regards drying... ive never had an issue with this. When im done for the day i put the model in a plastic box until i work on it again. As regards the booth, i've recently upgraded mine to a Benchvent. Not cheap by any means. Previous one was a cheap Expo AB500 which worked well for Tamiya thinned with their own thinners etc. Not sure if this type is good for solvent based paint however but i'm sure someone on here will be along with the answer soon. 

Regards.

Steve