1:32 Fly Hurricane IId - 5 Sqn SEAC, 1943, under repair! [Complete!]

Kallisti

On 26/12/2018 at 13:35, Troy Smith said:

Note, this shot of KZ295

33426c2359b3a9cc232bccf7b001f44f.jpg

by this stage interiors parts are all Grey-green, and that the inside of the gear doors and what is visible of the wheel well are the underside colour.

30 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Looking good so far , Just a pointer , wheel bays should be finished in Natural metal not Interior green.

They were Aluminium paint, not natural metal,  up to a point (sometime in 1942 it seems) , and then as the photo above shows,  the underside colour, as can just be seen.   There are B/w shots where it can be seen they UC wels are the same tone as the underside as well

Hawker_Hurricane_assembly_radiator.jpg

Hurricane_assembly_and_production_wing_c

HTH

PS 

HW189 still had aluminuim painted wells/gear legs

45791221395_bdda178668_b.jpg&key=e9780f1

see here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049405-hurricane-footage-on-youtube-desert-scheme-repaints-in-colour

Edited by Troy Smith
add pic
  • Like 1

The wheel wells WERE interior green until I forgot to mask them when spraying the primer, and I was intending to repaint in Aluminium once the rest of the painting is done, however the photos above from Troy make me think that I should continue with the Azure blue - at the very least on the inside of the gear doors (which are still currently interior green :( ) Thanks for the feedback, always good to get useful information!

I've just finished masking the underside ready to start on the camo upper surfaces... dark earth first, after lunch now...

Edited by Kallisti

Just noticed an error in the kit - the port wing still has a cut out for the landing lights which were blocked off on the IId. Having to take off some of the masking and fill the hole in :( The kit instructions imply that there should be both lights but the starboard wing has the hole closed but the port wing still has it open. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge amount of progress in the last week or so as I've come down with a cold and been feeling grotty to say the least. I have made some progress however, namely fixing the gap in the port wing and finishing off the top surfaces camo

DSC_1940.JPG

This is after its been given a Klear coat ready for decals. More later in the week when I'm back to what is laughably called "normal"...

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks have gone by and I can announce that finally it is complete. To be honest I got a bit fed up with it towards the end so was really glad to get it over the finish line! I've been having issues for a while with the varnishing stage of my builds so for this one I was being VERY careful not to mess it all up at the last stage!

I scratch built some wooden chocksout of some scrap balsa and wire for the handles and finally assembled all the extra bits on the base.

So without further ado here are the photos:

DSC_2028.JPG

DSC_2030.JPG

DSC_2031.JPG

DSC_2033.JPG

DSC_2034.JPG

DSC_2036.JPG

The tool box is of course non-regulation for WWII RAF, its actually modelled on the toolbox my Dad had when I was a kid :)

DSC_2042.JPG

DSC_2043.JPG

DSC_2053.JPG

DSC_2054.JPG

One of the last things I did is add a pouch for the First Aid Kit on the back of the port fuselage panel - there are markings on the outside highlighting its location.

DSC_2055.JPG

DSC_2058.JPG

These last shots are trying to capture some of the cockpit detail - tricky with the lighting...

DSC_2059.JPG

DSC_2062.JPG

There it is - another of the builds I've been wanting to do for a couple of years since the Fly kits started appearing. This fits well in the sequence between the Spitfire IX in Tunisia diorama from mid 1943

DSC_0537.JPG

(You can see that build here:)

and the "Clang" diorama which would have been in mid 1944

DSC_7867.JPG

(which you can see here:)

My next build will be something rather different...

• Like 2