1/48 - Sukhoi Su-27/30 "Flanker" family by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - Su-27/P/UB "Flanker-B/-C", Su-30SM/MKI "Flanker-H" released - new Su-30MKM/MK/MKA/SME boxing in 2023

Homebee

On 4/6/2021 at 3:40 AM, sinistervampire319 said:

I haven't built a Flanker, though it's an impressive looking airplane. Is the Academy kit that bad?

It never was bad, I built a lot of them and they look great next to other companies' newer and better kits.  It's considered underscale because of a measuring issue with the pitot tube. I've compared fuselages with other flankers and there really isn't a scale issue. I have 5 on the shelf below. The Academy's weaknesses are covered by aftermarket like any other kit, mainly nose, canopy, burner cans and cockpit. 

But with these amazing GWH kits on the scene now (and even the Hobby Boss and Kinetic offerings) it really is at the bottom.  

CieadWE.jpg

• Like 10

On 4/3/2021 at 11:37 AM, SAT69 said:

I haven't built a Flanker, though it's an impressive looking airplane. Is the Academy kit that bad?

If you want a lot of detail straight out of the box then get the GWH kit.:party:

The Academy kit's wheel wells are incorrect, the landing gear legs are thinner than on the real aircraft, LERX have the wrong shape . . . etc. My Academy kit had molding flaws that needed filling. Fit is okay and it's lacking many details found on the real airframe.

I was going to buy the Hobby Boss offering, but then (a few years ago!) GWH announced they were planning a SU-27 family. I'm glad I waited!

The GWH is dripping with well researched details. Aftermarket? You really won't need it. Maybe a set of resin tires?

Here's a couple of videos by a Japanese builder, Shuichi Hayashi, to convince you.😊:eat::thumbsup:

Just look at the omega shape of the canopy! :inlove:

The nose landing gear leg? :kissing2:

Lets' start with the breath taking wheel well details straight OOB!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

It never was bad, I built a lot of them and they look great next to other companies' newer and better kits.  It's considered underscale because of a measuring issue with the pitot tube. I've compared fuselages with other flankers and there really isn't a scale issue. I have 5 on the shelf below. The Academy's weaknesses are covered by aftermarket like any other kit, mainly canopy, burner cans and cockpit.

Well, definitely weapons too which are a joke (especially R-27 missiles).

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

Go GWH if you have the change! Its only drawback! 

I took advantage of Lucky Models (very very very slow) $12 surface shipping when I ordered the Su-27UB. The cost of shipping was spread across 4 kits so I paid $81 for the kit! Spruebrothers lists the UB at $99, but you will get it much faster!

The Academy kit is about $55-$65 including shipping. You may get it for $30 at a swap meet. You then will spend some ducats on aftermarket decals and other bling to make it look nicer.🤔

Plastic model kits certainly aren't cheap anymore! So choose wisely!

raw

• Like 3

Su-30SM "Flanker-H" in design - ref. L4830

Source: https://www.facebook.com/yufei.mao.940/posts/1127900791060278

Busy busy weekend!
So you see, my time supposed to spent on real plastic is now occupied by “virtual modeling”.
Sorry for the mosaic effect since it’s still under revision, but it’s very close 

171489315-1127900194393671-4171581676328

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

On 06/04/2021 at 08:05, paulsbrown said:

The Academy's weaknesses are covered by aftermarket like any other kit, mainly canopy, burner cans and cockpit. 

I'd say the radome comes first as it is completely out of Flanker shape. Also those intake edges seem to be too sharp.

Academy isn't good in current times, all those aftermarket parts you need to fix it together with kit itself would definitely cost equal or even more than GWH kit. Kitty hawks are OK-ish as far as you can get one like 25% off (so in my case ~€55).

5 minutes ago, Neffan said:

Super !!! And....What about the T-10M-11 SU-37 Super Flanker ? 

There should be your answer 

51108164517_4435c46efd_o.png

Edited by TapChan
  • Like 2

Totally agree about the GWH kit. After my experience with their Su-35, Mig-29 and F-15 kits I was a convert and quickly off loaded my Eduard Su-27UB when they announced their intentions. The Kitty Hawk kits come a close second for me, at least those I have had (Su-35 and Su-34) and I had to hold myself off from buying their 27's. I'm still tempted, if only to combine some of the detail features (radar, engines, etc.) with the GWH shell to make for an extra interesting diorama, but the main build would still be GWH. I really hope they follow through with their intention to make an F-14 in 1/48. I know there are plenty of different kits out there but... you know... it's a GWH... :blush:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Sukhoi Su-27/30 "Flanker" family by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - Su-27 "Flanker-B"/ Su-27UB "Flanker-C" released - next Su-30SM "Flanker-H"
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The single seat Flanker is available on eBay from dawngrocerystore (among others) for £56.80 postage included.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks tank152

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/permalink/1258493721237991/

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/316421-great-wall-hobby-gwh-l4824-148-su-27-“flanker-b”-heavy-fighter/&do=findComment&comment=3050257

Time to say goodbye to brass wires!

The new milestone of aircraft model kit accessory will be released from Detail & Wonder (D&W):

Full detail 1/48 Su-27 "Flanker" landing gears for Great Wall Hobby G.W.H kits

3D printed with full piping and even the smallest details(nuts, bands, etc.) to replicate the real Flanker landing gear to a new benchmark.

The singe piece landing gear parts are printed by high standard engineering resin designed to afford at least 700g weight per gear, while the finished GWH 1/48 Su-27 weights around 250-300g only, so there will be no risk of part distortion.

No more suffering glue and bend work.

Cut and paint them is the only thing you need to do, thanks to technology enhancement.

A Chinese manufacturer will soon release this set of 3D printed aftermarkets for the G.W.H Su-27 and Su-27UB kits.

The difference to the kit plastic parts is that it has all those tiny hydraulic and electric lines that one had to scratch before from wires, lead or pipes . Or use photoetch sets which are awkward to bend anyway and also still a 2D flat piece of material not really realistic representation of a perfectly round hydraulic line.

These nose and main gear legs are 3D printed from a strong material to support the weight of the kit. All you need to do is paint and get a realistic fully equipped gear legs! No more need for scratch building for hours, days, weeks or buying useless photoetch alternatives.

200927755-1172944389889251-2817055187477

edlTwr3.jpg

mUpeP1V.jpg

snVWfLR.jpg

199400075-1172944746555882-4901208927296

200541431-1172944876555869-9073813792421

pBkEHRA.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wahnsinn !

Next steps in 3D technology: 1/144 and 1/200 cockpits, perfect material (UV resistent) and high resolution clear prints for canopies (for our Ju 388 conv. sets)......not to think about combinations with tiny e-motors to replicate working flaps, landing gears - and not too far away real flying 1st class replicas in 1/32.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Sukhoi Su-27/30 "Flanker" family by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - Su-27/UB "Flanker-B/-C" released - next Su-30SM "Flanker-H"
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

#4824 Su-27 now available at

www,mn-modelar.com

based in Prostejov (Czech Rep), most reliable and fast shop.

€  86.-

free shipping above € 111.- in Austria,Hung., Ger, above € 185.- FR, NL, UK 

Edited by ABeck
edit mistake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ABeck said:

www,mn-modelar.com

based in Prostejoc (Czech Rep), most reliable and fast shop.

€  86.-

Indeed, that is probably the best hobby shop in central europe! I order almost all of my modelling related stuff from them.

5 hours ago, ABeck said:

www,mn-modelar.com

€  86.-

Also available at Artscale.eu for 83,20€. And their shipping costs are usually low. A couple of months ago I placed and order including a GWH Su-27UB, ClearProp Skyshark, SH Viggen and a Brengun two seater Ohka,along with some MRP paints and some aftermarket bits and shipping to Portugal was around 8€ for a very large box. And their prices are the lowest in EU shops (i.e. Tamiya new Phantom for 71€ plus shipping)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

Also available at Artscale.eu for 83,20€. And their shipping costs are usually low. A couple of months ago I placed and order including a GWH Su-27UB, ClearProp Skyshark, SH Viggen and a Brengun two seater Ohka,along with some MRP paints and some aftermarket bits and shipping to Portugal was around 8€ for a very large box. And their prices are the lowest in EU shops (i.e. Tamiya new Phantom for 71€ plus shipping)

I've had a lot of positive experiences with Artscale too. Post-Brexit, they've been one of my main sources for much of what I previously bought from the UK - their prices (including shipping) are good and there's none of the grief with VAT, customs declaration forms, handling fees, etc., that makes getting anything from the UK a real nightmare these days (well, if you live in the EU anyway).

Edited by hopkp
spelling
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ABeck said:

www,mn-modelar.com

€  86.-

Never heard of them before, must give them a go.....

On 11/04/2021 at 10:11, Homebee said:

Su-30SM "Flanker-H" in design - ref. L4830

Source: https://www.facebook.com/yufei.mao.940/posts/1127900791060278

171489315-1127900194393671-4171581676328

V.P.

I just noticed that GWH is using the same CAD package as Airfix , Creo Parametrics by the look of things.

Nice!

Another modelling firm that I can send my resumé to 🙂

On 10/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, Christer A said:

I just noticed that GWH is using the same CAD package as Airfix , Creo Parametrics by the look of things.

Nice!

Another modelling firm that I can send my resumé to 🙂

Oh, never heard of it before... I thought most large firms would use NX or CATIA, or perhaps Solidworks... How does Creo compare? I'm a Rhino used myself so I can only marvel at NX etc. but I still get the job done, eventually :)

J