F-86E Sabre, SAAF, Korea

Hi folks.

Here I present my last aircraft model of 2018, an F-86E Sabre 'RUTH I' No. 2 "Flying Cheetah" Squadron of the SAAF, Korea. The donor kit is from Hobbycraft and the wings back-dated to pre- 6-3 wing with the customary filling and sanding. Tank pylons moved inboard to the correct position. Humbrol Metalcote Enamel paints were used for the NMF, albeit something like Alclad might have been better but I had started with the Humbrol and for consistency, I stuck with Humbrol. The model was 'Kleared' before a mixture of the generic kit decals were applied followed by RUTH I decals from Micro Scale and recoated with Klear.

20181222-194155-1.jpg

20181222-194222-1.jpg

20181222-194253-1.jpg

20181222-194302-1.jpg

20181222-194329-1.jpg

20181222-194357-1.jpg

20181222-194729-1.jpg

The 'Trio from Korea'

20181222-195246.jpg

5 of ???

Thanks for looking.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Stuart

• Like 42

Gotta love a good Sabre build and your latest is most certainly up there with the finest builds seen on this site. Judging by your collection it seems like this won’t be your last Sabre kit either! 

Cheers, well modelled and Merry Christmas.. Dave 

21 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Another fine Sabre expertly finished. Can't beat that metalcote, looks fine to me. Happy Christmas Stuart!

Martin

Cheers Martin. Need to see some of your stuff on here. Happy Christmas.

13 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Gotta love a good Sabre build and your latest is most certainly up there with the finest builds seen on this site. Judging by your collection it seems like this won’t be your last Sabre kit either! 

Cheers Dave. As it happens the next Sabre is going to be a CAC Avon Sabre Mk30...an Aussie one! Happy Christmas.

Stuart

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bill.B said:

Nicely done, but I sense someone has a Sabre fetish!  :hmmm:

Cheers Bill. I wouldn't call it a fettish but I do have quite a few to build, decal options will be a sticking point.

26 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

She's a beauty,until now i never realised the SAAF was involved in Korea.....

Cheers Vince. They were indeed, first with P-51D's

220px-F-51Ds_2_Sqn_SAAF_Korea_May_1951.j then later with F-86 220px-F-86F_2_Sqn_SAAF_in_Japan_1953.jpg

Stuart

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice one, Stuart. She looks great in that scheme and with the slats hanging out

Cheers Martin. The hanging slats are not an issue with these kits but back dating the wings are a PITA.

9 hours ago, Clashcityrocker said:

That's just Sabre rattling

Cheers Nigel.  There'll be lots more Sabre rattling to come.

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

your build fills me with a Sabre building urge

Cheers Steve. I have urges all the time but life always modifies that.

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great finish on this and the "collection" Stuart,nice to see the SAAF colour's too!

Cheers Steve. The collection is slowly growing, hoping to build a Sabre every other aircraft build but we'll see.

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Really nice looking Sabre Stuart.  Very pretty

Cheers John. The Sabre does have certain 'curb' appeal, for me any way.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 2

Shernador is my favorite, but "Baby" Ruth will do just fine! Nice collection, too! Is that the Falcon TF-86 conversion I see in the background? First one I have seen built and it looks very good. I think @Tony Edmundson would be jealous of your TF, as IIRC he has been working on one!

Mike

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Shernador is my favorite, but "Baby" Ruth will do just fine! Nice collection, too! Is that the Falcon TF-86 conversion I see in the background? First one I have seen built and it looks very good.

Cheers Mike. The TF is in the forground and the WiP is:

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Nope, I haven’t been working on a TF, don’t know where that ‘duff gen’ is from.  Latest is a VU-33 Heller T-bird with a Karaya Nene engine.

Tony

Sorry, Tony- thought it was you- we had a lot of discussion a while back on modeling the TF-86, and I thought you were one of the participants...guess the old Mk1a memory banks ain't what they used to be! Guess I'll have to do a search to refresh my recollection!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a little better photo of Stuart's SAAF No. 2 Squadron Sabre.  Can't have too many Sabre photos! I have also posted a link to the history of No. 2 Squadron in Korea- great reading and photos of an exceptional group of combat pilots. The last link is a photo collection of No. 2 Squadron  Sabres in Korea. Hope you don't mind my piggybacking your thread, Stuart!

Mike

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/F-86F_2_Sqn_SAAF_in_Japan_1953.jpg

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol043pm.html

http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7069&start=0

• Like 1

Excellent job on back-dating the wings, Stuart.  The hard work was worth it.  If I recall correctly, there isn't an accurate F-85E kit out there.  I might be wrong on that, and it wouldn't be a first!  The NMF came out great as well, and a nice job on getting those decals laid down.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 11:55 PM, FAAMAN said:

Beautifully done F-86 and great to see a different scheme :clap2::clap2:

Cheers mate. I've never seen a SAAF  Sabre on the table either.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:33 AM, Julien said:

Looking good there Stu

Cheers Julian. You've helped in my addiction to Sabres.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:16 AM, WildeSau75 said:

Lovely  Sabre - great collection.

Cheers Michael. The collection will be getting larger and more varied.

On 12/24/2018 at 4:12 AM, 72modeler said:

Hope you don't mind my piggybacking your thread, Stuart!

Cheers Mike. It's relative so 'piggyback' as you like.

16 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Excellent job on back-dating the wings, Stuart.  The hard work was worth it.  If I recall correctly, there isn't an accurate F-85E kit out there.  I might be wrong on that, and it wouldn't be a first!  The NMF came out great as well, and a nice job on getting those decals laid down.

Cheers Mark. I'm quite used to the 'back-dating' of these wings, 5 so far and soon to be a 6th. I think you mean an F-86E and I believe if you are right, in 1/72 anyway. I believe that the F-86D has the correct wing for an -E, so a no hassle option the to cross-kit. I've never really been happy with Humbrol's NMF but it's what I stated with...and will finish with.

Stuart