Su-27M (T-10M Series) in 1/72 scale - Part 0: Kitbash using Revell/Zvezda Su-27SM and Su-33

31 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

May be I should build one Flanker OOB and come back to this business with more motivation. 😀

I hear you, I'm only a canopy interior away from finishing my own Su-27M T10M-1. I long to start the GWH Su-35 or Zvezda Yak-130 OOB and have a result from hours of sanding, scratchbuilding, etc.

It's fun to get dirty and creative but I really look forward to a break and make some great fitting, well engineered kits.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:56 AM, paulsbrown said:

It's fun to get dirty and creative but I really look forward to a break and make some great fitting, well engineered kits.

Fully agree. With minor upgrades I am planning to build either Su-30MK "501" or Su-30M2 "504" (based on Trumpeter Su-30MKK kit with self printed decals) just to give a short break in my major mod projects 👷

• Like 3

Back to progress report:

The tail boom of "701" is different than others and was modified already as reported before. Now the stinger boom of T-10M series has to be built. This has been built using unused parts from spare box.

428.jpg

After having my own copy of Yefim Gordon's Su-27 book (which is a great reference for Flanker modelers) I have seen that my previously built "701" stinger boom was not shaped correctly,

424.jpg

Now the tail boom seems better than before...

425.jpg

Finally both tails booms are now ready to duplicate...

427.jpg

426.jpg

The next step will be "cloning" the tail booms...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 5

The "711" 2D Thrust Vectoring Nozzle (TVN) actuator cowling has been formed using original part with "cold extrusion" as shown below:

431.jpg

In the above picture the right lower image shows the comparison of "Su-30MKI/MKM" 3D TVN versus "Su-27 Terminator (711)" 2D TVN.

The below images show the comparison of reference pictures versus produced one:

435.jpg

As usual, the ring has been cloned to have a pair for both sides (yes I know that I have duplicated more than needed 🙂):

432.jpg

The next step will be the modification of small fairing between engine and tail boom for "711".

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 4

Except "701" all T-10M aircrafts have longer Main Landing Gear (MLG) Downlock fairing.

441.jpg

As first attempt I have started to modify existing Su-27SM fairings:

437.jpg

And the result is as follows:

438.jpg

Although the result seems not so bad I have realised that Su-35S has the same downlock fairing as T-10M airframes have. I have decided to duplicate and modify Hasegawa Su-35S parts:

440.jpg

The bottom left and right  images show "701" and the others respectively.

439.jpg

To be continued...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

After spending few weeks with my "Flankerstein" back to progress on real aircraft.

The nose part has been cloned to build "703", "709" and "711". The "701" nose will be made from this part as well:

566.jpg

The lower and upper front fuselage halves have been also "cloned" to build all aircrafts listed above. First lower fuselage half with registration keys. The positive and negative keys will register the two halves of the finished mold together for casting:

575.jpg

First outer mold half:

576.jpg

Then inner half:

577.jpg

Now it is time to cast the part:

578.jpg

Similarly for the upper front fuselage half:

579.jpg

And the casted part:

580.jpg

I have glued all the casted parts together with the kit parts to build "709":

581.jpg

568.jpg

One can see another Flanker lower half in above "lower-left" picture which is my ongoing Su-30KN project based on Heller kit (most probably will be reported soon here in this forum).

The next will be the "701" and "711" aircrafts.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 8

The next is to build "711". Note that the engine panel masks have been created and cut from vinyl self adhesive film to avoid massive masking work during building multiple aircraft:

569.jpg

572.jpg

And here are the completed main assemblies of "701", "709" and "711":

570.jpg

571.jpg

573.jpg

What is still missing is the "701" slats and nose.

To be continued... 🙂

Serkan

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Great stuff.

Anybody would think that you love Sukhoi's...:wub:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

I love all planes as I am aeronautical engineer 🙂

But Flankers have a special place because of their aerodynamic characteristics and manoeuverability...

• Like 5

One of the point that I did not like in Revell/Zvezda kit was the nozzle detail. Although the feathers are fine, the aft part of the nozzle is not detailed well. I have decided to go with Aires resin parts but the nozzle feathers are a bit "funny" in a form of cylindirical rod halves...

Then I have decided to build my own "hybrid" nozzle by combining kit feathers with resin part nozzle root:

584.jpg

This improvement leads another modification: The exhaust resin part has to be fit to kit nozzle diameter:

585.jpg

Now the exhaust fits well to nozzle feathers:

586.jpg

And here is the result:

587.jpg

The next step is to build nozzle outer part.

To be continued... 

Serkan

• Like 5

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:56, Serkan Sen said:

After spending few weeks with my "Flankerstein" back to progress on real aircraft.

The nose part has been cloned to build "703", "709" and "711". The "701" nose will be made from this part as well:

566.jpg

The lower and upper front fuselage halves have been also "cloned" to build all aircrafts listed above. First lower fuselage half with registration keys. The positive and negative keys will register the two halves of the finished mold together for casting:

575.jpg

First outer mold half:

576.jpg

Then inner half:

577.jpg

Now it is time to cast the part:

578.jpg

Similarly for the upper front fuselage half:

579.jpg

And the casted part:

580.jpg

I have glued all the casted parts together with the kit parts to build "709":

581.jpg

568.jpg

One can see another Flanker lower half in above "lower-left" picture which is my ongoing Su-30KN project based on Heller kit (most probably will be reported soon here in this forum).

The next will be the "701" and "711" aircrafts.

Serkan

Nice work, but I think the Nose of the T-10M is a little

more pointed ...What do you think ?    

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:52, Serkan Sen said:

Here are the duplicated tail booms of "701" and the others:

429.jpg

and more clones...

430.jpg

The next step will be 2D Thrust Vectored Nozzle actuator cowling for "711"...

Serkan

Super !

• Thanks 1

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:00, Serkan Sen said:

Back to progress report:

Except "701", all T-10M serie aircrafts have flat tip fins with bigger rudder area. The best matching fin is Trumpeter Su-30MKK one as shown below.

407.jpg

Although in general Su-30MKK fin is not so bad there are some areas to be improved:

1. Aerial antennas

2. Rudder tip (must be enlarged)

3. HTP actuator and fin root

417.jpg

First I started with fin root&htp actuator modification. These parts have been taken from Su-27SM fins as shown below:

409.jpg

Here are the pictures which compares before and after modification:

410.jpg

The fins fit perfectly to Su-27SM fuselage...

411.jpg

Next comes the aerials and rudder tip modifications. Again Su-27SM fin remaining parts are the donors:

412.jpg

The fin modifications have been completed and the result looks not so bad 🙂 (yes I know that the tail boom is for "701" and fins for all others...)

272.jpg

Hence I want to build "703", "709",  "711" and "801" (T-10UBM-1) aircrafts, I need at least 4 set of these fins. The easiest way is to "clone" the fins. First step is to prepare master pieces with proper cast stands:

413.jpg

Using 2 component (1:1 mixture ratio) soft silicone I have created molds and replicated the parts:

415.jpg

And now I have enough copies of modified fins to build the whole family I want to have:

416.jpg

You may wonder why I have drilled the circular holes on resin stands. These holes prevent closing the casting vent due to silicon mold deformation (and therefore ensures correct thickness of duplicated part) during casting and curing. 

The next step will be the tail booms for "701" and the others...

Serkan

Extra !!! Great job !

• Thanks 1