Su-27M (T-10M Series) in 1/72 scale - Part 0: Kitbash using Revell/Zvezda Su-27SM and Su-33

The Flankers with canards are one of my favorite aircraft since long time and I was checking all available kits in market to build these nice birds. Finally I have decided to go with mainly Revell/Zvezda Su-27SM and Su-33 kits (and some "cloned" parts from Trumpeter Su-30MKK).

In this topic I would like to share my work on progress with you and get your opinions/advice to improve my project.

Regards

Serkan

• Like 2

Here is the comparison of Su-27SM and Su-33 upper half parts:

206.jpg

I have first removed front upper half of Su-33 from the rear part:

208.jpg

and also similar work for lower halves:

210.jpg

The first test for part fits of the trimmed parts:

211.jpg

and also view from inside:

214.jpg

Putting all parts together to see how this aircraft will look like:

215.jpg

221.jpg217.jpg

216.jpg

219.jpg

222.jpg

The first aircraft I will build is to be T-10M-1 which has standard Su-27SM fin but has no cannon. Also tail boom is different than the other later T-10M aircrafts.

I have started with tail boom modification:

226.jpg

227.jpg

230.jpg

And another shot with her "thicker" sister:-)

231.jpg

I have also completed 3 view drawings of T-10M-1. Again I have some doubts about colors (that I found from Begemot decal instructions):

The colors I have selected are (nose to aft):

FS36495 Light gray

FS35526 Light sky blue

FS35450 Air superiority blue

FS36231 Aircraft gray

FS36152 Dark gray

su-35bm-no701-t-10m-1.jpg?live_configura

Any comments about Ferris alike Camo colors?

The next step will be the nose panel lines engraving.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
Update of links
  • Like 7

Thanks lot Stuart.

Before nose panel lines engraving, the NLGB has to be modified. The Su-33 bay is longer than Su-27 one as shown below:

235.jpg

The process is as usual:

Cut (ctrl+c) and Paste (crtl+v) 🙂

First cut....

237.jpg

then paste 🙂

238.jpg

The chine has to be trimmed to fit upper half...

240.jpg

Now the new panel lines can be engraved on lower surface nose area:

232.jpg

Also some templates are needed to position panel lines on upper surface nose:

I have prepared some vector drawings to cut the templates using cutter/plotter. Note that the nose cone templates have been created as well to correct nose shape...

242.jpg

241.jpg

To avoid a upper/lower junction through panel lines the nose has been separated from lower and upper halves and built as single piece including nose cone.

Here is the placed template on right side:

243.jpg

and engraved panel lines and corrected nose shape:

244.jpg

246.jpg

245.jpg

T-10M-1 "701" has not all the engraved panel lines on left and right side of the nose section. Therefore some of them should be filled (also the cannon details) to build this first prototype correctly. But all these corrections will be done after "cloning" upper half and nose cone.

The next step will be the NLG modification for twin wheels and mud guard for "703", "709" and "711" (also needed for Su-27IB "T-10V-1" and Su-35UB "T-10UBM-1")...

Regards,

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 7

As first attempt the NLG fork for twin wheels has been taken from Italeri Su-34:

391.jpg

Left top picture shows the comparison of Hasegawa Su-35, Trumpeter Su-30MKK, Italeri Su-34 and Revell/Zvezda Su-27SM (left to right) NLG parts.

The Hasegawa Su-35 mud guard and wheels have been used together with Italeri Su-34 twin wheels fork to see the complete modified NLG assembly:

392.jpg

The NLG assembly together with nose section seems not so bad at all 🙂

393.jpg

394.jpg

398.jpg

That's all for this year 🙂

I am not very happy with the result as the Italeri part seems very thick. Most probably I will go with Trumpeter Su-34 part. But the progress will be reported next year.

I wish you all happy New Year.. :party:

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

Happy New Year to all 🙂

Back to progress report...

Here is the comparison of several Flanker NLG assemblies I have (Hasegawa Su-33, Trumpeter Su-27s, Italeri Su-27s, ICM Su-27s were not included as they are out of scope 🙂 )

395.jpg

The best candidate for building most realistic NLG assembly is to combine Revell/Zvezda NLG strut, Trumpeter Su-34 wheel fork and Hasegawa mud guard...

396.jpg

The below left top image shows the comparison of original (for T-10M-1 "701") and modified (for all other T-10M aircrafts like "703", "709" and "711", also T-10UBM-1, T-10V-1 and Su-30MK series) NLG assemblies:

397.jpg

The above top right picture shows the modification done on original Su-27 NLG assembly (removed pins and rounded damper tip). From the right below picture one can see all parts produced using PU resin casting.

The next step will be VTP modification (based on Trumpeter Su-30MKK fin).

Happy modeling 🙂

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
typo
  • Like 6

On 12/23/2018 at 11:08 PM, Serkan Sen said:

Any comments about Ferris alike Camo colors?

Hey Serkan,

I'm also currently building the Su-27M T10M-1 "701" but in 1/48 scale with the Sol conversion on the Academy kit.  

Seeing your color profiles above I wanted to give you a heads up regarding the paint scheme, the top five color patterns of 701 was repeated on the bottom of the aircraft, not one solid color. Plus it also had the star outlines (not full stars) like the top and fins. 

Great job on all that work, look forward to seeing all of them progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2019 at 7:26 PM, paulsbrown said:

Hey Serkan,

I'm also currently building the Su-27M T10M-1 "701" but in 1/48 scale with the Sol conversion on the Academy kit.  

Seeing your color profiles above I wanted to give you a heads up regarding the paint scheme, the top five color patterns of 701 was repeated on the bottom of the aircraft, not one solid color. Plus it also had the star outlines (not full stars) like the top and fins. 

Great job on all that work, look forward to seeing all of them progress.

Thanks for your feedback and encouraging reply Paulsbrown.

With my best "guesstimate" then the lower camo should look like this:

Begemot decal instruction describes that the lower surface is in single color (no camo) and national insignia is standard one (not same as upper surface and fins for low visibility).

Do you have any reference picture or drawing that shows the lower surface camo? Also do you know which colors should be used to paint camo scheme?

Regards

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
Update of links
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Begemot decal instruction describes that the lower surface is in single color (no camo) and national insignia is standard one (not same as upper surface and fins for low visibility).

Do you have any reference picture or drawing that shows the lower surface camo? Also do you know which colors should be used to paint camo scheme?

Lower scheme is the other way around.  Yes, I've used the Begemot 701 black number decal but the stars are too thin, too large and two short so I had to make them.

I'm using the AKAN paints mostly, all modified. 

The first edition of Yefim Gordon's Famous Russian Aircraft Su-27 (Midland Publishing 2007) has good photos of the underside.

Here's where I've gotten to so far and the colors with some refs behind for you. 

RRYdgVP.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Lower scheme is the other way around.  Yes, I've used the Begemot 701 black number decal but the stars are too thin, too large and two short so I had to make them.

I'm using the AKAN paints mostly, all modified. 

The first edition of Yefim Gordon's Famous Russian Aircraft Su-27 (Midland Publishing 2007) has good photos of the underside. 

Here's where I've gotten to so far and the colors with some refs behind for you. 

RRYdgVP.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Although the picture is not clear enough to see the camo patterns now I know that somehow I have to find more reference pictures. But I have already searched through internet (including Russian sites with my best) and there is no picture showing the bottom side of this aircraft.

May be I should get Jefim Gordon's book too. You have referenced the first issue. Is there any specific reason for this?

By the way, your "701" project is awesome!.. Do you have more pictures of your build? It would help me to understand camo patterns better.

Cheers

Serkan

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

You have referenced the first issue. Is there any specific reason for this?

Yes I did because it has more and bigger black and white photos of 701 than the revised new edition but I forgot it is being sold at ridiculous prices now. 

Here's my version's underside. 

HWDmFm7.jpg 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulsbrown said:

Yes I did because it has more and bigger black and white photos of 701 than the revised new edition but I forgot it is being sold at ridiculous prices now.  

Thanks for kit picture. The airplane and the colors are amazing!.. Do you remember the mixture ratio of each AKAN color?

I have updated all drawings in my previous posts following your reference pictures and advice. Are they look now realistic?

As you said, I have found the book you referred with very reasonable price and ordered one. Again thanks for your all valuable advices.

Cheers

Serkan

• Like 3

Yes it has these and some others that the newer edition (which is still very good) doesn't have.

f91ekYi.jpg

And this one was really helpful in working out the colors by being able to compare with the other aircraft.

YfU7Vuh.jpg

As far as my mixes, not sure what I did but those are the base colors, mostly lightened and maybe grayed where necessary. I used AKAN Flanker colors because I reckoned they would've used what they had around and the Vallejo Sky blue seemed perfect. 

Flankerman saw it before it was repainted and said " light grey at the front getting progressively darker towards the rear. There is quite a blue tinge to the grey though" which is a tremendous help.

Some photos can make it look very different

qnbgSLe.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

As far as my mixes, not sure what I did but those are the base colors, mostly lightened and maybe grayed where necessary. I used AKAN Flanker colors because I reckoned they would've used what they had around and the Vallejo Sky blue seemed perfect. 

Flankerman saw it before it was repainted and said " light grey at the front getting progressively darker towards the rear. There is quite a blue tinge to the grey though" which is a tremendous help.

Some photos can make it look very different

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your precious support and the references/advices you have provided. I have updated all my drawings in this topic (the links in my previous posts above) and hope it will help others in future for their projects.

Cheers

Serkan

• Like 3

On 1/5/2019 at 11:43 AM, paulsbrown said:

Yes it has these and some others that the newer edition (which is still very good) doesn't have.

My copy of the new edition of the Gordon / Komissarov book arrived yesterday - I was shocked by the sheer weight!

Cheers,

Andre

1 hour ago, Hook said:

My copy of the new edition of the Gordon / Komissarov book arrived yesterday - I was shocked by the sheer weight!

Cheers,

Andre

I have received my copy as well and very impressed with the amount of details and drawings. It is new edition too with 720 pages. It worths every cent I paid...

• Like 2

Back to progress report:

Except "701", all T-10M serie aircrafts have flat tip fins with bigger rudder area. The best matching fin is Trumpeter Su-30MKK one as shown below.

407.jpg

Although in general Su-30MKK fin is not so bad there are some areas to be improved:

1. Aerial antennas

2. Rudder tip (must be enlarged)

3. HTP actuator and fin root

417.jpg

First I started with fin root&htp actuator modification. These parts have been taken from Su-27SM fins as shown below:

409.jpg

Here are the pictures which compares before and after modification:

410.jpg

The fins fit perfectly to Su-27SM fuselage...

411.jpg

Next comes the aerials and rudder tip modifications. Again Su-27SM fin remaining parts are the donors:

412.jpg

The fin modifications have been completed and the result looks not so bad 🙂 (yes I know that the tail boom is for "701" and fins for all others...)

272.jpg

Hence I want to build "703", "709",  "711" and "801" (T-10UBM-1) aircrafts, I need at least 4 set of these fins. The easiest way is to "clone" the fins. First step is to prepare master pieces with proper cast stands:

413.jpg

Using 2 component (1:1 mixture ratio) soft silicone I have created molds and replicated the parts:

415.jpg

And now I have enough copies of modified fins to build the whole family I want to have:

416.jpg

You may wonder why I have drilled the circular holes on resin stands. These holes prevent closing the casting vent due to silicon mold deformation (and therefore ensures correct thickness of duplicated part) during casting and curing. 

The next step will be the tail booms for "701" and the others...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 7