Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXc

First post in here so go easy

This is my last build, totally out the box. Now I do like my ww2 aircraft to be well weathered, some will like it some won't. Hope you all like anyways, there is a few build posts on my Instagram @tomgotobed 👍👍

PSX_20181202_211105PSX_20181202_211035PSX_20181202_211154PSX_20181202_211226

• Like 39

some will like it some won't. Hope you all like anyways

As long as you like it, that's all that really matters. Having said that, I like it very much and desert airframes tended to be heavily weathered anyway....great job!

• Like 1

It is a very fine model, so I hate have to bring in some criticism concerning the wiring. If you study the fotos of this plane -- and other in the same group -- they did not seem to have any wiring at all, no IFF antennas from the fuselage, nor anything from the tail. They look nice on the model but are hardly authentical.

On 22/12/2018 at 10:55, Tom5011 said:

This is my last build, totally out the box. Now I do like my ww2 aircraft to be well weathered, some will like it some won't.

weathering is fine, but many WW2 planes never lasted long enough to weather.   

Your building and painting is excellent,   and so I suggest that if you like weathering,  have a close look at the real thing, as unfortunately you appear to have looked at too many models, rather than carefully at the real thing,  OK, it's easy to go down the rabbit hole of research,  but to illustrate my point 

14780326836_c9727d9f2c_o.jpgRCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

note how the paint has faded,  note the fresh paint touch up,  and the fading of the upper wing roundels,  as well as chippin, or lack of it,  but wear patches from where the fitter stand on the wing

here's the underside

15225937513_6b7a6cde20_o.jpgRCAF Spitfire Mk V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

from https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787%40N07&q=spitfire

which has a load of perid colur and is an excellent resource for learning how airframes weather and fade. 

one  heavy weathering trick you missed, Merlins leak a lot of oil...  this is a Spitfire XII, so early griffon, but the oil spillage pattern from airflow is the same, this one is particularly mucky, 

ca51fb8b42bbbe0620d66662a8903e7c.jpg

And, oil, exhaust stains, and other gunk gets cleaned off regularly,  as general  after flight servicing.

I mention this as you evidently have all the skills already to replicate the images above, the reason I mention about being influenced by other models is you have gone for the pre-shading technique, and ended up with a quilted looked,   I believe some fading can be achieved reasonable easily with very thin, very pale grey or buff, done after decalling, to tone down and tie together the markings and airframe. 

At least you didn't go for the bare metal on the Rotol  compressed wood composite blades! 

But, these did have brass leading edge sheaths. and the paint did chip off those,  look closely, the brass can be seen here, and this is a detail I don't see done on models! 

3690539310_6cf2a9e36e_o.jpgSpitfire XIVE by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

I hope this is taken in the spirit is intended, which is helpful suggestions, as  you obviously could  replicate the above if you wished with the skills you already have.

cheers

T

PS here's a colour shot from the same squadron

a3b75ee5ea994804f3b637f36ff1d637.jpg

• Like 1