Trumpeter 1/32 Hellcat MK.II

G'Day All, and Merry Christmas

Finishing up my 2018 modelling year is the Trumpeter 1/32 Hellcat F^F-3 which I have converted to a Hellcat MKII

This is easily done by not cutting out the rear windows on this boxing.  I also had to modify the -3 windscreen into a -5 windscreen by sanding off some frames and repolishing.  Strictly speaking the aerial mast should be upright and offset to port too, but I left this alone.  It should also have a circular rear view mirror mounted on the top of the windscreen.  As soon as I can rob one from a spitfire kit, I will fit it.

The Trumpeter kit s not the most accurate one, as it looks like its eaten too many pork pies, being a bit too rotund around the middle.  Were I to do this again, I would use a Hasegawa fuselage mated to the trumpeter wings.

The kit has an Eduard interior set, HGW seatbelts for the sutton harness, although the lap belts are USN type as I managed to mangle the fabric ones.  Gun barrels are from master Models, and seats are by Roy Sutherland

National markings are all painted on, thanks to a friend and his cutter.  The serial numbers are the only decals and of course they silvered didn't they:banghead: The observant amongst you will also note I have the ammunition boxes around the wrong way.  The yellow one should be the rearmost one, 

To be honest, I just wanted it off the bench at this stage so left well alone.  I'ts now time to clean the bench for next year.  A safe Christmas and New Year everyone.  I'd like to send a big Thankyou to Tony O Toole for the help he fgave me with some questions I had about the markings on this scheme.  You're a true gentleman Tony.  Cheers

Bruce

Tucson cropped hangar-3Tucson cropped hangar-4Tucson cropped hangar-7Tucson cropped hangar-12

• Like 42

Excellent, Bruce, right up there with your modelling skills. Love the Hellcat, especially in SEC livery.

That isn't silvering I spot in the RN decal in the last photo.......surely.......

Missed you at todays meeting, so hope to catch up in the New Year. Have a great Christmas.

Rog

• Like 1

Despite the shortcomings of the kit - it's turned out nicely. Very nicely done painting and not over weathered. Shame about the slight silvering on the starboard serial - photographs can be very cruel sometimes! Nothing a bit of surreptitious brushwork couldn't solve. 

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Navy birds aren't my cuppa but this one does look great, especially the painted on markings. They really look, er… painted on.

Pity about the serials – maybe you can replace them when it's time to mount the rearview mirror? The Trumpeter riveter has worked overtime, it seems, but the overall impression is quite awesome!

Nice work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

16 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

Very nice RN Hellcat!

Love the camouflage colors. Do you remember the paints you did use?

Lolo

Bonjour Lolo,  The paints used were all Xtracolour  X007Sky,  .X004 Extra Dark Sea Grey and X025 Dark Slate Grey .  The extra dark sea grey was lightened to bring it closer to dark sea grey

Roger, that is indeed silvering.

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone

Seasons Greetings to All

Bruce

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 1:15 AM, Baldy said:

Shame about the slight silvering on the starboard serial - photographs can be very cruel sometimes!

Cheers

Malcolm

That is so true about photographs!  There are often minor errors on my models, such as decals slightly silvering, that can't be seen well by the naked eye but really stand out in photographs.  But then again, I have too many major errors to worry about the minor ones!

Very nicely built and finished Hellcat, Bruce.  I usually just look at the 'big picture,' so to speak, and only see some fabulous work on your part and wouldn't have even noticed the ammo boxes and such if you hadn't pointed them out.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Wonderful job Bruce,... a fitting end to your 2018 output and cheers for the credit,.....although I didn`t exactly do much! 

Cheers

Tony

On 12/23/2018 at 5:53 AM, pacificmustang said:

Bonjour Lolo,  The paints used were all Xtracolour  X007Sky,  .X004 Extra Dark Sea Grey and X025 Dark Slate Grey .  The extra dark sea grey was lightened to bring it closer to dark sea grey

Roger, that is indeed silvering.

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone

Seasons Greetings to All

Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for the answer. The result is really good

Merry Christmas

Lolo