Loening Special Pulitzer racer 1920, scratchbuilt 1/72

A build from 4 years ago:

Inspired by the reading of "The Pulitzer Air Races" by Michael Gough (a very thorough, intelligent book packed with information) I started this project, depicting the specially modified Loening M-81 that participated in that race.
Racers have a special appeal, even if -as in this case- are converted existing airframes. For racing purposes the standard Loening monoplane got new wings of less span and chord and different planform, plus a refined elevator and other details.
It did not fare particularly well (you may read its story in the book) but had the merit of being a monoplane -in a biplane supremacy time- with adjustable stab incidence, and had a squatty stance that had its charm. The wings were separated from the fuselage by a very small gap, and it had no dihedral whatsoever.
I was aware of the existence of the an old kit by 12 squared (O.O.P. now), a nice model but with some minor accuracy issues, and the Pro-resin release of the "normal" versions, but I decided to go scratch when I found a nice plan and specs at the Dec 20th 1920 issue of Aerial Age Weekly.
The procedures, materials and techniques are the ones I have been portraying here often.
I used a Hispano Suiza white metal aftermarket engine -plus wheels and seat- (thanks, Armando Gil!) and  the customary styrene sheets and rods. Home made decals were designed and printed as well.

49.JPG

50.JPG

51.JPG

52.JPG

54.JPG

55.JPG

56.JPG

58.JPG

60.JPG

62.JPG

63.JPG

65.JPG

68.JPG

72.JPG

74.JPG

71.JPG

04.JPG

• Like 24

• fjaweijfopi4j48 changed the title to Loening Special Pulitzer racer 1920, scratchbuilt 1/72
6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Another goodie there Moa. I'd like to know how you find out a reference from 1920! :shrug:

Might take a look for that book.:book:

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I named this particular reference in the very fist sentence at the beginning of the post.

The Flight magazine archives are another good reference, so are French publications of the time (Aerophile, etc.)

Cheers

16 minutes ago, Moa said:

I named this particular reference in the very fist sentence at the beginning of the post.

The Flight magazine archives are another good reference, so are French publications of the time (Aerophile, etc.)

I had noted the Pulitzer reference from the first post, it was more about finding those articles from magazines from decades ago, I wouldn't have a clue as to where to start.

Stuart

Moa,

Another neat scratch build! I think we can see where Alexander Kartveli got the idea for the wing planform on his P-35/P-43/P-47 designs! Nice model. P.S. See the WW2 section- I mentioned you in  my Christmas poem; hope you don't mind.

Mike

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

I had noted the Pulitzer reference from the first post, it was more about finding those articles from magazines from decades ago, I wouldn't have a clue as to where to start.

Stuart 

The Internet offers you (and everybody) a universe of knowledge, but you have to invest some time to get to the type of resources you are looking for, and then learn to navigate the websites. Almost nobody is willing to do that:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb344143803/date.r=aviation

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Another great build. Your models have been the highlight for me this year on Britmodeller and there have been some great models built by many other modellers here as well. 

BM.

Glad to make fellow modellers have some joy. Thanks very much for your kindness.

I too do enjoy the creations here at BM.

Cheers