Searching for reliable Canberra scale drawings

Moggy

Title says it all :)

I have access to some scale drawings - Aeroguide 7 Canberra, Model Aircraft Monthly 2005-12, Scale Aircraft Modelling 1985-03.

When I built my first Canberra (Italeri + Airwave nose & engines) Aeroguide 7 Canberra fit the Italeri thus led me into the wing root displacement/fat tail.

The others seem better - still I'd like some comments - even better an informed opinion on 1/72 Canberra drawings!

I want to use my last Airwave conversion to make a Swedish Tp 52 ( looks very much like a T.11). I already know the need to move the wing 6mm forward - but the old one I built looks short forward of the wing root too :(

So I'm hoping for better drawings and Airwave + Italeri combination commentary

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
typo magazine nr.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Have you tried the Canberra sig ? If not the @canberra kid will be along to help shortly. He's probably the best Expert on the type. 

Dennis

I'm here Dennis! :)

@Moggy If you are using the Italeri kit it's never going to look completely right, as for plans, if it's shape and dimensions then the Ian Huntley Aviation News ones are perhaps the best, if it's panel detail then non are of much use, but that's not too surprising as there are almost as many variations as there as Mk.'s. The Tp.52 is a B.2 with a Boulton Paul T.11 style nose, being a B.2 it does not have the other mod's appropriate to the T.11. 

John      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @canberra kidI know it's never going to look completely right :(

I have several High Planes kits - bu at the moment they are packed away in what amounts to blind storage :(

So the only Canberras I have at hand right now are a FROG and the Italeri+Airwaves.

Come to think about it - is it feasible to use the Airwaves' nose on the FROG fuselage?

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moggy said:

Thanks @canberra kidI know it's never going to look completely right :(

I have several High Planes kits - bu at the moment they are packed away in what amounts to blind storage :(

So the only Canberras I have at hand right now are a FROG and the Italeri+Airwaves.

Come to think about it - is it feasible to use the Airwaves' nose on the FROG fuselage?

Cheers, Moggy

Definitely Moggy, I was going to suggest that as your best option. The FROG B(I)8 is about the best shaped kit around along with the HP ones. I don't know if you ever saw my attempt at overcoming the shortcomings of the Italeri B.57? this is a link to it RB.57E 

xxdfFP.jpg

John

• Like 1

It looks magnificent! I'll check the building thread :)

2 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Definitely Moggy, I was going to suggest that as your best option. The FROG B(I)8 is about the best shaped kit around along with the HP ones.

I'll check the fuselage diameter. The only sticky part seems to be where to cut to replace the nose with the Airwaves' resin nose

Cheers, Moggy

On 12/21/2018 at 10:58 PM, Moggy said:

I want to use my last Airwave conversion to make a Swedish Tp 52 ( looks very much like a T.11).

God afton Moggy,

a couple of years ago I converted the Airfix 1/48 scale B.2 into Swedish Tp52 "01". If you need copies of the original Flygvapnet manuals, or close up photos just ask.

The Airfix kit is far from perfect and a lot of work is required, including:

- correcting the out of shape canopy (I built a "collar" bring it up to correct height)

- panel lines are a cross between B.2 and B.6 so a lot of filling and re-scribing is in the order

- fin fillet too big

- rear fuselage badly out of shape

A couple of photos of my Blyertspennan

26783a00-4b17-4c8b-a6dd-f9f240e9f632.JPG

6d526abe-f32a-48b7-96d2-0a4a4a10212d.JPG

61920baa-0466-49c8-ab0e-98c2dfc0d733.JPG

And some reference material just to bring up your appetite😉

c78c957f-c747-42e2-8a2d-946119c2aef5.JPG

Cheers and God Jul!

Antti

• Like 4

Thank you Matave and Moggy🙂 I'm glad that you guys like my Tp52. What a fantastic aircraft she was...

"Kronmärken" (national insignias), Wing and Aircraft numbers came from Flying Colors. Stencils are from The Aviation Workshop/Model Alliance Decals sheet MAS-489018. Those yellow "FARA" markings are from surplus A32 Lansen decals and "TRAMPA EJ HÄR" (on top of the navigator compartment) came from a J26 decal sheet.

My longtime pipe dream is S102 Korpen (Hugin eller Munin) in 1/48 scale...

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

That's right Dennis. The two ELINT planes operated by the Swedish Air Force have been (unofficially) called Hugin and Munin for ages. Even before the Canberra.

I had a chance to talk to one of the S102 pilots and he told me that the ELINT gathering missions are the worst. Flying for hours at extremely high altitudes is a very chilly business indeed. I agree; I used to spend over three hours at a time flying at 51.000 feet on a survey missions. No matter what you wore you ended up frozen.

The Swedish pilot said that the "problem" lies with the operators who sit on the ground asking for one more orbit... Earlier they manned the cabin but nowadays it's just the two pilots.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1