Lancaster Mk VII turret

bentwaters81tfw

Frank,

The Squadron vacform canopy sets for the B-26, B-24, or PV-1 Ventura would have one. I'm not a 1/48 modeler, so don't know if Falcon did any 1/48 WW2 vacform canopy sets for the same aircraft. If you've got a buddy who has one of the kits mentioned, maybe you could make a master and plunge mold or vacuform one? Best I can do, off the top of my pointed little head! BTW, the VII and the X with the Martin turret are my favorite Lancs!

Mike

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I'm looking for a Martin top turret for the above in 1/48 scale.  (Just the glazing would do.)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use?

Thanks

Frank

The MARTIN 250CE turret was also installed on the following aircraft as well as the Lancaster :

MARTIN B-26 MARAUDER

CONSOLIDATED B-24 LIBERATOR

DOUGLAS A-20 HAVOC

BOEING YB-40

CONSOLIDATED PB4Y-1 AND PB4Y-2 PRIVATEER 

P2V NEPTUNE

Have a look in the stash/spares box as a starter?

Selwyn

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

The MARTIN 250CE turret was also installed on the following aircraft as well as the Lancaster :

MARTIN B-26 MARAUDER

CONSOLIDATED B-24 LIBERATOR

DOUGLAS A-20 HAVOC

BOEING YB-40

CONSOLIDATED PB4Y-1 AND PB4Y-2 PRIVATEER 

P2V NEPTUNE

Have a look in the stash/spares box as a starter?

Selwyn

All I have is a vacform Hi-Hat for a B-24, and a spare B-P with the FM Halifax

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

Correct, Sir Selwyn, as usual, but I was only intending to list sources in 1/48 scale, which I think is the scale of the model he wants to build. I know Koster did a Privateer conversion in 1/48, but long, long, OOP and a pretty extravagant way to score a turret transparency...unless your name is Gates!

Mike

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Correct, Sir Selwyn, as usual, but I was only intending to list sources in 1/48 scale, which I think is the scale of the model he wants to build. I know Koster did a Privateer conversion in 1/48, but long, long, OOP and a pretty extravagant way to score a turret transparency...unless your name is Gates!

Mike

"Not a problem for us rich affluent types!"

Seriously,  I was suggesting  using an  existing kit part as something to perhaps make a copy.

Selwyn

• Like 1

I'm planning to do one in 1/72, too, so I think it's great to know that I'm not the only person to think that it's not sacrilegious to butcher such an iconic aircraft.  Just look at the photos closely - the Martin turret with its .50s was somewhat heavier, so the turret was moved forward a few feet to compensate for CG issues.... :)

The dome on the CWH is not representative of the type used on the later Lancaster X (KB855 on). The prototype for the Martin turret fitting, KB783, had a a dome like the CWH one, but  this was replaced with another version, on the production aircraft.

This dome is similar to a B-24 top turret. The Lancaster X had more of a raised central portion. It actually looks more like a latter upper turret from a B-17.

Mrp