A Cast of Hawks - well, 2 to be precise - first go at a tandem build!*** COMPLETED ***

clive_t

18 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Like many weathering techniques a lot comes down to personal preference, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself as it looks good. It's also difficult to capture in the lighting. What I would say - and again it comes down to personal preference i.e. mine in this instance - is that the effect tends to work better when you use little dots of a lighter shade, for example such as a lighter green, lighter brown on green and brown camo, interspersed by the odd white and yellow dot. I find they tend to blend in to give a natural worn or faded effect. Of course it is a matter of the best way to plant spuds or the best spaghetti bolognaise recipe - a million billion different versions, all produce good results and all have their own merits. 

That's useful advice, thank you. I used yellow / white for the Airfix upper surfaces, and black / white for the underside. With the MisterCraft, I went with white / burnt sienna for the upper, and just white for the underside. I suspect the burnt sienna was slightly too dark for the brown sections, but I guess I can revisit with some yellow. At this time my available colour options with oils are limited, but hopefully I can put that right in due course.

A significant event occurred in Camp MisterCraft this morning - she's up on her feet! I also took the opportunity to fit a slightly better looking pitot tube, using the spare generously donated by Camp Airfix:

eEok9jz.jpg

Not far to go on this one now.

• Like 5

Similar story from the Airfix camp:

SgR7L9D.jpg

I am waiting on a delivery of PE gunsights from the Big H, so hopefully we're not far off completion here either :)

I managed to record the re-showing of the film 'Red Tails' last night, and watched it today. The second time I've seen it, although it was interesting this time round to see them flying P-40s before the more synonymous P-51s!

• Like 5

19 hours ago, azureglo said:

You.Will.Drive.Yourself.Crazy.Putting.These.In.

Well, seeing as I was driven crazy a long time ago, this didn't really present any problems:

Ax9r08D.jpg

:analintruder:

• Like 1

Well, here they are in all their glory - well as much glory as they would attain in my hands anyway!

Calling these two done now; they both got over the line pretty much together which was what I was hoping to achieve.

Presenting the MisterCraft P-40K - as opposed to P-40E which is what I was originally led to believe I would be building - finished in the livery of aircraft number 10, the mount of Captain Gordon Hyde of the 78th Fighter Squadron, 18th Fighter Group, Kauai Island in 1943:

E168aRs.jpg

Presenting also, the Airfix Hawk 81-A-2, finished in the livery of aircraft no 21, flown by Greg Boyington of the 1st Pursuit Squadron, AVG, China, 1941:

0KHDiKu.jpg

A couple of quite enjoyable builds :)  Each presented their own challenges along the way of course, but I'm quite pleased with how they've both turned out.

Thanks to all who commented, advised, suggested, laughed or just stopped by to watch the fun unfold!

Hopefully an RFI (possibly 2 separate ones) will follow in due course! :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

Thanks Cookie, although to be fair to Messrs MisterCraft they'd have to take a large lump hammer to their moulds in order to get down to the quality of the Amodel SPAD SA.4 kit I did recently - in my humble opinion, of course ;)

I am reminded of the fact that I have actually done a MisterCraft kit before, which also presented challenges a-plenty! This one, in fact:

nMxxvVO.jpg

It is of course the Aichi D3A1 'Val', which was moulded in a hideous pale blue plastic! That said, I will be honest and say I wouldn't rule out doing another kit from them; although only if I was feeling particularly masochistic - which happens now and again :D

• Like 1

• clive_t changed the title to A Cast of Hawks - well, 2 to be precise - first go at a tandem build!*** COMPLETED ***