1/72 Hasegawa F-14A VF-41 Black Aces

gota

Hi,

After picking up the hobby again in 2017, this felt like a much needed rite of passage: building the one kit I drooled upon as a kid.

I'm happy with the result of this first try, even though I could have worked better on the front joint and tried some oil weathering before I decided to wrap it up. I managed to snag a few of the 90s boxings since, so this won't be the last cat on my shelves, I just had to leave myself some room for improvement 😅.

Hasegawa Atlantic fleet boxing with quickboost seats. Painted with Mr Color. Decals are a mix of the box and a chinese Hobby Boss knockoff sheet (red hues are all over the place, although it's mostly hidden by my mediocre photography).

mEdOfyF.jpg

F04Suso.jpg

SdRMslj.jpg

SXKFi1w.jpg

faiZwFj.jpg

EugeIi5.jpg

9Ph7l2k.jpg

Thanks for watching!

• Like 53

• 3 weeks later...

building the one kit I drooled upon as a kid

Like you, I drooled over a Hasegawa Tomcat when I was younger...the boxing was K38 and had the lower-viz VF-84 Jolly Rogers box-art, couldn't get it where I lived at the time. It just occurred to me, this might be the same kit? K38 was also Atlantic Squadrons, I don't know what the other decal options were aside fromVF-84.....

You've done a great job, I built a few of the other Hasegawa F-14 boxings in my youth and I remember they all took a lot of labour to get a good result...your's looks fantastic!

• Like 1

Thank you all!

39 minutes ago, AeroNautique said:

Like you, I drooled over a Hasegawa Tomcat when I was younger...the boxing was K38 and had the lower-viz VF-84 Jolly Rogers box-art, couldn't get it where I lived at the time. It just occurred to me, this might be the same kit? K38 was also Atlantic Squadrons, I don't know what the other decal options were aside fromVF-84.....

This was built using basically a re-edit from the 1989 new mold K38 Atlantic fleet squadrons boxing, E14,  originally released in 2000. You get VF-84 lo and hi viz, VF-31 with red tail and VF-102. I originally went for the Tomcatters livery I saw as a kid, but plans changed as I gathered more kits and decals, including a K38 kit ;)

From what I can tell now that I have seen a few of those Hasegawa kits, all post 2000 kits suffer from flash, warping and faded engraving in places. The PE fret is also slightly different. Decal sheet colours were off aswell, with reds being rather maroonish.

Edited by gota
  • Like 1

Meow- very nice Tomcat! I'm not all that familiar with F-14 kits, but the guys here who are say it's not a shake and bake model by any means- you appear to have really done it justice. I, for one, am glad to see an F-14 that isn't streaked, weathered, and dirtied up  within an inch of its life! Well done and a four-oh job!

Mike

• Like 1

Nice job on a kit that's notoriously unforgiving, just like its bigger 48th scale brother. I'm in a cage death match with a 72nd one now.

I turn to the 48th scale Tamiya Tomcat when my frustration level gets too high...

-d-

• 6 months later...

Great work mate.

I'm wondering what would be the best option for an F-14 (any models) in 1/72 since the Hasegawa is showing it's age?

Edited by ArmouredSprue
spell
  • Like 1