RAAF CA-24 Cyclone Mk1 (Hawker P.1081 kitbash)

In 1949, Hawker designed the P1081 in response to an Australian requirement for a fighter  to be licence built in Australia.  The P1081 is thus often referred to as the 'Australian Fighter' and first flew in 1950.  Due to engine delays and other concerns, Australia selected the NA F-86 instead but what if the RAAF had picked the P1081?

Hawker reverted to its WW2 storm naming tradition and named the P1081 the Hawker Cyclone.  The RAAF contracted Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation to licence build 72 as the CA-24 Cyclone.  30 as the Mk1 and a further 42 as the Mk2 aircraft with additional hardpoints.   This one, A86-132, is the last from the first production batch built at the CAC factory in Fishermans Bend.  She is shown in service with 3 Squadron based at RAAF Williamtown in August 1956.  

1081-1-Copy.jpg

1081-3-Copy.jpg

1081-0-Copy.jpg

1081-12-Copy.jpg

1081-2-Copy.jpg

1081-4a-Copy.jpg

1081-6-Copy.jpg

1081-8-Copy.jpg

There is a Maintrack/Whirlybird vacform of the P1081 and I have it in the stash but something made me want to build one from injection parts.  I was not trying to exactly replicate a P1081 although this is very close to it.  The main difference is that I changed the cockpit to that used on the production Sea Hawk as I think that is a change that would have happened if it had gone into production.  This is an Airfix Sea Hawk nose section and a PM Models Sabre rear fuselage.  The wing roots are from the Sea Hawk but relocated forward, intakes enlarged and faired in to the large fillet at the rear of the wing.   The wings are cut down from an Airfix Hunter.  The fin and tailplanes are cut down from a Frog Hunter F1.  In hindsight, I suspect a production version might have got a larger fin!

Here's how she looked before painting - not a pretty sight!

SANY1429-Copy.jpg

Comments and criticisms are welcomed and thanks for looking.

David

• Like 29

Well now, you learn something every day.  I was not familiar with the P1081, but I must say it is a handsome aircraft.  Very clearly a Hawker design (love those wing root inlets).  The F-86 is a pretty bird in itself, and quintessentially American, but it seems a pity that the Aussie's did not go with this one.  Might have come up with a more evocative name than "Cyclone" but we will never know.  Nicely executed model of a very interesting subject, Mr. Womby.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 12:24 AM, Bigglesworth said:

Might have come up with a more evocative name than "Cyclone" but we will never know.  Nicely executed model of a very interesting subject, Mr. Womby.

I picked Cyclone because it followed one of Hawker's naming traditions but it is geographically  a Pacific term.  Also, I couldn't come up with an Australian animal or weapon name that worked for me or hadn't been used.  My friend suggested Wombat given my surname but I didn't fancy it. 😀

David

On 12/25/2018 at 1:07 AM, Devo said:

Nice, looks like Dad was a Hunter....!

Actually the other way round, the P1081 was first but you can see the common ideas.  It's surprisingly smaller than a Hunter!1081-13-Copy.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

Nice model and back story. I think the Sabre was a better choice!

You may be interested to know one made it into our CAC display this year.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_aircraft/spasm-display-australian-model-expo-2018-t9913.html#p100226

Scroll about halfway down.

Thanks, Ed.  I tend to agree that the Sabre was a better choice.  Although a P.1081 purchase may have lead to a later Hunter purchase which would make another great whatif model!

Great display and terrific to see the CA-23 and CA-31 models built.  I always thought the CA-23 was a fantastic looking design.  I assume they are the Uncle Les resins?

David

10 hours ago, David Womby said:

may have lead to a later Hunter purchase which would make another great whatif model!

I assume they are the Uncle Les resins?

That may well be true - the alternative RAAF = P.1081, Hunter, Lightning (or maybe something else), Eurofighter!

Yes, they are the Uncle Les kits - basic but very nice resin kits - still available I imagine.