1/72 Italeri A-10A Desert Storm

gota

Hello,

Here is my first RFI on this board. 

This is a fun Italeri kit I built in early 2018, and recently completed by adding tanks from a F-111 and sidewinders/launcher from another A-10, both Hasegawa boxings.

Paint scheme mixed from Tamiya paints, simple wash and weathering with AK paneliner.

Please excuse the photography, this is one of many things I am struggling with :)

For a detailed and much more accurate build of the same kit, you should visit @giemme's thread: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235032010-its-a-hog-172-italeri-a-10a-thunderbolt-ii-completed-pg32/

qvzGLQR.jpg

kV9ypxf.jpg

00XXhYf.jpg

EKNLmQn.jpg

evdEA9S.jpg

qzRSh3Y.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 39

Yeah. baby!  Lovely job.  I built the same kit a couple of months back and it was an enjoyable build.   A10 is my favourite plane, a really nasty looking piece of flying iron that you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of.  BRRRRRRRRRRRT!

• Like 1

Nice model and nice pics, gota :clap: :clap:. Have you been using a stand to take them? If not, I suggest you use one, and use the timer to actually snap the pic. It helps avoiding the micro-blurriness

Also, did you use any aftermarkets for this build?

Ciao and Merry Christmas

• Like 1

Thanks giemme.

I've used a stand, been following a few tutorials but I just cannot get that camera to behave in a consistent manner. I need more experience with it really, but I was eager to post this build in 2018 😎

No AM parts except for the pilot from that Revell pilots set and said Hasegawa bits. Just some stretched sprue here and there.

• Like 2

Beautiful model!

I also have struggled with model photography! Here are some of the things I've learned - SO FAR!!

You might just try the camera on auto setting first -- you may get lucky!  I didn't so here's what I do:

Set film speed equivalent of the camera to 100. (ISO)

Try to use your setting which allows you to control aperture (mine is AV), and start at about 12 or so. How much light you have will control this setting. The higher the setting, the more of your model will be sharp, but no need for more than whatever it takes. Sometimes a lower setting here will focus on a certain area for emphasis, but blur other areas not of interest. For most modeling photos, you want the whole thing in sharp focus.  Again, the higher this setting the more light OR longer exposure time you'll need.

If your camera has it, try to set the White Balance to coincide with your lighting conditions -- you camera instructions should tell you how.

Also, the combination of lens opening (aperture) and light may require a long exposure time, definitely try and use a tripod of stand for the camera.  Also, see whether your camera will allow for a 2-second or so delay after pushing the button, until the camera fires off. This will allow all movement from the camera to settle before the shot is taken (a remote cable or control might help this also).  Also, some cameras will allow a setting where the glass portion covering the camera sensor will lift out of the way and stabilize  before the camera fires. 

You might also assure that you camera's anti-shake feature in on when hand-held and that the lens size agrees with the anti-shake setting. My camera is a Pentax, so everything is in the body. Most other brands have the shake reduction built into each lens, so your mileage may vary.

Lastly, and the thing I'm still working on, is to check each image's histogram, to make certain that the brightest and darkest areas are not being clipped. You are trying to get more of the picture toward the center of the histogram, rather than on either edge.  With my setup, the camera seems to need an added .03 of one step extra exposure to generate the best histogram.

Lastly, do what I do, get a good photo-editing program, and "pixel Peak" the darned thing to correct what you couldn't figure out how to get the camera to do!

Ed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks great, very well done.

I built an Italeri A-10 for the 10 Anniversary GB, earlier this year.And

I have a colleague from the USA, his neighbour is an A10 pilot.

Each year there's an exercise he does, that results in an A10 airshow over his house.

He was very interested to see my model when it took it to work,  between the decals and undercarriage stages.

• Like 1