NZ Civvy Mustang

Paul J

Just bought myself the new( rather expensive for a small set) Ventura decals for civil marked Mustang in New Zealand ZK-CCG. Found several pics on line but something I would like to know is did it have a back seat or was it stock single seat?  I know it had the head rest/ armour removed at some point though.

Hi Paul,

I suspect it was a single seat, can't find any reference to conversion to a two seat. Some great shots here:Looky

Dave

PS have just read page 3 of that particular thread and it mentions that some work was undertaken to fit a second seat but that it was never completed.

Edited by Fastcat
Missed a bit

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

Mustang in New Zealand ZK-CCG

Fastcat,

Here's her history! Can't tell you anything regarding the second seat, but very likely, as most of the time the radios and racks are removed, as is the 85-gallon fuselage tank, and a jump seat is fitted where the radio fit used to be. You are right- the absence of the armor plate/headrest is not always an accurate indication of a 2-seat conversion. Best I can do, I'm afraid. Perhaps contacting the owner?

Mike

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/survivors/serial/45-11507

• Like 1

Hi Paul

I am the poster on that thread agalbraith, that info there is probably the best you will get on ZK-CCG.  Greg is my very good friend and one of my licensed engineers for my Auster T.7 rebuild.  Greg mentioned to me once that his dad John, didn't particularly like the red stripes on the flying surfaces as he thought they made it look like a flying candy bar!  They eventually got removed

I wish I could get those markings in 32nd scale still as I am building the Tamiya kit in 32nd scale for him as his Dad's plane.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers

Anthony

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your help so far.  In one of the pics I came across it can just be made out that the rear cockpit still has the radio and tank. At least that what it looks like. The new Ventura decals do look very tasty and itching to use them.  When I get round to starting the build.... after my trip to NZ in February  2019..... not long to go now...

I'll probably use the current 1/72 Airfix P-51 and the Pavla prop blades for the square tipped cuffless prop.  But any more info is much appreciated.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Are you going to Wings over Wairarapa, 22-24 Feb?

I would love to!!! The 24th being my birthday. I saw the ad in Flypast magazine here in UK a couple issues ago and was excited to see that I may well get to a show in NZ  BUT....very upset because I'll be in Auckland that weekend and I see it s a long to head back south for the show sadly.  

My tour starts in South Island and heading to the North Island ending up in Sydney for a couple days before heading home after a few days in Auckland where I intend to at least visit MOTAT.

Some other places...

Wanaka wings and wheels museum

Airforce museum in Christchurch

Omaka (Peter Jackson's WW1 dioramas - a must see)

all in the South Island.

MOTAT has two sites with a tram between them. start with the aviation site, it's got more parking.

The easiest way to get to Hood aerodrome from AKL is to fly to Wellington, and rent a car - it's about 1.5-2 hours drive. Distinctly possible - on one of my birthdays I flew to Auckland from Wellington just to see the BMW art cars....

Looking up the fares (airnz), you could fly out at 7am, back at 8.30pm for $260. That would give you 7 hours at Hood...