Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

9 hours ago, perdu said:

And on cue

A small, heavy and very solid package arrived today

Nobody told me I'd have to put the bits together

Oh well, all those years with spanners (yes and WD40) won't be wasted

They sent me an Allen Key too, yippee!

I'm sure a man of your intellect will suss it out Bill … might take a couple of million years though … :winkgrin:

Ape.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Fair does Tomo, took me fifteen minutes

Wonderful bit of kit too

Unlike the Merlin fuselage of umpteen parts

Two sides

Two infill side panels

One front bulkhead and cockpit bits count them as two for now

Four pieces of folding tailcone/tailrotor upstand

Two pieces of main tail cone

One cabin floor

One cabin ceiling

One rear bulkhead

Fifteen if we miss out the console and seats inside

Phew, no wonder nothing fits

😱

• Like 5

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Phew, no wonder nothing fits

Italeri based their model on this one.

Disintegration-of-the-Merlin-helicopter-

I'm halfway through doing an Algerian SAR one using the HC3 as a starting point. 128 modifications (excluding the different interior.)

Luckily the Navy one doesn't have the added panels on the boom and ramp section or you may have come across some new words!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Richard these are of the interior of a Portuguese Merlin, not Algerian but they seem to be based on a HC3 so I wonder if they can help?

11565123345-14d5fd2630-b.jpg

Lloyd's work is superb isnt it?

11565119935-746d5f9bc7-b.jpg

I expect they are in your pot too but I thought you might like 'em

I do

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill,I hadn't seen them.

Mine is all closed up now and 2 week's work is invisible!

I put a beam in for the monkey harness like they have in the Danish ones. Don't tell anybody. 

Mind you with long tweezers it could come out.

The blue waterproof floor cover will do an excellent job of hiding the gap at the door.

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:03 PM, perdu said:

Thanks for that Martian, fortunately I had it sorted earlier this afternoon

If you can fit the water pump to an 1850 Dolly engine it didn't take long to get it working

Tell you what, watching the cutter rotate without moving off centre is awesome but I've not used it on any tasks yet

I've painting to do

The cutter went together easily except for that anti-slip ring for the bottom

Stuck nicely to me...

😕

Meh, cant make Homer Simpson stencils  though (doh) ..

BTW is it true that Lotus Esprits used re-purposed Triumph DOHC lumps? I'm curious as I was the "proud" owner of a new S3 in the early eighties that did everything from destroying its own water pump to drop an intake valve within six months, maybe it wasn't Colin's fault after all..as a Triumph man, you should be able to shed some light..

• Sad 1

As a happy ex-Dolomite owner I cant answer the question although after my experiences with THAT ENGINE I'm happy to add that I will never own another car using the damned thing

I needed to change the cylinder head gasket, in the Relay base at night with no prospects for immediate call-out we tried

And tried

And tried

The head nuts came off easily but the studs had rotted the aluminalike substance the head was made of and would not unscrew to allow the head to lift

Dissimilar metal corrosion from early stages of the head gasket leaking had welded (ish) the studs to the holes in the head

The head studs were inserted at two different angles to 'assist the head nuts to seal the joint' [Triumph company explanation, later discovered] and because of  the acute angles stopped me sliding the head up past the studs as per normal practise

I had to make a tubular rotating saw that could cut away the rotten ally so the stud could be released and unscrewed

I made the tubular saw from a thin walled copper tube with teeth filed into the lower edge which when rotated allowed the corrosion to be cut away without cutting the cylinder head metal

N E V E R  A G A I N

Anyway, back on track

Using the lovely photos Andy linked to I have made  this

P1010125.jpg

P1010127.jpg

P1010128.jpg

The intention is to cast from both ends of this

P1010130.jpg

Let's let some light in on this

P1010131.jpg

The intention? a couple of casts from the plasticene then see if it fits nicely

Not easy if you don't get the dimensions first but once I have the casts I can adjust the blanks for size then remake them in adjusted mode

Came across  this wee broon helicopter when I was 'tidying' the working corner of the hobby room, tucked away beneath a bookshelf behind some boxes

P1010129.jpg

Thought it'd been bided away in another room, now I know why casual peeks always missed it

Has to be a prospect for another 'Quick Build' doesn't it?

;)

• Like 11

I popped some resin on the cooker and popped out a couple of the flare unit blanks ready to trim them to finished shape

That isnt easy, the shape changes from each viewing point, I just cant get the look right from every angle

P1010133.jpg

basic awaiting trimmage

And glued on

P1010134.jpg

P1010135.jpg

More trimmage to come  :(

I need to get it to look like this

P1010140.jpg

Sorry about the blurrage, picture capture needed me to hold it still but shaky old hands couldn't comply  :(

P1010142.jpg

Time for top coat methinks, maybe Halifax is on the cards

Hope so

• Like 8

A little more, of the one step forwards - one step -- well you know which direction don't you?  :(

A picture to paint the scene

P1010145.jpg

I am signing off on the structure of the CH-53D and began adding my home brew transfers

Then stopped

What do I spend time muttering at Ced?

That's right gloss first, not straight on top of matte paint 

So back to the garage tomorrow (or later, I have a first physio session in the morning) for glossing over

(Tamiya paint so Tamiya aerosol varnish see)

Hence I carried on with the Merlin, what a nightmare

Filler in copious quantities on the tail cone joint

On the roof of the cabin

And underneath the belly of the beast

Still not done, she will not be at Halifax, the Sea Stallion might

Just to show that I might have exaggerated the relative sizes of  these two load shifters, here's an up to date overhead

P1010146.jpg

Merlin is big but there must be a six foot extra length on the CH-53D, still not to be sniffed at huh

The tailcone joints on both sides will keep Humbrol's filler factory in overtime if the Italeri one gets popular

If...

P1010148.jpg

This is when we need Airfix to announce a dual type kit in 1/72ths scale as well as a 1/48th one for Crisp

(ooh look, you can see the top of the sonobuoy launcher through the window! Wave Bill...)

P1010147.jpg

Last shot for tonight, model making tomorrow now

Netflix calls...

:)

• Like 11

Nice one Bill. But erm...

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, perdu said:

I popped some resin on the cooker and popped out a couple of the flare unit blanks ready

Next time I'm round your gaff, don't think I'm being rude, but I'll stick to toast thanks...

• Haha 1

Well Halifax looking possible for the Stallion, huh?

P1010150.jpg

One side of the home brew transfers is on but hence as it is Tuesday and it's steak night at 'spoons a hiatus is called for

Maybe get some of the other side on, later

No money on it, back from dinner then after a cuppa and a bit of telly it's Down The Pub for the end of the evening's festivities

Champion!

• Like 11

If you hadn't said those decals/transfers/stickers were home brewed I would have thought they were professionally printed ones!

Very nice work

Roger

• Thanks 1

Nice progress on show here Bill and as to that little Kiowa kit, methinks it would look great in blue and white Australian Navy colours. (Hawkeye do a decal sheet for it as well)

Martian 👽

• Like 1

10 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Um, looking good, Bill, except...

....whereas the previous 'Marines' title appeared to be a little too big (which may have contributed to its starkness), this one's looking undersized...

....or, more accurately, short. The height looks OK, but the 'S' on this side - and the 'M' on the other - should be aft of the countermeasures unit...

....the titles on the Airfix kit sheet are pretty much spot on - if you overlay it with yours it should give you an idea of where the difference occurs...

....it looks to me like you've used Amarillo - that's the USAF font, and it is different to USN_Stencil, as pictured (USN_Stencil top, Amarillo bottom): 

1019173967_o.jpg

USN_Stencil's available to download free here, if you haven't got it:

https://www.dafont.com/usn-stencil.font

Thanks for the link Andy it will be very handy but as this is supposed to be quick I am not going to change now

Takes me too long to get new ones printed and varnished and I want this on our club table on Sunday

I might refinish it later but to be honest it likely won't

Well have to see

Its been a great learning curve for me, all this stuff you know about US Marines machinery has been brilliant...

Thinking about it I might still redo the MARINES legend for rectification and leave the rest

Busy day ahead

• Like 2