Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

Im building no 51 of HMH-362, 157748 and this is the one which has the Betty Boop engine blanks of course

Looking at my pictures of the beast the disco set is covered in a green canvas cover which means 'no brainer'

I can look for the metallised glass look some other day, yeehaw

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When I was checking out the AN/ALQ157 I discovered a superb photo of the unit and blow me down if I might not even be able to make a pair now

Who guessed?

I want you all to feel sorry for me now

I have to go out into my dark chilly garage, there's touching in to do on my Sea Vixen before tomorrow

See y'all laters

• Like 1

Well Bill urban legend has it that the Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET) was invented to create a Command and Control System to survive a nuclear attack. I will retire to bed this evening, snug, safe and sound, fully reassured with a copy of Protect and Survive under my pillow that if Brum is nuked, I will still be able to enjoy your thrilling build...and the other threads on Britmodeller of course :winkgrin:

• Haha 5

On 12/21/2018 at 9:43 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

A Bill Wobbycopter build.  In fact two BWs.  Yum yum.  

I wish someone would would release a 1/48 ASW Merlin, but breath not held.  I have the Airfix HC3 in my stash, probably to be built as a Junglie Mk4, but I could be tempted to convert it to ASW...

However, I am no Merlin expert; questions elsewhere, Young William!

Hi Crisp, the road to an HM 48th Merlin is not easy but has a look at my attempt on here from a couple (maybe more) years back. I need to get back to it. Airfix will not be doing it so, "hands to the pumps".

Bill, there are pics of the interior if you have a dig around, all is not a secret.

Colin

• Thanks 1

Hi Bill, just trolled through the ten pages of your double helo build. How could I have missed it for all these weeks? Poked my ore on above with a couple of chirps, re progress at the time and those questions seem to have been answered.

I did a lot of research and called in favours from BM freinds re my HM build in 48th. I have a mountain of ref, not quite as high as my Wessex mountain but sufficient to bog me down at times. Sadly I stalled on that build but intend to return to it this year.

The Airifx CH, is a nice kit and has faired well over time but yes need a lot of TLC. I built one in USAF markings of the film recovery unit used. I'll try and find an image to post here.

Italeti didn't pay enough attention the the Merlin not like they do to their armour kits, which is a pity. Same goes for the 1/9th bike kits, lots left to be desired...

I have the popcorn at hand and my seat pulled up to continue the watch...

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...wanders onstage left acting as if he has been frantically modelmaking rather than indulging in the works of others far better able...

The CH-53D rests its topcoat down in the garage so the erstwhile modeller returns to the Merlin which has several little touches to add before close up day

The dinghy looking thing has been glued down and a set of retaining straps added (Why? Well just because)

The retaining bracketry for the Sonobuoy unit and the assorted cabling as seen in the BM Walkabout added too

Dangly spiral wires for the headsets of the wandering dissid.. crew added as was the Help Which Way Is The Door? white thing above the display operators seats

Behind the sonar winch a large buffish looking hose/duct kind of thing rises out of sight from my perusal of the photos, this will do for me anyway and  the hydraulic hoses that operate (?) the dunking winch have been imitated

I don't plan adding much if anything more, it must be close up and paint time soon

Et voila

P1010106.jpg

Winch hydraulic hoses and dinghy looking thingy strapped to the deck

P1010108.jpg

Hosey ducty thing behind the dunker

P1010109.jpg

A rare, soon to become historic blurry view from the open side showing the Sonobuoy unit bracketry and bright vivid red cabling which will dive behind the sound deadening stuff when the halves get united finally

Some sharp eyed onlookers may notice the one bit missing from inside

There is a big double walled dooberry that holds spare sonobuoys (presumably the odd flare too) which is underway now

Hundreds of holes to drill out symmetrically

As you see FAIL

P1010111.jpg

But since all anyone will see is a grey rack on which some holes are visible

Oh well...

P1010112.jpg

Probably glue day for Merlin tomorrow

Night all

• Like 11

To be honest Ian that was my first thought when I saw the pictures

Still not entirely convinced.....

Secretive bunch they jack tars, who knows what Jolly Jack gets up to when he's away from Mother?

• Like 1

On 04/01/2019 at 10:50, perdu said:

I knew it was going to happen, didn't think I'd be this daft though

£24.05 on the 'bay 

DSPIAE MT-C Step less, a slightly less bulky (and possibly a tad more awkward to use, well see) version

Should arrive just before February...

😨

I must be mad...

😣😣😣😣

And on cue

A small, heavy and very solid package arrived today

Nobody told me I'd have to put the bits together

Oh well, all those years with spanners (yes and WD40) won't be wasted

They sent me an Allen Key too, yippee!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Oh, show us...

Jeff

Okay

P1010121.jpg

this came as several parts to screw together, moins destructions

After a period of fettling this became

P1010119.jpg

Note I have left the very sharp cutter out for now, held in place cunningly with a magnet in the centre springyscrewythingy

The whole thing has a very tidy looking case to park it in between uses

If...

P1010120.jpg

And back to the Merlin, the racking painted grey and nailed down to the floor

Near as I can guess from the Walkaround

P1010114.jpg

P1010116.jpg

Right that will do for me

Time for glue!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Now I have the CH-53D in finals in the paintshop I am trying to identify the attachment seen in the crop

If I get a couple of reasonable decent pictures I will try to make the devices from plasticard, can anyone advise where to search

Trying to guess US classifications is a hopeless task for a beginner so I cant even call it up on Googly

Anyway, this if you can help

101103-M-5889-H-007acroppage.jpg

It looks as if it is 'handed' too

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, that isnt quite the same arrangement but I think I can cobble up a suitable bracket for them

A great help mate, ta

Now back to the Euromachine  :)

Suddenly we have this

P1010123.jpg

I knew it was coming so it has not hit me like a sledgehammer but what looked delightful in 'the component' as a model has some diabolical fit issues

P1010124.jpg

But frankly after so long waiting I just do not mind

The tailcone is not yet glued on but remains a pleasure to come tonight

yeehawww!

• Like 9

Instructions for the circle cutter here: http://www.dspiae.com/en/a/chanpinzhanshi/gongnenshafa/2018/44.html

Keep at it Bill, you are getting there. Once you have the fuselage tidied up, it should be easier going.

Supportive of Mars 👽

• Like 1

Thanks for that Martian, fortunately I had it sorted earlier this afternoon

If you can fit the water pump to an 1850 Dolly engine it didn't take long to get it working

Tell you what, watching the cutter rotate without moving off centre is awesome but I've not used it on any tasks yet

I've painting to do

The cutter went together easily except for that anti-slip ring for the bottom

Stuck nicely to me...

😕

• Like 1