Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

Good move for the chromate painting. It is a standard yellow chromate finish inside the transmission deck and it can be quite stark but in 1/72 scale and in a closed up condition little if any of that yellow can be seen. In fact, to add to the depth perception I would paint it a dark grey colour, like EDSG or even black, but I'm not saying you should.

I'm not too fond of seeing stark interior greens or chromate colours shining brightly with open panels or pushed rear cockpit canopies, but I'm not too fond of modern weathering techniques either but that's just me.

For the countermeasures, should you require additional info PM me.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

A nother new question arises, is the hoist available elsewhere or must a chap scratch one?

Not the same on Wildcat is it?

Oh well, out with the pencils.

Draughting ensues...

Maybe time to DO etching for that lovely support structure

Or just carve plasticard, I'm only building the one

😎

• Like 3

20 hours ago, perdu said:

20190110-142136.jpg

Catching up here after many Christmas and New Year distractions Bill. Great progress and as @andyf117 has already observed, I too hadn't realised that the Merlin is similar in size to the CH-53.

A very Helicopterish thread indeed!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I'm only building the one

That's what Henry Ford said! 😉

Damn sorry to hear of the back pain blighting matters Bill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On prompting, seriously niggly prompting from Richard I have succumbed

Richard reminded me, kindly grrr, that the pairs of blades on the tail rotor are fitted overlapping and Signor Italeri didn't apply the overlap to the blades in the kit

Go on go on, he said, you know you won't be happy if you...

And of course the blighter was right so I have applied some of the old "off wiv two blades and stick'em on better" treatment

To be honest, I think it looks far better

Do you?

IMG-20190112-090955.jpg

The up and down blades have been adjusted and the acrosstix have been left as moulded

Its a shame they got it wrong, a simple mould adjustment would have given us one of the best moulded tail rotors I've ever come across in years of helicopters

The detail is top notch

😕

• Like 8

On 1/12/2019 at 10:00 AM, perdu said:

Richard reminded me, kindly grrr, that the pairs of blades on the tail rotor are fitted overlapping

To be fair its not that obvious.

merlin5.jpg

On 1/12/2019 at 10:00 AM, perdu said:

I have applied some of the old "off wiv two blades and stick'em on better" treatment

Don't worry folks..he's got a spare blade :)

s-l225.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Two

For which gift I am very grateful thank you

Some greeblies going on, here is then cover for the exhaust vent which appears to be cooling the electronics in the multi screen display unit in the cabin

The kit didn't have anything like this on it and the pieces Richard sent had a vent cover in with them but it was larger than the one on the side of the cabin I took pictures of at Yeovilton so I made this one from a piece of a Royal Navy Lynx hoist I had left over from years ago

20190112-152941.jpg

Blue it was

20190112-152933.jpg

Some of the bitsas Richard sent have been useful, including maybe the tail rotors

Certainly a small casing for the starb'd tail section is now in place

The CH-53 cockpit canopy glasswork has now been masked ready for painting, Light Gull Grey goes on tomorrow

And now, washing up

See ya

• Like 10

ouch!     Sorry to hear/see that Bill. 

Everything was coming along so well.  However we all know you and we all know that you will take a deep breath, maybe kick the dog a couple of times, rework what is necessary and move ahead, making it even better in the process

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bill,

I just wanted to remind you not to thin Xtracrilics with water!!!

...Sorry , I couldn't resist!!!

After several attempts with distilled water, I opted for the Xtracrilics thinner and the result is great!

To remove them, I normally use alcohool, as in Italy you can buy it at the supermarket for cleaning purposes ot at the pharmacy, But I hear here in the UK it isn't so easy, thus...I have no suggestion apart from reminding you not to thin Xtracrilics with water!!!

I'm joking, because after having seen how you recovered from the incident with gloss white on the Buccaneer, I'm confident you won't be stopped by a simple grey which can't be thinned with water!!!

Did I mention not to..........????:rofl:

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Massimo said:

Hi Bill,

I just wanted to remind you not to thin Xtracrilics with water!!!

...Sorry , I couldn't resist!!!

After several attempts with distilled water, I opted for the Xtracrilics thinner and the result is great!

To remove them, I normally use alcohool, as in Italy you can buy it at the supermarket for cleaning purposes ot at the pharmacy, But I hear here in the UK it isn't so easy, thus...I have no suggestion apart from reminding you not to thin Xtracrilics with water!!!

I'm joking, because after having seen how you recovered from the incident with gloss white on the Buccaneer, I'm confident you won't be stopped by a simple grey which can't be thinned with water!!!

Did I mention not to..........????:rofl:

Hello Massimo 8

Oh really, no water then !!

Did it work with Grappa ?? :guitar:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On first touches done. Not rushing this even if tempus fugitstemp

And postie arrived with this little beauty

IMG-20190114-125033.jpg

Merlin's hoist courtesy of Richard the Scimitar, thank you sir

It's gorgeous

Some paint on at last. This is an all over discloser

IMG-20190114-124917.jpg

The base cost in using is Tamiya XF-12 J.N Grey which looks suitably creamy browny light grey and is sure to lose its nice new look when it dries and gets mutilated by sanding sticks

IMG-20190114-125000.jpg

Another task begun whilst I have the bench handy

Can you guess what it is?

Clue: it sits strapped down inside Merlin

IMG-20190114-124857.jpg

See ya laters

• Like 6