Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

On 5/19/2019 at 7:06 PM, Martian Hale said:

Just because I'm an extra-terrestrial some people seem to think I will sleep with anybody!

'To boldly go where no man has gone before'

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Yes I did cut it out before extensive research

Best way Bill: research can be scary!  To cut first and work out the details later is the way of the samurai. :winkgrin:

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

And I just spied an Auster Antarctic 

I have held Bill's model in the palm of my hand Terry. It has no weight and emits a faint ethereal vibration. Grown men wept that day that they could make nothing finer....

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, perdu said:

As for the H-19, if further proof of my lunacy was required I suggest I just provided it 

I was looking for a suitable word to describe what you've done, pretty much stumped really but potty seemed to come somewhere near, then I read Tony's suggesting you have the way of the Samurai & I thought....., nah, potty. ;) :D

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I have held Bill's model in the palm of my hand Terry. It has no weight and emits a faint ethereal vibration. Grown men wept that day that they could make nothing finer....

Sounds like a woven Elven masterpiece and I suppose he does come from Middle Earth you know ........... Birmingham!

Terry

• Haha 3

Bill said.

“ intending to do no mo' than fix the gaps between the halves. “

Really? Is that really what was intended? I don’t believe it for a second.🤪

Great fiddling and creating there Mr Perdu. I for one am enjoying this muchly. Even tempted to get my offering out of her box. You’re an inspiration. 😇

Johnny

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Sounds like a woven Elven masterpiece and I suppose he does come from Middle Earth you know ........... Birmingham!

Terry

May it please the court that I confess to, as a youngster, playing climbing trees and ents in the Dell which was next door to JRR's house in Moseley and is said to have inspired Rivendell in a certain set of sagas

Search Moseley Bog in your favourite search engine

Still don't in any way excuse me for being so blarry stupid with the Whirly...

• Like 4

Small amounts of progress after another lost images session on W10

First here's me at RAF Leconfield with the Whirlwind HAR10 of 202 sqn

I was very much thinner then, how did that happen?

P1010117.jpg

Crapulous photo but the scanner wouldnt work after I found this incredibly old photo

I understand the H-19 / S-55 used this engine

A19510099000CP06.jpg

The old Pratt&Whitney R1300 Wasp

NASM-A19510099000-NASM2019-01708.jpg Which was giving me slight nightmares, how the heckyfump am I going to mock up one of they doohickeys?  Then I thought how about nicking the engine of one of  the lame duck/nevertobebuilts in my old pre modelling holiday (which lasted nigh on thirty five years) stashlet

Good, nay bright idea, never going to build the Skua am I?

And what else lurks within, back there?

Consider I am simply in search of a radial engine which can have a few of its lower cylinders exposed to scrutiny but within a casing to direct air through the fins

The Stranraer?  That one huh?, Two big radials there

Then I found the very thing

After I stopped building models I reduced quite drastically my stash stock on robBay but some of them were not saleable

Collected via fellow club members who had changed their minds about some particular model or other as well as models I bought for myself at the time in shops

(Remember model shops? All over the place making street corners untidy with kid's noses glued to the glass? Ah happy days)  :(

Anyway one of  the models I couldn't get sold was this one

P1010118.jpg

Hasegawa? Hellcat but without box or instructions

But

WITH a P&W 2800 Double Wasp

Which has a double bank of cylinders the front bank of which looks like this

P1010121.jpg

Which looks enough like its baby brother to have just won my lottery

Mine you are, mine all mine

P1010123.jpg

So now to build the firewall and associated skiddlybits that can be passed through the eye nose of the airplane* and add the shield for the cooling jacket

Yes I know it should be aeroplane but...

Murrican isnt it...

• Like 11

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Yes I know it should be aeroplane but...

Aircraft surely, and I'm surprised that Naval aviator that frequents here often hasn't yet put you on a charge!

• Haha 2

As Baron Tony attests research can be scary

But usually quite worthwhile after commitment has been made

I need to get quite close to this

cllearway1.jpg

Layout displayed for any manic modeller who thinks... "maybe..." in the cage which surely awaits one who does

I am certain that this

D378-40-125-0004-600.jpg

Is do-able

I am going to assume (yes I know A S S   U   ME means danger) that the engine cylinders just vaguely visible behind the front  cover and the exhaust manifolds are this assembly but fitted the other way round

image005-3.jpg

This display unit  must show the engine with its drive shaft pointing up into the bowels of the machine so I wont be needing the gearboxy thing on the front for my basic arrangement thingy

I might just plasticene cast  from the fins only and return the forward rows of cylinders to the kit that twill not be built

Must ponder that tonight

In other views I  must 'get' that bend on the window when I button up the uppercanopy

Sikorsky-S-55-Horse-885-RCN-Halifax-2016

night all

• Like 10

Decided

The front end is toast and going to be inside the nose at an angle which the front end will help and facilitate

Two inner side panels to give a base to mount proper legs on for the under cart

The rear cylinder head shield and then the exhaust pipe round to the port side then the ancillaries box with its associated pumps(?) looking devices 

All painted allyminyooum and matching up to the drive shaft tunnel through the cockpit

Seeyalater with the first efforts at such...

• Like 4

First results are in

A base wall inserted to give a structure to build on, two halves for ease of application, this will vanish behind the engine

P1010127.jpg

Then we look at the actual structure were making

This is entirely guess work...

A firewall in front of the cooling vents gives a plenum chamber that allows cold air in

P1010134.jpg

The kit has the front legs in a very very very wrong position, I am going to have new legs sitting on the front like the above

Call for the tool for the job

DSPIAE

The unpronounceable wonder cutter

A quick guide line/circle then cut the side wall shape out

P1010130.jpg

Finish the cutting out with a protractor and trimmed for length

This shot is a bit less clear than I expected, maybe a better one tomorrow

P1010135.jpg

I have cut the front off  the engine so it can sit at a realistic place on the bulkhead then I took a strip of 0.010" card and wrapped it round a piece of chrome water pipe

Just at the close of play on this session I tried a test sitting

(Sitting, not fitting, It ain't glued in yet

P1010140.jpg

Once the other cowlings and ancillaries are in place  I will get on with the roof

The seams I started too fill when I went potto have sealed nicely and polished up a treat

Anothe blurry picture but you can make out the shiny lack of actual seam in the surface

P1010132.jpg

That is actually a reflection of the five penny piece in the well polished surface

Another better picture I will try to get tomorrow, sorry

• Like 9

On 5/29/2019 at 3:37 PM, perdu said:

May it please the court that I confess to, as a youngster, playing climbing trees and ents in the Dell which was next door to JRR's house in Moseley and is said to have inspired Rivendell in a certain set of sagas

His grand nephews lived a couple of hundred yards up the road from me. We went to primary school together. The oldest, Tim Tolkien, designed the Spitfire memorial at  Castle Bromwich.

Lovely work on the engine too, and yes, potty sums it up pretty well!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, perdu said:

(Sitting, not fitting, It ain't glued in yet

but looking every bit the part, as though it belonged there Bill.   Lovely work as always.

I'll be using your build as reference when I get around to my 1/48 version... eventually

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, perdu said:

P1010132.jpg

That is actually a reflection of the five penny piece in the well polished surface

Another better picture I will try to get tomorrow, sorry

OBVIOUSLY IT'S A FIVE PENNY PIECE ON A WELL POLISHED SURFACE!!!!

My wife said: "look how polished that surface is!!! 

I don't think we need a better picture of a five pence piece on a well polished surface...this one is quite good!!!

Ciao 

Massimo

• Confused 2

On 5/29/2019 at 7:10 PM, Terry1954 said:

Aircraft surely, and I'm surprised that Naval aviator that frequents here often hasn't yet put you on a charge!

No need, is there, when I have clearly trained so many others to say things for me?  Besides, as someone said above, they’re American, so a certain amount of language-mangling is probably unavoidable.

Mind you, @stevehnz is talking about the “Nav” in a Sea Vixen in Tony’s ‘Solstice’ thread, so my work here is clearly not yet entirely done.  All together now...

OBSERVER

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 5

On 5/28/2019 at 3:54 PM, Terry1954 said:

but its all gone quiet again ........🙄

Fear not Terry, I was at Hinkley show and had a good chat with Mel, he is still working on the Wasp/Scout project and was showing me pics of the real 1:1 'model' to which he has access to for his research, he is very excited about it and rightly so.

Nice progress Bill, she really is coming together now, and looks nothing like her vintage years suggest. I share your pain with regard to the vac form cabin section being cut small, I do it every time and berate myself accordingly...😖

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Yeah, that's what I meant, must have been a wonky auto correct. ;) :D

Steve.

And of course we never ever blame our tools

he he

("Don't snigger Pearson") This is a test of the silly autocorrect from BM that made me Capitalise And Separate the word A S S a short time ago

I spent most of last night wrestling with Win 10 picture handling pigdog program

I might now have something to show again, let us see...

P1010146.jpg

As can be seen I knocked out a version of the pumping type assemblies on  the rear/front of the P&W 1360 which is basically all that will be seen readily when it is all assembled

Like so

P1010149.jpg

Once its shrouding is in place I  think we will be quite close to

P1010111.jpg

I couldn't possibly leave this morning without finally getting 'shiny' clearer, so for Massimo

P1010150.jpg

The superglue/cyano has filled every crevice down there and what we see as joins are 'in real life' smooth unbroken surfaces

I am seriously amazed at how well it has filled  the join lines

Right oh, next up are the side frames of  the engine bearers and undercarriage locations as per

P1010134.jpg

Then I can paint it and make the exhaust pipes  (Manifolds?)

• Like 7

Ah, maybe although I recall perhaps, elevate and separate

Which apparently made shapes differ...

Ah happy days, when television educated as much as it titillated

Thanks for the donk remark Crisp, is it only me that finds it easier to think donk on big old radials

Somehow donks should never go wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Thudddaka thuddaka seems more fitted to the term

Oh well on we go, more model mangling shall occur later today

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

Ah, maybe although I recall perhaps, elevate and separate

I recall lift and separate, but I may be wrong as my obsession interest in such areas was very limited as a growing lad. 😋

• Haha 3