Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

I should correct myself a bit here - 

The upgraded Merlins have an additional turret mount just forward of where the right hand wepons station mount is. So there are three and the forward weapons mount is the rear turret mount with the "new" mount being the forward mount of the turret.

This is an upgraded Merlin. Note the turret mounting positions. Just beneath the rear edge of the door is the rear weapons carrier mount.

0cf791b3cca8f2a977423ea8dc54211c.jpg

And here is the original turret installation. Using both weapons carrier hardpoints. The new mount is forward of the forward weapons mount,

IMG-0134.jpg

Too many "mounts" "forwards" and "rear" words in this post, sorry!

Three mounting points

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2

No worries Jeff, I had that sorted

I've fitted all three starboard mounting points ready for this job and all I wanted was the detail for the topmost cover which you have done for me

Cheers

First iteration

P1010335.jpg

for test purposes only

But I have rejected it, why?

Scale creep of course, playing par as expected no matter how I try

Much too big so it has to come off, does look OK for shape though

P1010338.jpg

Onwards and ever onwards

P1010339.jpg

Smaller cover see, next!

P1010340.jpg

P1010341.jpg

Needs its height modifying then I think we're about done for this side

• Like 10

That looks spiffing Bill. I don't think there is too much scale creep so don't get hung up on it. Although if it's bugging ya a modeller's gotta do wot a modeller's gotta do...

1 hour ago, perdu said:

P1010335.jpg

for test purposes only

Are you bringing it along a la WIP to the club on Sunday? Be good to have a behind the scenes look at one of Bill's builds. Bit like the short after films that follow documentaries such as The Blue Planet .i.e. "The Making of Blue Planet". We could title it "The Making of Bill's Merlin". Feel free to indulge with your David Attenborough impersonations. 

• Haha 4

Bill you can relax safe in the knowledge that you're not the only modeler subject to this particular dilemma

demotivational.PNG

btw... I'm with Tomo - it looked great to me but no doubt the revamped version will look even greaterer..er

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I think I may have scale creep under control on this particular topic

New countermeasures gear on, ready for refinement

P1010343.jpg

Started with the basic Italeri 'wrong 'uns' then reshaped to be more like the photographs

P1130001.jpg

There is still some minor trimming to do but I think I may get some grey on this soon

P1010342.jpg

These boxes all look as if they appeared where they are at random and to be fair to Itale...

Wait did I say that?  :(

Oh well maybe because there is plentiful room for confusion I will excuse them once but I find it hard to understand why in a hobby full of OCD ridden folks I hadn't seen the subject arise

Oh well, I'm off

Cuppas to make and a day to kickstart

And fences to check for damage, didn't it blow?

• Like 7

22 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

And here is the original turret installation.

Excuse my ignorance here.

I get the new mount forward but did the actual piece of kit or pylon change (apart from box on top over gubbins) ?

Yes. In the two pictures i posted above, hopefully you can see the original Mk1 turret installation is a longer pylon that "stretches" between both front and rear weapons pylon points. The newer mount is almost the same length as the turret itself. 

Jeff

• Thanks 2

It seems the same turret is used but with the modernisation mods added

New mount and protective top box

Jeff is my basic shape right? If it is I'll get paint on it before I add it to the airframe

Bill

Coming along nicely, Bill - though I confess I am concerned with this reference to a Merlin “tiger”.  

Do I infer that you are planning to paint / transfer stripes onto it?  If so, couldn’t you have picked a less ridiculous squadron than the Soggy Moggies?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Coming along nicely, Bill - though I confess I am concerned with this reference to a Merlin “tiger”.  

Do I infer that you are planning to paint / transfer stripes onto it?  If so, couldn’t you have picked a less ridiculous squadron than the Soggy Moggies?

Dear me Crisp, do you really see me trying to Tiger Stripe Merlin?

Tssk tssk

It is simply a fact that ZH847 in her present configuration will, I repeat will have a Tiger face upon her dainty rounded little snub nose

Simply because I have the necessary transfer freely given by Richard who has been a great mate throughout

She bore the face but not, thankfully the stripey daft looking Gammofarce

• Haha 1

OK I am well along with the bitzanbobz

P1010344.jpg

port side

P1010345.jpg

Stb'd side

P1010346.jpg

If your eyes were more brilliant than mine you might just be able to see the sensor domes being added here

But you prolly can't, sorry

P1010347.jpg

How about in profile?

That work for you all?

Laters guys and...

• Like 7

3 hours ago, perdu said:

There is a small area of green at each main rotor blade root, is this the only part that is green or is the upper surface green like many other naval helo blades?

The entire blades are a dark green colour with a natural metal leading edge.  However, avoid the use of bright natural metal paints like silver and aluminium because they are simply too bright and wrong. It's a very dull flat metal colour but one that has a definite metallic appearance and using, for example, Humbrol silver would be just awful. The joys of modelling natural metal!!

The turret and mount you've done looks pretty decent. The upper part of the mount is attached to the upper point with two support rods to the lower point. Have a zoomed in look at this picture - again not mine of a modern Mk2.

There's a reason I won't post any of my pictures of current Merlins and instead will show what's freely posted online.

25642985867-362381dc71-b.jpg

I'll update this post in a moment with more details.

Jeff

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

The entire blades are a dark green colour with a natural metal leading edge.  However, avoid the use of bright natural metal paints like silver and aluminium because they are simply too bright and wrong. It's a very dull flat metal colour but one that has a definite metallic appearance and using, for example, Humbrol silver would be just awful. The joys of modelling natural metal!!

The turret and mount you've done looks pretty decent. The upper part of the mount is attached to the upper point with two support rods to the lower point. Have a zoomed in look at this picture - again not mine of a modern Mk2.

There's a reason I won't post any of my pictures of current Merlins and instead will show what's freely posted online.

25642985867-362381dc71-b.jpg

I'll update this post in a moment with more details.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'm very happy with the fabulous info you have already provided and yes I was aware of the lower struts on the mount

All planned for

The blades are going to be a real test, yippee

😊

• Like 1

It is part of the "delta mod" package added to the aircraft many moons ago (early 2000s) after the aircraft entered service. As you can probably guess, it's to protect the upper fuselage from  heat from the engines. On all aircraft. It's not a stiffener but a heat absorbent/ protecting mat.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2019 at 8:56 PM, perdu said:

Mucky

I agree but that is what you get when filthy minds abound

The poor little jet Ranger-alike was hunting around for somewhere dry to land during storm Jeremy or whatever stupid name this latest little blow got lumbered with when he espied a Merlin in a pool with no MRG to get in the way

Obviously this was the first class LP of choice

Hey Hey !!

Filthy minds ??

Who started a thread with Fifty shades of something ???

Then it's a playing room ??? Is n't it ??

Laughing CC

• Haha 1

I am confused CC, What is wrong with titling a thread about variegated colours on a single theme by describing how many shades there are on such helicopters?

Very confused of The West Midlands

• Haha 4