Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

All this talk of Citroens... I had two 2CV's back in the day.  I got rid of an Audi 100 to buy my first deux chevaux.  When I took it for a test drive my mate and I couldn't stop laughing, it was so much fun.  Roll back the roof, fold up the windows are we're off!

Made a fortune on travel claims from my resettlement courses in my last couple of years. 

I'm liking the color on that exhaust - it's looking realistically heat treated and just unkempt enough to do the job

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, hendie said:

I had two 2CV's back in the day.

At the same time? Like a sort of catamaran?

V. much enjoying your work on that engine Bill - the visual gravitas this:

P1010196.jpg

level of detailing brings to the build is indeed most satisfying to behold. :clap2:

(Thanks for the heads-up on the Slaters' btw!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

At the same time? Like a sort of catamaran?

I see rather Hendie bestriding the world with one on each leg like some hero on skates made of 2CVs

Hell of a guy!

(this bit is not a joke, H is a hell of a guy)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I know I have not been keeping up in here, there's planning for Le Mans to do you see.

But I have been pottering about trying to get some stuff done because I do want to build up the upper fuselage section soon

Here is some nice chocolate silver/gold foil  'meshed' by rubbing over a cloth net, as recommended by such stalwarts as Tomo and others

This is then stuck around the gearbox rotor head framework to hide it from view

15602609962985299311599420040175.jpg

And

15602611723021089869133162527441.jpg

something like this being the final plan

15602610590681661043631991598019.jpg

Just behind the pilot's seat ladder frame you can see the way the padded panels slope up towards the roof, hopefully we will get something quite like that now

15602621101471858224029187517348.jpg

The canopy has to be trimmed and UV glued to the fuselage then the inner framework will be as fitted as a bespoke suit

But not I fear until next week

Please pray for sun if you have a belief plan that allows it, looks awesome at the mo'

Black clouds and runnels of run off in the car parks

And Alonso to be beaten on track

• Like 11

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I know I have not been keeping up in here, there's planning for Le Mans to do you see.

Planning?  

Drive to Le Mans.  Watch people whizzing along for a ludicrously long time.  Get bladdered.

Brief complete.

• Haha 9
  • Sad 1

I do like that engine...a lot!

On the subject of 2CVs, 2 of my mates owned them, they decided to make one good one out of the two so stripped the front end out of one to put it in the better one. The next day they came out to complete the refitting of the engine into the @better@ car only to find the chassis had given way over night!

They were great fun to drive though. If anyone has ever witnessed the 2CV owners' club drive from London to Brighton it's a hoot! A half hour or so of ludicrous machines done up in all sorts of guises passing one after another - the only thing they had in common, apart from being 2CVs, was the huge grins on the faces of all the occupants!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Drive to Le Mans.  Watch people whizzing along for a ludicrously long time.  Get bladdered.

There is also drive to hotel on Sunday

Dine magnificently

Get de-bladdered

Visit Ranville

Orromanches

Orbayeux

Drive to ferry

Become sober model making citizen

All after "Drive to Le Mans.  Watch people whizzing along for a ludicrously long time.  Get bladdered."

Its not all roses you know

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

And I am back, voila

I've been looking at the inner panels again, the ones I mocked up the other day really dont do it for me so...

I needed to measure how big they should be instead of how big I made them but not being Baron Ced Friday I didn't go galloping off to the 'Bay shop for callipers I made a pair

This is something I ought to have had around after so many years in the toolmaking 'trade' but I could not find my old Moore and Wright or Starrets (or whichever they were) internal callipers which was needed to reach inside and measure what was missing

Out comes the plasticard, a drill and a short length of thin Evergreen rod

15609592569304196878045174696778.jpg

This is used to measure the actual height of the roof from the rotor gear fitting platform

15609591819791956189177944887726.jpg

No this isn't the actual act of measuring the gap, have you tried taking an accurate posed picture with a Samsung phone?

But this is the actual measurement I made

15609590392211373772303421344749.jpg

Can you see it, yes 7/16" is the size it will be

!/2" is too big and will not suffice and 3/8" is too small so seven sixteenths of an Imperial inch it is

(Remember to put the new callipers in the tool drawer Bill, you will need them again in future)

Now I can concentrate on new inner quilted fore and side walls and they will be along later this evening

ciao

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Great to have you back Bill, de-bladdered and all. 

5 hours ago, perdu said:

15609592569304196878045174696778.jpg

Ah I remember these things from my old sheet metalworker days. Similar to the caliper measures my dad used for crown green bowls (also suitable for rink green bowls of course) purchased from the sadly long gone Harry Parks sports shop in Corporation St. For none Brummies I make no apologies for being parochial, cos these things matter to me and Bill et al along with the old Corporation BCT bus colours...sniff...😪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to digress now and since I haven't digressed recently for oh, I dunno, half an hour here we go

Whilst Tom was popping into Harry Parkes's for his sporting good I myself was often-times to be found purchasing tools from the shop over the road and down a few yards

This is this month's competition for absolutely no prizes whatsoever, just extra points on your googlefu table but not, to be fair for Tomo  :winkgrin:

Who can name the long gone (wasn't going to be THAT easy was it) fabulous tool shop across the road from Harry the Villain's shop

Back in the day I bought a steel rule there that had the magical gradations engraved in it

Twelfths of an inch marked down to picas

Scratch builder's ideal steel

Long ago lost in time...

The rule was of course designed for the printing profession, I wonder if?

Anyway, new quilting being applied

Hardly photogenic so I havent...

• Like 4

"The quilting bee"

Panels refitted but bigger..

15610435092283974441360411609842.jpg

This near side inner panel still needs trimming before the canopy can go on but the starboard side is to size

15610435705452066003502211377265.jpg

I will trim the other side panel to reach the same distance inside the turtleback then the roof can go on

Soon be "Fun With Etch And Bill"

did I say fun?

🤸‍♀️

• Like 11