Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

Thanks, the cracker came second to a Sukhoi yesterday on the club comp table

Not that it worries me, the Sukhoi was a build for one of the glossy modelling mags and there's no shame in coming second to Karl

Anyway that's my Nautical modelling career over now, when I complete the Whirlwind I suspect it's to be Wokka Time

• Like 3

23 hours ago, hendie said:

another stoatir Bill. 

It's just a shame you had to deface it with that graffiti down the sides. 

Graffiti?  I can only assume you are not referring to the words “Royal” & “Navy” in such terms, oh former Far Eastern Crustacean ...?

• Haha 7

cheers Terry

What do we think gang, only the H-19 to do to finish the topic

US Marines or US Army?

Has to be Korean War period, in the war zone

I have to get paint and white decs if its the USMC one, I reckon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

US Marines or US Army?

USMC would be my choice but it's your model so which ever you favour will be great!

Roger

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

USMC would be my choice but it's your model so which ever you favour will be great!

Roger

To be honest Roger it will be the most likely if only to close the build with a last Marines helo to end this story

Cheers mate

• Like 1

An afternoon of leisurely pottering

P1010446.jpg

Gives me this

Then a bit of frenzied fettling gets me staggering towards this

P1010447.jpg

The port cyclic isnt in the wrong way round but has been pushed out of shape before the pic was taken

It's right now

My paper version of the Airwaves IP and its surround sit cobbled in place with a dollop of cockpit glue, once dried I can wriggle stuff around and close up the halves

• Like 15

11 hours ago, perdu said:

I, and by I I mean all of us, would love to witness a Hendie build on a Whirlwind or H-19 Alan

Please do get it on, when you can

Seconded!

Roger

In the last few months I've been popping in just a few times and I'm happy to see that those who dare are still in the circuit! This thread looks like a wood where every now and then wild mushrooms appear from nowhere!

The Merlin's a beauty and the Whirlwind 's coming along nicely!

Well done Bill!!!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Massimo, hope you have been OK

Just popping in?

Oh look

Stuff to do

P1010448.jpg

The windows atop the cabin did not fit in any direction so I sent for new shiny windows

These appeared, now it seems I have to sand, file and generally traumatise  them

I'll report back later

The one here was a terrible size, shape and clarity

P1010450.jpg

still, supergoo is cheap is it not?

Off to tackle these now, laters guys

Ciao

• Like 11

The next (best?) thing will be to make a decision on which USMC H-19 I will be making

I will need to discover which Sea Blue to purchase, it not having been a colour in my usual personal palette

Where did I drop that reference Andy gave me for US T.O publications when i need it?

I know, its back near page three or four must check the Orders

Then get a start on getting the decal sheet sorted, I will not be likely to print any of the predominantly white lettering

Busy day ahead huh...

😇

• Like 6

I did the same thing with the white lettering on my Wasp so that will be the fall-back position

But if I find suitable decals I may push the leakyboat out

My green one might have been used to render a grey RN machine but I think it will be better served by making her as she was with her original owners

Along with a Wokka

Or two!

• Like 1

P1010453.jpg

Supergoo refused to polish out on this side so I had to let in a piece of CD case plastic which did work but shows just how awful the windows on this 1958 kit are  :(

And leaves me with a new dilemma

Do I?

P1010455.jpg

The roof windows

I have never seen them replaced on the Airfix kit and have never even seen an Italeri one

Italeri might (yes really they might...) have even got these right, looks like I will never know but to be presenting a reasonable H-19 it looks as if I ought to be moulding a complete upper deck out of acetate

:(

dont tempt me

I am considering using Krystal Kleer for  the roof top windows

Steak Club night tonight, I will have me a little think...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, perdu said:

Italeri might (yes really they might...) have even got these right, looks like I will never know but to be presenting a reasonable H-19 it looks as if I ought to be moulding a complete upper deck out of acetate

that just might be the easier option Bill.   Whatever you decide... we'll still pick holes in it   we're with you all the way

• Haha 5