Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

Looking at the picture of the A-frame (sonobuoy rack) you can see  how little the quilted pattern is visible even from inside the aircraft. Imagine how much less the pattern would be seen from outside and peering in. Its entirely your choice but for me (and I can only speak for me) I wouldn't waste time even thinking about how best to represent it.

Jeff

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I wouldn't waste time even thinking about how best to represent it.

Jeff

Is my response too thanks Jeff

Aberlour, shouldnt you be saving that for the Martian's next visit?

;)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

Aberlour, shouldnt you be saving that for the Martian's next visit?

Now why would I waste such a good dram there's a good idea :wicked:

Looks like I'll be meeting up with @Massimo for the warm up session first.

I think 'The Gang' should all have a spring break in Glasgow around March 10.

I don't think the @Martian Hale migration season is until a wee bit later.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Quilted wall sound proofing

Anyone out there with a plan?

There is a picture here below but not quite sure how he did it

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039998-148-sa330-puma/

There is a resin 1/48th South African Puma build somewhere on here, but I can't seem to find it.

I think he worked out a way to do it.

Possibly, cut thin card to fit, cover with a thin layer of Milliput, allow to dry a bit,

Emboss mesh onto it (roller?) and then carefully peel it off again. That might do it.

28 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Now why would I waste such a good dram there's a good idea :wicked:

Looks like I'll be meeting up with @Massimo for the warm up session first.

I think 'The Gang' should all have a spring break in Glasgow around March 10.

I don't think the @Martian Hale migration season is until a wee bit later.

The Martian migration season is 25th March, three short months away, so it is looming like a giant looming thing!

Looming of Mars 👽

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

There is a picture here below but not quite sure how he did it

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039998-148-sa330-puma/

There is a resin 1/48th South African Puma build somewhere on here, but I can't seem to find it.

I think he worked out a way to do it.

Possibly, cut thin card to fit, cover with a thin layer of Milliput, allow to dry a bit,

Emboss mesh onto it (roller?) and then carefully peel it off again. That might do it.

Pete I think this is what you mean, this was my Sherpa from a few years back

build_5_006.jpg

I was hoping for a lighter answer to the (imagined) problem

build_3_068.jpg

This net was ideal for the sound deadening in the USAF Sherpas

(Other meshes are available here, just in case)  ;)

• Like 6

I'm (finally) here - missed your posts before Chrimbo Bill, sorry…

I'm in now (even though there's no wings, again) and ready to pick up more tips from the Master :) 

Tomo I did have a brief pang of envy when I saw your new circle cutter - those things are lovely just to stroke - but then I remembered I have the Portrait cutter now (bit smug) so I will have to just dream about well engineered devices :)  

• Like 2

Ced it is good to see you here and since I know you dont normally gravitate to wobblechopters I take it as a huge compliment

I hope you and all our other friends had a great Christmas, mine certainly went well

I had the books I wanted for my fiction shelves and a set of fantastic airbrush cleaning tools, wow that really makes cleaning up easy

I have also been avoiding model making over the said period, promises made and all that, and began again a day or so back

Pondering the sonobuoy launcher set for the rear of the cabin on Merlin, with Jeff's invaluable assistance I came up with a dimensional sketch and then this

P1010039.jpg

Yes, that is the sketch

Tiny huh?

I have decided not to attempt the decagonal base, in this scale it wont show well anyway inside the darkish hull area so I took a small PVC lightswitch screw hole blanking plug and stuck a stem to the centre leaving the outer well for the sonobuoys/maybe even flares to attach

P1010040.jpg

They were ten pieces of Evergreen rod cut to length ( I really should buy a precision cutting tool, but in the meantime...) and laid alongside each other

P1010042.jpg

And lined up on a length of Tony's magical tape to hold them together

(apologies for the tea stain that a certain wife of mine left besmirching my work table... tut!)

P1010045.jpg

I am going to add this to the many shades of grey this morning down in the pain shop, but I expect to leave the load up here away from grey overspray

The white of the plastic looks just right for the buoys to my eye so I will leave it

Ah yes, question for Jeff

Does  the dispenser ditch buoys out of a big hole or does it have a small hole in the floor that it uses on a buggin's turn basis whilst rotating?

I have suitable holes to drill next

• Like 9

There are two holes, one either side of the centre line and more towards to outside edge of each side (nearer the outside) and they are forward of where the tail cone and fuselage join. These holes (or chutes) are fixed and allow the dispenser to rotate to position the required buoy over the chute, ready to drop when needed. Each hole has a lining tube from the cabin floor to outside ending in a slight flare or trumpet shape flush with the underside.

There is another hole on the left underside quite close to the sonobuoy hole but it's square in shape and is known as the the light stores chute. 

Great work so far, liking the black cockpit too!!

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Thanks 1

I did!

I spluttered...

Then got control of my coffee cup, apt I suppose

(But the cup is blue, OK)

TBF the rack(s) come along this afternoon, blooming big flattish things with more holes than yer average pikelet.

To the garage first, paint awaits

Right then Bill. First up, nice racks.

Second up following on from Andy's comment above I have some of this stuff:

Any good? (note freshly primed Lancaster wing in background and for scale)

IMG-4230.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

• Like 6

Oh so very pleased to see freshly primed Lancaster wings, hoorah!

But the mesh although I applaud the idea isnt really suited to the task in hand, as Andy pointed out the wall panels need to be a diamond shape if I was to bother and I probably wont

These were supposed to be two fairly uncomplicated builds to clear some stash and have fresh stuff for Andy (ours) to have for display if he wants them

I intend to hang back from the BM scale of detailing soon, you guys are leaving me behind as I get more old and fumbly

• Sad 2

oh I dunno.... satsumas, sprouts, onions... all that's missing from here is sausages

no! wait... that's another thread innit?

Happy Hogmanay to you and yours Bill

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I use the centres of plastic barbeque plates, you can get different sizes which allow for 1/72 and 1/48 cale. Mmm, barbeque! :eat:

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Hey Bill! Happy new year y'all. I haven't jumped in on this site for some time but do keep browsing and just looking in from afar and there is nothing like a good old FAA build to stir the cockles! Just catching up on your tribulations regarding the quilting. I had the same problems when doing my Cormorant build a couple of years ago. I ended up using some mesh and foil which gives a decent result. I left a tutorial  in my build which I linked above. Or you could save the foil from tonight's chambers. Any hoo good to see your Navy builds!

Cheers now

Bob

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bob, I haven't forgotten your Cormorant either but as the kit interior is a bit weird with its insettable side wall panels and the ridges they leave inside I have decided to ignore the quilting and simply panel the walls with Tamiya tape which does look quite decent when it is closed up

I'm busy inside the cabin now making the loaded sonobuoys dispenser look a bit 'possible' acos I cannot find any shots of the launcher with its load aboard

Fiction approaches I fear, never mind

p.s. if I was going to quilt it I would mesh some Milliput the way I did on the Sherpa

Happy New One folks, can't turn the clock back now

🍻🍸🍹

• Like 3