Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

Ahem, as a former Radio, now Av, trade the ADS was the responsibility of the Radio trade (aka "pinky" or "pinkies" plural) so I'm sadly intimately familiar with the whole God forsaken assembly. It is roughly 4 feet in height.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Four feet tall?

hmm

At two thirds of an Airfix figure this looks still a bit overscale at almost an Airfixman

Six foot per man (ish) and this is about an inch high so make it a nother third smaller then?

AH NO

Using my scale rule from Scale Aircraft Modelling it seems I am not far off, so cancel that period of doubt

Oddly enough using the same scale rule's 1/48 scale measures it seems that the one I made first comes in near enough to scale in quarter scale

Who'd a thunk it huh

:(

• Like 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Well I've been playing with these for a week or three Tom, any good?

They are looking the dog`s as usual Bill. PS Happy Christmas (and to everyone else reading Bill`s thread).

PPS Apologies for hijacking your thread Bill (you can get me at the next Brum IPMS and I know this is of interest to you), but I`m all excited as this came in the post today:

IMG_4217.jpg

• Like 7

Colour me envious

Really weird coincidences time!

I was looking at their leaflet (for the first time since Telford) in the garage this afternoon trying unsuccessfully to convince myself that I do not need one of those anyway

Yup, colour me jealous too   :(

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

I was looking at their leaflet (for the first time since Telford) in the garage this afternoon

Proof that everything in the universe is interconnected Bill.

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

trying unsuccessfully to convince myself that I do not need one of those anyway

Ahem...you know you want to... :devil: Where's Ced? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

If the part used decal sheet appeals send me an address

It does not have the instrument decals any more, I have used them but all else is as you saw them

Hi Bill, thanks very much for that, I may well take you up on it if I have an Italeri kit lying about somewhere.  I'll need to check first.

BTW I was in a Physics class at the time I made my sighting.  The teacher was a chap called Anthony Kelly and he used to joke that he got his degree from Bob Jones.

Nice start on the Merlin.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 10:22 AM, pinky coffeeboat said:

I'll see what I can dig out, but for you landlocked lubbers FLASH is generally referred to as ADS (Active Dipping Sonar). It's strange and slightly amusing to read in places how people refer to the names of systems on the aircraft by their "official" names like Orange Crop/ Reaper, Blue Kestrel etc.. as if that's what they're called in day to day life -

"need a Pinky on the line, 68s got a Blue Kestrel snag"!!!

"Get a grubber out there, the number 1 RTM322 has starting issues" 

Most times the systems are called by what they do - the radar, the ESM etc... I was at RIAT  years ago presenting our tiger striped Merlin (though it looks more like a grey mackerel) and I was caught in a dit lock with someone who worked in the factory where the screens were made. He seemed a bit disappointed when at first he told me he worked for Smith's and I stared blankly at him. You see, most don't really care about such things but only if they work, are reliable and easily replaced. (I must admit though, as an aircraft enthusiast, I do have an interest in such things).

Not a criticism or mockery of you at all, far from it because names and terms aren't often known outside the circle in which they're used. Like people calling the Tornado the "tonka" (civvy spotter name) when in crab parlance it was referred to as the "fin" (I think?)!

I’d agree with most of that - though in my era the two exceptions were the ESM (almost always referred to as Orange Crop - or Orange Crap if the operator was having a bad day) & Sea Skua; you’d talk about launching with, say, “one torpedo”, [or more often one EVT, TVT etc], and “one depth charge”, & it was kind of assumed that they would be Stingray / Mk.11 respectively.  Skuas, however, we’re always Skuas (not “Sea Skuas”) 

• Like 2

Nice to see you back Bill!

And it's nice to be back too, after three days lost in the web, following a laptop upgrade by my Company which caused a blackout of all my settings everywhere...

Anyway it seems I'm ok now!!!

Nice project, I'll be watching!!!:like:

• Like 1

Not really a problem Andy, I sent off for the enlarged tanks a couple of weeks ago and have them ready

If Joseph can use the decals he can have them unreservedly, in fact anyone is welcome to them although I intend using them for the warning placards all over the airframes first after I've photoprinted them to get the sizes

OKaayyy

Quilted wall sound proofing

Anyone out there with a plan?

Please, pretty please?

Im hoping a random sheet of diamond quilted kitchen roll might heave over the horizon but I can't use bobbly curvydotted bubbly stuff

All I have in the house at the mo'

• Like 1

From outside the aircraft and peering in (as in normal model viewing distances), honestly not a great deal of the texture will be noticeable. Think rivets and panel lines. 

Generally, it's not ruffled unless it's been badly refitted and will be quite a smooth appearance. It rarely bulges as there is sufficient velcro around the mounting positions to secure it. The stitching is single row, with thickish thread (not button sewing on cotton) with a diamond pattern roughly 2" across. Depending on how the panel fits, it may be horizontal pattern or a diagonal pattern, its just the same material but positioned accordingly. 

The roof panels are hard plastic.

Jeff 

I'll edit when I remember more.

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, perdu said:

OKaayyy

Quilted wall sound proofing

Anyone out there with a plan?

Please, pretty please?

Im hoping a random sheet of diamond quilted kitchen roll might heave over the horizon but I can't use bobbly curvydotted bubbly stuff

All I have in the house at the mo'

Bill is this stuff any good?

It's nylon tape using for binding boxes of A4 print paper. I erm "recycled" some. View it as Government surplus.

IMG-4225.jpg

• Like 2

What Jeff says Tom and he should know

he da man

I have been trying out my new airbrush cleaning brushes, received gratefully from our lad for chrimble

Wow they make cleaning the Harder and S far easier and a far less stressful 'thing' to do and now I am going to attempt the sonobuoy (probably? possibly?) launcher device that sits at the back of the cabin

Twelve paired tubes based around a hexagonal fitment, all in very fine tube scale

Wont that be fun...

Laters, maybe

• Like 2

Ten paired tubes...well, ten positions for the buoys. Somewhere I've got photos that speak more than a thousand words, to describe the dispenser needs more!! 

Imagine a cylinder,  around which are ten pairs of parallel rails that run the length of the cylinder.

Around the base of cylinder is an hexagonal base fairing, in which ten holes are lined up with the rails.

Each pair of rails has a circular cap that slides up and down these rails to secure the buoy.

The whole dispenser is secured to the floor by a framework at the base and steadied by a pair of arms that are connected at the top of the dispenser and split to steady it to the wall (think of a V shape but one arm is longer than the other). One of these arms carries the electrical looms to power it and communicate with the aircraft.

A picture tells the whole story much easier, so unless others post a picture bear with me, it'll take a while to dig it out.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

jm%2016.JPG

This is from the walkaround here at BM

I guessed at twelve but I can go with ten

If you have better pictures I could try but doubt if I will make it all clean and pristine like this, is that a fibreglass box at the base?

This is going to be interesting to make the holes look right too

jm%2018.JPG

On first glance earlier this month I thought they were semi-round recesses, thank God they arent

• Like 5

Just had further thoughts on the sound proofing Bill, I think The Baron came up with a solution on his Catching Pictures in the Air thread. I think it involved lightly scoring/scribing a diamond pattern into foil or something.

• Thanks 1