Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

The Airfix Whirlwind was the very first kit I made at the tender age of five. My uncle had bought it for me following some pestering, Dad kept dragging his feet having said he would build it for me and during my first school summer holiday Mum let me have a go myself. My Uncle was visiting on the evening in question and I remember worrying about getting it finished before he arrived. This build is going to evoke some pretty powerful memories in me.

Wistful of Mars 👽

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

This build is going to evoke some pretty powerful memories in me.

Me also Martian. I seem to recall hand painting it gloss white (very thick) and applying BEA markings. 

Terry

• Like 4

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Well obviously I am going to need to be somewhat careful in my treatment of the old whirlybird.

As you are doing this one as an H-19,let me start the process of subliminal suggestion for your next Whirlwind:

acb1c7ce-17fa-4b82-bbb1-674589d6a46f.jpg

db325dac-9484-4c36-aaad-f0f5246d9f16.jpg

HAS7 of SAR Flt HMS Fulmar circa 1966.

The witch is optional.

• Like 10

I had it on extremely good authority that the WITCH was essential

Nice subliminals

I wonder if it is going to work

I may hanker for another yellow bird though I first met Whirlwind at RAF Leconfield when they were the SAR unit

The potential ball is in  the air if there is any air

A little done on the H-19, all  the pictures I have seen show grey interiors which surprised me

A little bit of interior stuff which will never be seen through windows blockier than Lego bricks

Padding supplied by Tamiya tape

P1010419.jpg

Cabin floor and the transmission shaft

The IP was snagged off my Airwaves set which I am saving for a rainier day

P1010421.jpg

A couple of collectives to go with the cyclics in  the kit and HIYA UNCA BOB!

And now its pub time see ya

Oh yes some more small progress

P1010422.jpg

Bye

• Like 17

When I started making the H-19 I expected to find the interior in this colour, as seen at Leconfield and photographed at Hendon

P1010513.jpg

This is obviously the sea deck interior from the RAF SAR fit but the innards on the pictures I have seen from back then show grAy so grAy it is

I have filled the front, upper side window frames with cyano to allow me to make new frames allowing the sloping rear frame

P1010517.jpg

Airfix just give a couple of square window frames here

P1010515.jpg

This is the interior from Hendon again, exactly what I thought I would find inside  :(

However I got some useful details anyway

It seems the older helicopters in the family had different tail control runs and were missing this little detail aperture

P1010511.jpg

I'm pretty sure this  is the same tail cone end that would have been on the torpedo droppers shown in their RN colours above, witch an' all

So today I will be getting mostly ready for Cosford tomorrow, anybody passing the Hastings please feel free to drop by for a natter at the Birmingham IPMS stand

Also today, a few more of the hundred tiny decals for the Merlin perhaps

'voir

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Scimitar said:

As you are doing this one as an H-19,let me start the process of subliminal suggestion for your next Whirlwind:

And let me subliminally add to any subliminal suggestions please!! Hint hint......

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Hint on, McDuff..."

Edited fact of life

This model HAS to be a H-19 from the Korean War, no choices, so it will be so.

Who knows what lies ahead though?

I love Whirlwinds, maybe even more than Walter Wessex

I really enjoyed watching the Whirlwind flying around at Yeovilton two years ago

Lump to the throat kind of thing, y'got me?

• Like 6

10 hours ago, perdu said:

"Hint on, McDuff..."

Edited fact of life

This model HAS to be a H-19 from the Korean War, no choices, so it will be so.

Who knows what lies ahead though?

I love Whirlwinds, maybe even more than Walter Wessex

I really enjoyed watching the Whirlwind flying around at Yeovilton two years ago

Lump to the throat kind of thing, y'got me?

The Wessex Hu5 is flying at Yeovilton this year too! Very excited, as I'm too young to have seen them flying operationally (at least I was too young to remember if I ever did see any).

It dropped into Westlands on Friday too, I missed it though as I'd already left... I did have a strange moment a few weeks ago when I was out cycling and did a double take when I saw a Wessex Hu5 flying about 😮

Looking forward to watching your Whirlwind build progress, it's certainly going to be far better than my attempt - I'll give you a heads up, the main rotor head needs total scratch building 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an Airfix Phantom to build, one day but it has hundreds of stencil markings to place on it

I have just finished the stencilling on the port side of the Merlin, sort of, because I'm having niggle issues about the walkways atop the engine casings

It has taken me two days

And I still have to do the starboard side...

The 'toom is Definitely NOT getting all of its ones.

I'll try to get a pic of the finished port side today but all work is suspended after that, I am off in The Midget to the Classic Cars night at the famous Ace Cafe in Park Royal in 'That London'

Bangers and mash, lovely...

🍴🍻

And just the one from the bar, maybe

If you are on the M** and see a couple of Midgets, red and green give us a wave

• Like 5

On with those stencils! Time to get my revenge in after the Nimrod :D 

Have a good time in 'the Smoke' Bill, sounds like a great trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:02 AM, perdu said:

Look what happened at Cosford

20190407-144417.jpg

Daft arent I

If you're daft, perhaps we all are? My Tornado RFI is barely done and I just bought the Eduard F3. 🙄

Good luck with those stencils!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, perdu said:

I have an Airfix Phantom to build, one day but it has hundreds of stencil markings to place on it

I have just finished the stencilling on the port side of the Merlin, sort of, because I'm having niggle issues about the walkways atop the engine casings

It has taken me two days

And I still have to do the starboard side...

The 'toom is Definitely NOT getting all of its ones. 

I'll try to get a pic of the finished port side today

Remember this?

I did finally get a picture or two, still not done any decalling/transferring

Starboard nearly pristine side

P1010426.jpg

And port as a nexample

:(

P1010427.jpg

And above to show the ridiculously skinny upper deck walkways

:(  :(  :(  work will begin later...

P1010428.jpg

With a selection of about three Italeri and the best part of one Revell sheet it seems likely I can improve on  this

But honestly, should I need to?

Laters chaps

(I had a great time last night, I think I may have inadvertently become the happy owner of a more recent era's sports car.  Funny game huh) :)

• Like 12

10 hours ago, perdu said:

I may have inadvertently become the happy owner of a more recent era's sports car.

Photos required! Is it a Cayman? Friday type 911? :wicked:

Nice stencilling Bill. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, perdu said:

(I had a great time last night, I think I may have inadvertently become the happy owner of a more recent era's sports car. 

Poker game Bill? ♦️♠️♣️♥️ :whistle:

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Remember this?

(I had a great time last night, I think I may have inadvertently become the happy owner of a more recent era's sports car.  Funny game huh) :)

Come on Bill !! A japanese one ??

Toyota Celica 1975 ??

And huh wich scale ??🤔

Sincerely :cheers:

CC

No gentlemen, not an exoticar

Except it is just what I have been looking at lately with regards to a slightly more comfy MG

My friend who lives in London, within the newly established ULEZ ish thingy bought a lovely head gasket modified for safety MGF

He also has a classic car which will be exempt but the F will not and he thinks she would be very happy living with me in the Posh Parts of Sutton Coldfield

Permission has now been granted by my owner so it's to be done

I hope!

Some more decalising done, but about four zillion to go onto the rotors so I may not finish for the weekend

:(

No pictures, it looks the same both sides now so if you need to see put the picture in a picture prog and flip it

:)

More tomorrow

• Like 5

Thanks Ced, just got to work out a way to let me pay him

He wants me to just take it but that isn't really on

I'll do it though

Can I just put a word in here?

Of course, its my story innit

The WORD?

The word is Daco

Two words if you like, Daco Strong

I bought a ridiculously tiny jar of it from Modelling Tools at Cosford on Sunday because I knew the tiger face on the nose was not going to/be likely to Go Well

I didn't try it last night at the end of my marathon fuselagery, just in case...

Put a small drop on top of the freshly applied wrinkled thing this morning

Voila, the thing just grabbed the rounded end of the nose and became like a painted on thing

Pictures to follow, colour me amazed

It made the tiny tiger face go like an instant blob of rubber when I mistakenly touched it with the brush but immediately settled back where it needed to be with a deft turn of the chisel wedged brush

Phew!

• Like 5

Interesting views regarding DaCo decal solutions. I've had mixed results. When I first used the strong stuff it didn't do much for me but I tried it again recently and was more impressed this time. 

Who makes the tiger nose decals?

Jeff

Im not sure Jeff because it was on a piece of part used decals Richard sent me to play with

Most of the stencils I have been adding came from him too

I suspect they are out of a Revell moulding, very high quality and perfectly to scale describes the stencil ones

I am very impressed with these and they bode well for the ones in my new HC3

I'm off into the garage now to experiment with Tamiya Smoke and my old Sea King mule, then its Merlin Magic

I desperately hope so anyway

So where are we now then?

the nose tiger head

20190411_122608.jpg

In frightful macro

Maybe too much smoke?

I dunno but this is what it is...

20190411-113733.jpg

And the other side

20190411-113705.jpg

Just about to put No Treads on the weapons pylon and I believe there should be one atop the Wescam unit too

Had to copy those off the dec sheets cos I reached zero spare on decavailablilty

And now

The rotor blades

Wish me luck

• Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, Scimitar said:

acb1c7ce-17fa-4b82-bbb1-674589d6a46f.jpg

db325dac-9484-4c36-aaad-f0f5246d9f16.jpg

HAS7 of SAR Flt HMS Fulmar circa 1966.

The witch is optional.

Get your hands on a couple of Airfix JP4s and a suitable backdrop, and you can recreate the lower photo.

Edited by Steve Coombs
Syntax!
  • Like 3