Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

It's kinda cool of you guys to boost my waning ego thusly, but in fact this is the easy bit pulling a piece of acetate onto a raw buck body

The next bit might be called mensuration, certainly requiring decent measurement in place

A few pictures will show you what is involved,  rest assured the real work is just about to begin

Not tonight though, it is Friday

Now the moulded piece looks decent-ish until you begin measuring

The roof needs to be this wide at the upper sill line

15563051553272182890745610392120.jpg

Pardon my clumsy but I cannot get the shot when the calipers are 'on target'

0.0715" at the upper cill line

The moulded piece has some way to go yet

15562944694218249662657277012665.jpg

And the base measurement should be

15563050021987610603235048053072.jpg

But misses that target by a mile

15563049392628448318380048996138.jpg

Metricated friends might like that in Continentale

15563048309719142311667059132007.jpg

There is some considerable way to go, see you laters

• Like 9

Ooh. A clear transparency! I'd stopped believing that such things even existed! :laugh:

In all seriousness Bill that is Occam's Razor to the max when it comes to technique: thou art a craftsperson deluxe when it comes to matters of sihrsc and plunge. :clap2:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Are they some kind of Brummie Hinge & Bracket?  Is that what Bill & Tommo get up to at weekends?

Well it's like this Crisp

We could tell you but...

😕😱🙅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So

"And it came to pass that we repaired to an inn the garage for real file work to commence"

15564463917517799953434124512760.jpg

All the necessary bits from the hobbies room were tooken down into the darkling depths

Drawings, calipers, the model and the mould piece that needed reducing to less than the kit size so that the moulded bits will fit the kit were placed on the bench/bonnet

The buck was placed into a tube to raise it high enough for a clear depth of pull

15564464418966235658594853459899.jpg

Once the moulding device was organised I began reducing the buck's oversized ness

There cometh a  time when sihrsc needs a hand, this is it

The resin, once hardened  is really very hard and the sihrce begins to have its teeth blunted (time for a new one perhaps although it still files plastic well enough) so I drew on sihrce's big brother to help out

The eihrsc was enlisted to help out

Meet the eight inch half round second cut file, a beefy friend in need

This has been instrumental in whipping the hard resin down to the required dimensions, just a wee bit skinnier than the original model parts

1556446509676856554395808542902.jpg     

The front screen section has been marked and reduced to give me a better defined front corner so the screen will fit easily     

With this resulting moulding  

1556449099854310812917027504686.jpg

If this works nicely I will consider dropping the moulding on instead of the kit's upperworks, a little reworking of the inner segment will ensue to make a new transmission deck under the new top

Now then, where did I put the new Number 11s?

• Like 12

Well we all knew this was going to happen didn't we?

15564581686292994995742066952299.jpg

So it did

And gave us this

15564575008765897325236302572235.jpg

I am no longer certain it was a reasonable idea, but the deed is done

15564577045646945174427678762082.jpg

This suggest to me that the rounded off piece at the rear needs still more reduction, but to be honest, not a lot

Now is experimental modelling time at the flood...

• Like 12

1 hour ago, perdu said:

If this works nicely I will consider dropping the moulding on instead of the kit's upperworks,

I was going to suggest that and indeed you have done that. If you perfect this ( and I have a mind to  believe you will), this will be one neat Whirlwind indeed. Well done Bill, but press on!

Terry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, perdu said:

I am no longer certain it was a reasonable idea, but the deed is done

Fortune favours the brave!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hello Colleague !!

Master plunger !! only a mechanic can do an H-19 looking like a Pontiac Trans-am or a Subaru SX....

I think that you choose the right path...

Opening new horizons...

not too much breakdowns this morning, so I can have a look at BM !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

Cripes Bill, what a roller coaster. As you'll see from the strewing of reactions, (does that make me a reactionary😅?)  I been having a catch up, from the euphoria of discovering I need a Merlin (I'll get over it  ;) ) to a sadden need to go cuddle my old Airfix Whirllywind, & promise it I'll never be so brutal to it, I'm all 'xorsted now, but ever so keen to see some more exciting episodes. I should have recovered in about a week. :) :D

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Haha 4

Brutal Steve?

Mois?

Mais non, zee leetle laydy says she likes the lightening of her burden

But since I actcherlley agree to an extent I have been fettling

And a whittling

And a fingerburningly few recent sessions has given her the much lighter load to carry

P1010470.jpg

This looks as if it will do when given a slight wipe with damp PPP in her crevices  eek

There back in the  little recurved section where I may have been overenthusiastic with the Number two SM blade

P1010471.jpg

Now I can make the interior and finish Martianing the cabin windows...

• Like 11

Nip & Tuck, Bill-style. 

Wonderful process. :clap:

I was going to ask if the rivets needed toning down any but perusal of a few photographs educated me that this was really quite a rivetty-looking airframe!

• Like 2

The airframe is a bit Sea Kingish for rivets, very Sikorskyan as per usual

It occurred to me when I was hunting pictures of the finished CH-53D that I couldn't remember RFI-ing the beast so I took some pictures and will pop over to RFI and bung some in

Forgetful old Hector huh?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Forgetful old Hector huh?

I'm sure dear Zaza will forgive you. Just be careful about that Kiki, she's on the hunt you know......

Ian

• Haha 2

Far too many cats infesting these pages lately and I regret having been an inadvertent channel for some of said infestation

No more of the said felines from me I'll be bound

Now I could use some assistance

To recap:

Quicko build taken a turn for the worse and longer term with new upperworks to be made up

OK I get that

But this?

Really

P1010019.jpg

There is no way on this planet in this time zone that this was necessary and certainly not advisable

Help me get over this disease

My thinking was quite simple like meself milud, make a floor for the upper platform, leave all the lower innards grey or greeny coloured and close it all quickly to pop the new roof on top

I must be mad, no-one will ever see enough of  the insides to make this worthwhile

Doh...

• Like 9