Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

They seem to have only the metal leading edges, from the pictures I have in my library

No evidence at all on my pictures of a l.e. tape's presence

Maybe Jeff can enlighten us later

I've moulded a few half fairings to choose from to build the rotor 'cuff' covers

I will winnow them out in the morning and get into the Tony Armstrong Jones groove photographing them and the assembly thereof

• Like 1

Me too busy Bill. Had to jaunt off to perform molding miracles once again at short notice due to yet another incompetent and clueless molder.  Things is looking good and I'll laud  more praise on you when I vet home and don't have to post via this darned phone

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Does the navy merlins not have the anti wear tape on the leading edge the raf ones had?

No. In fact I didn't know the RAF blades were so equipped. I'm sure in the past we have fitted blades from the RAF fleet and I don't ever remember the grubbers having to remove blade tape...

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys

A little posting for Ben's info

Tackling the Tension Link Fairings

They seem, in simple terms to be two shells screwed together to aerodynam the rotor head gubbinses so I made some simple shells to play with

P1010387.jpg

~On my typical pull mould rig

P1010392.jpg

Vise on the bench, thin bamboo stem fitted into a laminated block carved to replicate the fairings, here's a sideways on shot of the full length rig

P1010393.jpg

And the raw materials for today's playtime, later

P1010389.jpg

I haven't finished with the blade root buffers which will mostly be a dab of black on the trailing edge root stems

Mettalised leading edges look OK?

More plastic shells ready

P1010390.jpg

OK paint shop this morning on masked pale blueygrey areas and this afternoon to shuck shells with a fresh  number 11 or 10A

Sitthhee!

• Like 9

Paint's done

For now, maybe more later after photographie

Shucking to commence, after we come back from our amble round the estate

(Occasional peasant kicking sessions may interfere...)

• Like 1

Results from the paintshop

Blue hue toned down and restricted to only certain parts of the airframe

P1010400.jpg

Forward end is lightened considerably but that stays unseen on photographs  :(

P1010401.jpg

Still one or two extra vents and doohickeys to add as well as the racking for the countermeasures gear so there is to be further grey to come

maybe in proper dark "medium sea grey" for contrast, this game is fun

The covers are in process, coming along slowly

P1010405.jpg

P1010407.jpg

First cover being trimmed for a bespoke fit

P1010408.jpg

And a  check for fit over the top, more to trim off on these experimental covers

There may be trouble ahead,

but if there's moonlight and...

P1010410.jpg

A really sharp 10A...

• Like 8

shucking well Bill, those doobries look fantastic.

This paint job though - is absolutely appalling...    It looks just like the real thing !!!

43 minutes ago, perdu said:

P1010401.jpg

• Haha 2

Slow down there a little Bill, the cuffs aren't all the same, as I explained previously. Unless you haven't got there yet. Remeber the folding sequence, the cutouts are all different.

Colin

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

No. In fact I didn't know the RAF blades were so equipped. I'm sure in the past we have fitted blades from the RAF fleet and I don't ever remember the grubbers having to remove blade tape...

Jeff

Possible a theatre fit for Afghan then, an RAF Merlin I was aboard had to abort take off due to the blade tape coming off as the pilot was taxi-ing along the pan.

Sorry Colin but in this model generic will have to suffice

Unless Ben can be persuaded to provide pictures of differing blade cuffs 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 a blackened blob is going to have to do

😉

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Sorry Colin but in this model generic will have to suffice

Unless Ben can be persuaded to provide pictures of differing blade cuffs 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 a blackened blob is going to have to do

😉

I'm not as familiar with the fairings as I am with the rotating components (fairings are up to the aerodynamics department).

That said, I think it goes something like....

• Blade 1  faces aft and doesn't fold, so is fully faired,
  • Blades 2 and 3 (on the starboard side) fold to the right, so the fairings are open on the right but close on the left,
  • Blades 4 and 5 (on the port side) fold to the left, so the farings are open on the left but closed on the right.

I stand to be corrected (just trying to think what the Crowsnest Merlin fairings looked like when I was stood atop it the other day 😂)

Merlin_Dimensions_blades_folded.JPG

I think the (ex?)military guys here will have a much better knowledge of the folding than I do!

Re: tape on the blade leading edges... I didn't realise it ever was used, but was used in Afghan according to Neil. The trouble with the leading edge tape is it hinders the aerodynamic performance of the blades (much like leading edge ice accretion).

The titanium erosion shields don't last long in sand though, they look like they've been shot blasted after not long, however, the upper and lower skins of the blades get even more damage, the sand literally strips the paint off and begins to wear the composite.

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

These dozen or so mouldings are a first part of an experiment, if they work (just been painted grey inside and out) I can use them as such but also bear in mind I may be using 0020" plasticard instead of this 0.015" stuff to try again

Finger crossing time this evening 😨

• Like 2

Good work so far. If you want to make the tension link fairings really accurate, paint the inside a buff colour...

There was a time a while back when the aircraft flew without them as they kept falling off (well, slight exaggeration but they did fall off several times). And for folding both blades 2 and 5 must have the lower fairing fitted as the 3 and 4 blades fold under them; without the fairings the blade attachment pins would severely score the upper surface of those blades. See here, note how the 3 & 4 are under the 2 & 5. It's an old piccy from 2005, back end of RFA Fort Victoria bobbing gently around an unusually calm Bay of Biscay.

20050612-IMG-0181.jpg

Jeff (still serving, not ex-)

• Like 4

Buff...

Oh well that remains to be

Hidden?

I'm going to try fitting the thin ones I have already made but the resize might be needed, we'll see

Nice photo Jeff thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thin plasticard ones are a nightmare to trim and fit

They just wobble when the knife approaches

So plan B

Stuff that holds a rigid shape if not drawn too thinly, canopy acetate

We'll see how  these go later

P1010411.jpg

Much more likely to keep its shape but considerably more difficult to trim to size

I have kinda 'got'  the fairings cutaways now so the imposition of gaps is in process now

More laters chapses

Happy birthday Tone

• Like 10