Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

Aha! Now that Ben is an 'insider' at that place near Yeovil the mysteries are solved!

Great stuff (but out of likes... rats) :( 

• Haha 2

The reddish chestnutty browny device you see is one of the five flot bottles on the aircraft - two in the r/h u/c bay, one in the l/h u/c bay and two in the nose. As you can probably guess by their description, they contain helium to inflate the flot bags when activated.

Sadly, not a tot carrier.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Aha! Now that Ben is an 'insider' at that place near Yeovil the mysteries are solved!

Great stuff (but out of likes... rats) :( 

Bwhahaha, you have me all figured out! I must admit, I'm having to be a tiny bit careful that I only say things that can be found on the interwebs :P

It does help that my day job involves working with the CAD files for the 1:1 scale whirly things.

6 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

The reddish chestnutty browny device you see is one of the five flot bottles on the aircraft - two in the r/h u/c bay, one in the l/h u/c bay and two in the nose. As you can probably guess by their description, they contain helium to inflate the flot bags when activated.

Sadly, not a tot carrier.

Jeff

Surely the Merlin for the RAF had a drinks cabinet, with a cabinet for the silverware too ;)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Bwhahaha, you have me all figured out! I must admit, I'm having to be a tiny bit careful that I only say things that can be found on the interwebs :P

It does help that my day job involves working with the CAD files for the 1:1 scale whirly things.

Surely the Merlin for the RAF had a drinks cabinet, with a cabinet for the silverware too ;)

I understand it also had a downstairs scullery for the waiting staff, immediately earmarked as Wardroom Annexe by the Andrew upon annexing the RAF's medium lift programme...

Scuttles off into that dark corner 'til the scuffles die down............

• Haha 3

A more, far less frivolous matter gentlemen

Rotor blades for Merlin

I cannot find any obvious trestle here markings, does the BERP type blade not use them?

Oh and incidentally, yesterday whilst nattering with Tomo at club I removed the unwanted 'knuckles' and am about to install the upper section ridge Italeri missed out too

These rotor blades will be the end of me at this rate, still they'll be nicely finished first

(he muttered prophetically)

😨

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I cannot find any obvious trestle here markings, does the BERP type blade not use them?

Yep, look back a few photos at one you posted at VL air day. Look on the underside on the blade - see those two little black marks? I'll see if I have anything that shows them. 

Look here

Have a look along the top of the blades and see those pairs of black marks...

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2019 at 8:14 PM, Scimitar said:

I just noticed this external (stiffening ?) plate.

resized_2170429c-03bb-444f-b817-0d035402

Is it on both sides of the HMA2 ?

On my two Merlin builds(HC$ and HM2) (yet to be completed), I've used masking tape to repecate the heat blanket panels. It works wall and takes paint too

Colin

27 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

On my two Merlin builds(HC$ and HM2) (yet to be completed), I've used masking tape to repecate the heat blanket panels. It works wall and takes paint too

Colin

Yes me too, its on t'back of mine already

I get the idea the pair of antennae under the nose are homing antennae but the board between the radar unit and the turret are intended to prevent radiation affecting the turrets I believe, from what Jeff told us a while back

Merlin has more aerials and gubbinses on it than you can shake a stick at

• Like 1

The Algerian ones seem a lot thicker, I wonder if  that is a climate suggested version

The masking tape I have used is more suggested than obvious

P1010348.jpg

What a vile photo, I will fix that on the morrow

Painted

P1010352.jpg

Not really impressive enough I trow

P1010354.jpg

Another fitting for sir tomorrow, accept our apologies please

And now the carbuncles upon the bow

P1010355.jpg

These work for me, some vents to be added before final paint job but...

Gratuitous shot of the new mouse

P1010349.jpg

And some Aeroclub strut stretched to make the tapered aerials for under the nose

Added to a piece of Aeroclub tube we get this

P1010356.jpg

Two made of course

The contraption contrived in the left fore ground

P1010357.jpg

Will have added pipes and hydraulics hoses and sit in the underbelly slot masquerading as the deck grabby hooky device

Painted and obscured by the pipes I think it'll do

Also a dribble of Medium Sea Grey on the turret thing

struts to be painted soon

P1010358.jpg

But not tonight, Netflix beckons and a can of 'burrrp'

Ciao

• Like 8

17 hours ago, perdu said:

Thanks Jeff, are they repeated along the blade?

I've had my back exercises so now its into the garage for glue and paint use age

😠

There are three pairs of those black markings along the top and bottom of the blades to show the slinging point for the blades.

The erosion shield is overpainted on the underside as it is used as a tracking strip when the rotors are being dynamically balanced.

Https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/975305/zh841-royal-navy-agusta-westland-aw101-111-merlin-hm-1/

Fyi, though the image source says ZH841 is a 500 series 111 merlin mk 1, much alike your ZH847, it's been upgraded to -115 merlin mk 2 standard.

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Ben, working on it now

That picture tells me I have five more little sculpting jobs to do on the blade roots too

A slight incut to fit and a smaller knuckle to put back

Happy days

32 minutes ago, perdu said:

Thanks Ben, working on it now

That picture tells me I have five more little sculpting jobs to do on the blade roots too

A slight incut to fit and a smaller knuckle to put back

Happy days

Excellent stuff Perdu :) 

Re: blade roots;

Unfortunately, italeri hasn't done a fantastic job on the rotors... both the leading and trailing edges do expand outwards close to the blade root, however, it's much smaller and much closer to the blade root than is modelled on the kit.

This photo shows it very well

Www.b-domke.de/aviationimages/eh101/4261.html

Coincidentally, I've been looking at main rotor blade drawing this morning for a bit of analytical work 🤓

• Thanks 1

Time for a gentle application of half round needle file methinks.

I won't specifically moan about the blades when I could fill a book with 'wotifoundwrongs' on every Italeri kit I ever made

Instead I just accept that Italeri translates as 'needs work' at least they do give us the basis to work on

I've always preferred modelling to assembling 

"Shake'n'bake" isn't me is it?

😂

• Like 3

Ben not wanting you to compromise your employment or your employers rights do you know of a freely available plan view of Merlin's blade shape?

Have any modelling magazines, for instance, ever printed a decent plan view?

This and minor extensions to details on mine such as the heat shielding on the upper fuselage have knocked back my (OK you cruel swineses, laugh) planning schedules

Some time-out is now called whilst I tackles a quick-fire build for April's club comp

The Korean War, American input

Has to be a helo though dunnit...

Open for guesses

Unless you're Tomo

😇

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, perdu said:

Ben not wanting you to compromise your employment or your employers rights do you know of a freely available plan view of Merlin's blade shape?

Have any modelling magazines, for instance, ever printed a decent plan view?

In a short answer, I don't think there are any truly good plans of the the blade, let alone the main rotor hub.

There are good overall aircraft plans which have a good overall profile of the blades, but they don't show the blade or hub in much useful detail. There are various academic reports, presentations and patents produced by Westlands, but these only really show simplified, idealised blades.

Fortunately, there are plenty of incredibly detailed photographs of the main rotor and hub - it just takes a bit of interpretation to model them correctly.

• Like 1

I learned in this thread just how much I didn't know about the Merlin.

The Italeri starting point,sadly the only one I know of in 1/72, as Bill says is certainly no shake n bake.

@pinky coffeeboat and @wellsprop have thankfully added their expertise.

40 minutes ago, perdu said:

tadpolelike.

Flattened

Sikorsky-H5-Helicopter.jpg?fit=720,675&s

or round?

fd4f3c1e54d155953953b868eb980802.jpg

• Haha 4