Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

Dammitall!

BM Just threw away my most recent post just as I was adding a new picture and text

Already three pics in too, just discarded  :(

I will try againly

I was beginning to build the forward walls in the engine compartment which hold the undercarriage and the engine bearers

Measure up and make a drawing to work with

P1010161.jpg

"mind the gears"

P1010157.jpg

This is the inside of the gap measurement to which an extra amount will be added to give the shape I needed

Then using DSPIAE I made a circular blank for the inside curve of the upstanding wall

This piece of engineering has made circles so easy, I 'get it' when Ced and Tomo buy flashy new tools

P1010158.jpg

A  tremendous bit of kit

Then using the angle finder at 90º I traced two straight lines off the tangent and cut out the shape

P1010165.jpg

Holes drilled in the native plastic before I cut out the panels,  ready for the front facing engine bearer brackets to be sculpted

These will be put on the front panel hole after fitting out the freshly painted interior

For colourful reasons I used Xtracrylics RAF grey green BS283 which is truly vile paint to brush with but I didn't dare spraying into the hole

Collateral window painting must be considered a certainty if I had

P1010164.jpg

(that little grey blob is just fresh shaven plastic from a recent trimming, soon excluded)

The front part of the P&W 1360 has had a drop of colour added, a few little pipes and wires to fake up and this will be done

P1010162.jpg

Looks OK to me, you?

P1010163.jpg

I will get on with the front panels next

• Like 8

Small update

The P&W1360 is now glued in awaiting its frontal bits to be set up

P1010167.jpg amazing what a splash of acrylics can achieve

And the front section is now awaiting an exhaust manifold, howzat?

P1010168.jpg

Not glued in because of ancillary additions

Pipes and hoses next

• Like 11

Bill, any chance you can turn your computer upside down so I'm looking at the same profile/shape in both views?   :wicked:

15 hours ago, perdu said:

P1010111.jpg

marvelous, bloomin' marvelous this is Bill.

7 hours ago, perdu said:

P1010168.jpg

Wot with all me traveling and work commitments and lifes curved balls I haven't been around as much as I would have liked.  However, when I do get to drop in, your posts are always first port of call and have helped keep me sane over the last few weeks.  Long may it continue Bill.

The butchery of up top was a wonder to behold and the cover up job was pure brilliance.  You can get better parts by plunge molding than I can with one o' them dental vacuformers

I doff my cap to you sir - you are a true artisan of the school of fettling & phenargling

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hendie said:

I doff my cap to you sir - you are a true artisan of the school of fettling & phenargling

As do I :) 

I don't have a lot of time at the moment but Bill's fettling is always worth a look. 

Tell me. Why did they put the engine at the farthest point from the rotor?

• Like 1

Really great addition Dear Colleague !!

I must have a circular cutter like this one !!

Congratulations Bill !!

Your attention to details on such old kits !!

Really enjoyed it !!

Side note, I got a Customer with a Citroën AMI 6

The poor lady from 1968 has to be towed home, gear box exploded...:tumble:

Sincerely.

CC

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, perdu said:

I use to hate those Citroens

Usually made them go but the engineering, so bizzare

Agreed 200%,

even changing the spark plugs is a nightmare for your fingers !!

What about the valves setting ?? Get the fenders out….

The DS was even worst !!

CC

• Like 2

Wasnt it Hendie who wanted freshly taken view points

Howzat H?

P1010173.jpg

Not very clear but to my eye it shows up as good enough

P1010169.jpg

Some of the many pipes fitted to the pump doohdahs ready for tucking away when it was fitted

And here it is fitted with an attempt at the exhaust pipe round the cylinders

P1010171.jpg

I have wrongly placed holes to fill now

Laters guys

• Like 13

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Wasnt it Hendie who wanted freshly taken view points

ah... I see you took the easy route there Bill!   That's looking pretty darned fine.

20 hours ago, perdu said:

And here it is fitted with an attempt at the exhaust pipe round the cylinders

that internal gubbinses is really coming to life 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Really good one Bill !

I'll save that exhaust trick for my H-19 !

Sincerely.

CC

I wish it was good enough to leave alone

It wasn't so I removed it

But as a fillip I made the heat exchanger looking device that sits behind it and fitted it as a temporary 'see what it looks like'

P1010178.jpgYou'll probably notice a yellow seat for the Sea King to replace the one that went missing last week

Yes when I was test fitting the innards to the S-61N the tight interior (ably aided by my clumsiness) knocked off some of the seats and one of the singles got missed during the tidy up

OK now to work out a better method for the exhorst...

ciao

• Like 9

That engine compartment is looking more than a little splendid. And to think it's underneath too....what is to come on the bits that WILL be visible? 😛

Ian

• Haha 1

The top bit is the hard bit Ian, trying to work out how much it will be worthwhile to put in

The underside is where it is staying now, once the exhaust is on

It will never be judged, as such, because I  no longer build in the vague hope of somebody picking 'mine not his!' so 'generally improved' is my new criterion

To be honest I reckon the exhaust is going to kill this one if anything does, I want a tight pipe round the engine but my present choice of tube is not conforming

Might be time for HEAT...

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, perdu said:

but my present choice of tube is not conforming

F'nar woof and bark!

On 6/1/2019 at 9:28 AM, corsaircorp said:

The DS was even worst !!

Yes but an early '70's DS is a lovely thing to look at.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Perspective Pete, perspective...

CC is and I was a roadside breakdown nutter who would when needed work as many miracles as possible to get the broken motoring  devices of our customers back in service

I would look at the 'job details' with something approaching despair if it said Citroen in the make section

2CVs, Amis and DS I would look at the time and the weather (always late and teeming with rain) and wish I had been an insurance clerk from leaving school

Thankfully those days have gone

:)

for me, not for CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Oh, I've seen the DS stripped down and in work and it could be the thing of nightmares.

Who takes the wings off of a car to change brake pads? But then, inboard rear brakes on Jaguars for instance?

Some cars are easy to work on, some are hard. Some plain or ugly, but I've always liked the DS for it's looks.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Who takes the wings off of a car to change brake pads

The very same boffin who requires you to strip the front end off your car to replace a broken headlight lamp, Halfords don't like them cars you know when you roll in and ask for a lamp change for £9 ( or whatever it is now)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

F'nar woof and bark!

Yes but an early '70's DS is a lovely thing to look at.

To look at !! from far away !

One of my Customer has a SM Maserati….

When he call for assistance, he used to ask for me !!!!

Don't know why !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Perspective Pete, perspective...

CC is and I was a roadside breakdown nutter who would when needed work as many miracles as possible to get the broken motoring  devices of our customers back in service

I would look at the 'job details' with something approaching despair if it said Citroen in the make section

2CVs, Amis and DS I would look at the time and the weather (always late and teeming with rain) and wish I had been an insurance clerk from leaving school

Thankfully those days have gone

:)

for me, not for CC

Thank you Dear Colleague !!

Greatly appreciated, 8 to 9 years left !! :yahoo:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

The very same boffin who requires you to strip the front end off your car to replace a broken headlight lamp, Halfords don't like them cars you know when you roll in and ask for a lamp change for £9 ( or whatever it is now)

You had a Renault scenic phase II ?? :rofl2:

CC

• Haha 1

My friend Gary had one of those, his face registered aftershock for weeks when his Renault Dealership had to fit new bulbs

And that was only on his company's business account

Geee!

Right my mind is made up, the die is cast and the job is finished

No not the whole H-19, just the representing of cast iron exhaust manifolds around the engine cylinders

The first iteration was too thick  and too intractable

Colour that gone

I decided to use cored solder glued round the lower front of the engine and then look to see if I needed to get fiddling the stuff round the back too, afterwards

I didnt

P1010196.jpg

So dark in there that nobody is going to see the top of the engine hidden up there after I touch in the fitting out damage

I painted the solder in my patented 'heated cast iron manifold' colour using Vallejo paints

One part Burnt Umber 71.040 in ModelAir

One part Basic Skintone 70.815 in Model Color

One part RAL9001 White 71.270 in ModelAir

Plus another same size part RAL 9001 White separately to make for the necessary colour changes in places

P1010193.jpg

The upper centre bodge bowl has the basic mix and top right is the fiddled around with colour to finish it all

I refitted the heat exchange device and its hoses and touched in the pinky brown

P1010198.jpg

Some general tidying up tomorrow then I can concentrate on the upperworks

nightnight

• Like 8