Fifty shades .. H-19 the circle closed, ciao baby

perdu

Detailing began below

P1010203.jpg

And above

P1010207.jpg

The weapons rack mounting points were added, both sides

P1010208.jpg

The FLIR unit takes up the forward positions on the starb'd fuselage, I cannot tell yet whether the weapons rack can be fitted/would be fitted if the FLIR is in place, does anyone know if weapons would be loaded assymetrically with the FLIR onboard?

When I build the defensive measure suite would FLIR be aboard too?

I do not want any passing nauticals having a free laff at the Merlin after all, it is already at a Italeri disadvantage

I may have mentioned hating Win 10

Would you mind if I go away now and curse again its execrable file handling methods

I have lost around thirty build pictures from yesterday

"We are not amused"

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Have you been biting the ends of those pencils?

You have, haven't you?

You'll ruin your teeth and have nothing to gnash when listening to the news....

I refer m'lud to the photographs entered in evidence

The plaintiff avers that from all the visible evidence here shown no teeth have been harmed during any artworks on display

Fnarr fnarr

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, perdu said:

And above

Sticking a toilet roll core in a hole counts as detailing these days?  c'mon Bill, your standards are dropping!   Next you'll be building an italeri out of the box and trying to convince us it's fine!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Belts and other inconvenient visible bits for example

P1010196.jpg

That's what I like to see, a nice bit of Billification going on in the innards. Looking good Bill. More please now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few pictures of the FLIR fit on a Merlin HM2 and a picture of ZH841 which has the FLIR fitted on the Stbd side and a weapon Pylon on the Port side, notice that the FLIR fit for the HM1 in my previous post and the HM2 in this post is different. 

32269568857_cba8521915_b.jpgIMGP6569 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

32269517867_7439c0cce4_b.jpgIMGP6566 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

32269518297_420c2d96f5_b.jpg_IMG8420_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Hope they help you answer some of your questions.

Edited by dolphin38
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Merlin may have been fighting you Bill but she is looking really good now. I suspect you have a winner on your hands here.

The Supportive Triumph Driver 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aw Martian, too kind sir

Philip lovely pictures and good info, weapons pylon port side it is then thank you

I really need to know what the rear face of the defensive suite looks like to button that up now

Do we think it might be mirror image except for the round doodah at the front corner of the flare racking?

I don't think it is a mirror image, the bracket in the red area doesnt seem to appear in the blue are so i'm not convinced there is a flare pack on the aft section

but I could be wrong, unfortunately I couldn't take pictures of the aft area of the DAS because of the way the aircraft were parked.

33336604488_30821c27b9_b.jpg1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont think you are wrong there Dolphin, I think the basic top brackets are the same with just the front having the different box for the flares or chaff units

I'm going to go with that anyway

If THEY dont like it, so shoot me

Cheers

b

Thanks for  that, going to be useful for the finer details

I have begun making the 'cast-metal alike' side frames out of .125" wide Evergreen U section

It is not easy to photograph so I havent yet but the basic idea seems viable

There will be further reports from the front

Back

And sides later

looks a viable method of depicting cast metal framework, you'll see

• Like 1

Blimey, either the handling of the Merlin’s active sonar is amazingly good or they are getting cocky through not using it much - a blade aerial that close to a Seaking’s sonar well would have been kocked off by a swinging sonar body in about 2 minutes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just remember Crisp, you taught them how to strive for perfection back in the d...

You know

Can we consult on the gubbins next the sonar well bit, the hole with a device hanging out of it

Is it some kind of SACRU or an unspecified 'other' kind of thing?

I see short cables but nothing like the rats nest of wires under Wessex or Seaking

There's more to it isnt there...

I see a winch/hoist thingy as a possibility

:hmmm:

48 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Blimey, either the handling of the Merlin’s active sonar is amazingly good or they are getting cocky through not using it much - a blade aerial that close to a Seaking’s sonar well would have been kocked off by a swinging sonar body in about 2 minutes!

Nah, in all the years it's been in service I don't ever recall an incident when the body hit the lower antenna.

We did have a time many moons ago when the body was suspected of hitting the H-beam heavy lift frame - it was mounted in such a way as to come a bit too close to the ADS funnel. After a days flying the lads found some interesting scuff marks on the body and a few dings around the H-beam that all kinda matched each other!!

Edit: just thinking about any incidents and I have a vague memory of the cable been wrapped round the u/c leg but that could just have been a training scenario...

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
Slow to respond memory
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, perdu said:

Just remember Crisp, you taught them how to strive for perfection back in the d...

You know

Can we consult on the gubbins next the sonar well bit, the hole with a device hanging out of it

Is it some kind of SACRU or an unspecified 'other' kind of thing?

I see short cables but nothing like the rats nest of wires under Wessex or Seaking

There's more to it isnt there...

I see a winch/hoist thingy as a possibility

:hmmm:

The gubbins next to the ADS funnel is the decklock - a hydraulically operated claw that is shot down to engage with the grid on the flight deck. It's not always fitted but is pretty much standard fit for the (slowly going out of use) flights. 

Just catching up after a weekend away, so I'll do my best to answer any Q that have been asked. Oh, and I'm on a phone and it's even more awkward!!

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff

Answers bring new questions

There's an odd gubbins in the kit that has a flattish box with two oddball arms sticking out that is in unexplained in the destructions

Might that be it?

Better get back on the big screen later for some serious forensics

From memory of building the kit years ago (I think it must have been 2004ish if not earlier) that bit is indeed meant to represent the decklock.

It has a couple of positions  - stowed as it would be in that photo above and lowered ready to engage. When stowed it pivots forwards with the beak pointing to the front. 

It's actually frustrating because I don't have my computer with me that has dozens, hundreds, thousands of pictures of the aircraft from every conceivable angle.

The funny thing is, I was always under the impression that taking pictures of the sticky out bits and "how things are done" if you get my drift were not permitted - top secret and all that. But I did snap a "few" close ups of those bits, purely for modelling purposes and being for modelling purposes were taken from good positions showing angles, shapes,  attachment points and even colours!!! I'm away this week but home again at the weekend. I'll see if what I dig out will still be relevant to your stage of progress.

Jeff 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Can't help with the thing hanging out of the hole...

....but have now located a rear view of the DAS units:

22871492814_140192228a_k.jpg

(Click pic for hi-res version)

Hey look, just the configuration I had decided on for the model

FLIR on the st'bd station and weapons carrier on the port, 'zactly right

So the rear panel on the flare/chaffifiser has rectangular stiffeners and the front has that bent up tinware item with brackets for the chaff packages

gggggrrrrreat

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:29, pinky coffeeboat said:

One thing that annoys me is photos captioned as an RAF Merlin when its marked very clearly Royal Navy!!! But then every military aircraft belongs to the RAF.....

You pre-suppose the ability of most journalists to read!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3