IT'S TIME...AMBUSH!!, GERMAN TANK DESTROYERS VOL2, STUG IV SDKFZ.167 1/35 ITALERI

FrancisGL

Hi Francis! Your progress really is looking excellent! I know what you mean about the PE being over-fiddly at times but it really does add to the overall effect. It all pulls together wonderfully under the primer paintwork. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2019 at 03:03, Badder said:

That's a busy looking StuG you've built there Francis. Looking forward to seeing the paint going on.

Rearguards,

Badder

You're right, it's a "strange" vehicle, with a lot of holes, protruding, it must have been a lot of uncomfortable to be in there, knowing that half (at least) of everything that moved, wanted to blow you to pieces. .

I also want to see it with a layer of paint, and even more to modulate it / weathered, because for me, they are the truly crucial parts, where a kit shines or ruins all the work done so far ...crossed fingers ... lol

Cheers Badder 👍

Edited by FrancisGL

On 21/01/2019 at 15:36, PlaStix said:

Hi Francis! Your progress really is looking excellent! I know what you mean about the PE being over-fiddly at times but it really does add to the overall effect. It all pulls together wonderfully under the primer paintwork. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Many thanks for our kind words and keep the interest in my work, I hope so, fingers crossed ... lol

Cheers Stix 👍

• Like 1

UPDATE 05:

Hi Pals,

new advance with the kit, she already has her first coat of paint, Dunkelgelb. I have chosen to spray everything, later each object will have its appropriate color.

1yliE0a.jpg

hKQtUwB.jpg

KNGIxTy.jpg

BLHWTjj.jpg

pzjobjo.jpg

The first images of the tritone camo that I thought I would do, freehand, so I'm not sure if it will remain as it is, I'll probably change it as time goes by. And another important issue is, the colors chosen, because although now they may look good, with the weathering they will change, so I do not rule out a change either.

FBbFxZj.jpg

xoXYJNj.jpg

X3WU4fA.jpg

jDadmRk.jpg

Xd5GO86.jpg

BKRSEdj.jpg

HRczYGo.jpg

4MFFvIi.jpg

I hope I do not know that, but I need time to see the result and be comfortable and secure, to move forward or change ...

Many thanks as always for watch and comment, cheers mates 👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 9

Looking great Francis,

Personally, I never have the guts to leave the painting until after the whole vehicle has been constructed, so hats off to you! I'm sure you'll do an amazing job.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

On 26/01/2019 at 21:19, PlaStix said:

Fantastic progress Francis!! I do like the look of it in it's paintwork and camouflage.  :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks for your like and kind words, still has enough to camo to see how I would like, no doubt a lot of unwanted work type "trial-error / paint it-erase it-paint it again" ... until I get tired or it makes a good impression ...
Obviously at this moment it is very clear for my taste, and although I know that it will not be this way, it is very difficult for me to make a mental composition of the advanced / final result ...

Cheers Stix 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoftScience said:

This is how I typically build. Paint at the very end. Im trying something a little different with my current project, but the paint it all method works better, I think.

I can see it's almost logical with AFVs like the Jadpanther (ignoring the fact that the inner road wheels could never be painted properly) but I think it'd be next to impossible with things like the Nashorn/Hornisse and Hummel. Then there are your trucks and half-tracks with soft or hard topped roofs....

I suppose one could employ a gadget adapted from an endoscope to go in through an open window and paint the cab interiors, or a very, very, very small child to climb in the back of a Nashorn and paint the shells in the ammo racks and under and between the spars and struts of the 88mm gun cradle and mantlet...... :footy:

Rearguards,

Badder

On 28/01/2019 at 02:14, Badder said:

Looking great Francis,

Personally, I never have the guts to leave the painting until after the whole vehicle has been constructed, so hats off to you! I'm sure you'll do an amazing job.

Rearguards,

Badder

Many thanks for your like and interest, in this case, I am impatient to see what it will look like, so I could not contain myself, and full speed (a bit ironic ...), because it is the second tritone camo I want to do / finish, a work area still very new for me, with its peculiarities.
I will also try once more oil filters. I would like to make a camo with a different tone to the other vehicle, more clearly, I will have to "tune" a lot with the weathering ...

Cheers Badder 👍

On 29/01/2019 at 21:24, Hewy said:

Looking good, The stug is really coming to life francis, the rear looks very busy

Many thanks, i'm glad you like it, although little, if that begins to look like a Stug ... lol.
The back part looks a bit saturated, I really like the appearance of the 2 exhaust pipes ...

Cheers Hewy 👍

UPDATE 06:

Hi Pals,

Continuing with the progress of the model. As I was afraid, I was not very comfortable with the camo, mostly because of the color tone, too light for my taste, always be, thinking that when doing weathering it will darken.

I opted to change the color, darker, but ... I did not end up liking either, so the camo's pattern also changed it, instead of lines from one side of the hull to another, by irregular and disconnected lines ...

Crw2s9w.jpg

INT4aIn.jpg

FkhzhLx.jpg

36RdRSx.jpg

9kytY77.jpg

oTqNvDs.jpg

A filter of oils was applied, to integrate the tone, and the stains have been airbrushed several times until getting something more suitable to my idea, in the most subtle and "nebulous" way that I have been able.

One point that I have dedicated my attention, are the side-skirts, that I love, because they are a piece with a lot of game for weathering.

6fVZv4f.jpg

In principle, I will paint them all, although they may not all fit. It will depend on how they look on your site ...
I have already begun to soil and splinter them, but later on they will continue with the process.

hLIpXGQ.jpg

8QThyAG.jpg

AosSrF6.jpg

The decals are already in place, with the appropriate liquids for fixing.

paVdxXW.jpg

qCVRuBL.jpg

I started to do some splintering with a brush and light color on the vehicle.

aHYOuDh.jpg

JkI8BSv.jpg

A new filter, and I have tried to assemble the side-skirts to see how it is going.

geUvIaA.jpg

Ib8k2Dv.jpg

IbVuFJW.jpg

IMHO, it looks something like a Stug IV.

TxGRcf9.jpg

6INHKnt.jpg

zhVsp3a.jpg

Thank you very much as always for watch and comment.

Cheers mates. 😁

NyuWAWh.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 7

Hi Francis,

After seeing the first few photos I thought 'you've gone far too dark', but that turned out to be due to the properties of gloss varnish and light refraction. In later photos the dunkelgelb looks much lighter , so all is good. And when I say 'good' I mean fantastic. A great job on changing your camo scheme.

I love your tatty, wonky and incomplete schurzen, and the 'chipping' (which you've called 'splintering') is spot on.

I'll say it again, but hat's off to you for leaving the painting until last. It's very brave of you IMHO, but yes, that looks like a StuG IV in my eyes and a very realistic one!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Francis,

After seeing the first few photos I thought 'you've gone far too dark', but that turned out to be due to the properties of gloss varnish and light refraction. In later photos the dunkelgelb looks much lighter , so all is good. And when I say 'good' I mean fantastic. A great job on changing your camo scheme.

I love your tatty, wonky and incomplete schurzen, and the 'chipping' (which you've called 'splintering') is spot on.

I'll say it again, but hat's off to you for leaving the painting until last. It's very brave of you IMHO, but yes, that looks like a StuG IV in my eyes and a very realistic one!

Rearguards,

Badder

Many thanks for your support, interest and like.

It is very possible that the "light tricks" that are seen are due to the position of the lamp, which is not always in the same position, to the background that is seen, of different colors, so that at that moment it is scattered by the table, and even the smartphone that does not have the same white balance ...

The camo seems cooler, I have not done any like this yet, so it has been risky, but better now than later (I bet it would have changed ...).

The side-skirts have as I have tried a lot of game, a smooth metal panels ... what can be done, only the imagination (but oriented to the search of the real vehicle), and the ability of which is capable is the limit ...

They still have a lot of work ahead of them, I'll try to use the sponge, but for some obscure reason, I can not do what I've seen a thousand times for more than I try.

As the treatment progresses, without being perfect, it becomes more like something real and less like a toy.
I hope that I have found a way to make it so.

Cheers Badder. 👍

• Like 1