Typhoon Class SSBN- waterline

Hi everybody.

As 2018 draws towards a close, I thought I'd give you the 'heads-up' of the next sub build, a 1/350 Typhoon Class SSBN of the Russian Navy from the HobbyBoss boxing. I generally build Royal Navy subs but a fellow club member had this kit sitting in his loft, knowing that he will never build it, donated it moi to see that it gets built.

20181220-180811.jpg

The box.

20181220-181534.jpg

Hull halves.

20181220-181600.jpg

Sprue A.

20181220-181657.jpg

Sprue B (their are four of these!)

20181220-182716.jpg

Decal sheets and some PE.

20181220-182000.jpg

Size comparison between the current Russian Typhoon and RN Vanguard SSBN's....need a bigger bench!

As mentioned in the title, this will be a waterline job and will be underway, so no hatches open. This will rid me of quite a lot of the kit and hopefully I use it as a good subject to try out some weathering (maybe) and more water. The tiling on the Typhoon looks a bit OTT and I'll more than likely 'knock' them back. I have heard something of a dimensional issue but we'll see if that is so.

Stuart

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Rob G said:

In a HobbyBoss kit? Surely not, you must've misheard.

Using Wiki figures, the models beam is right but the kits length is 9mm short, about 3.15 metre in real money, haven't worked out where yet.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

As the K Class Sub nears completion and the filler dries on the Vampire, it's time to turn my attention back to this big mother.

20190108-194216.jpg

This will be built OOB with a few amendments. As the title says, this is going  to be waterline and as such I need to make it so.  As she going to be underway, their is no need for the missile hatches to be open, so all I need are the hatch covers, 20 of them. A strip of plasticard was glued inside to give these covers something to glue to without falling through. When in transit, the foreplanes are retracted so another bit of plasticard will be used to fill in the holes and faired-in. Parts have been excised from their sprues to complete the fin, rudder, afterplanes and a couple of other bits.

I have read somewhere that the kit plastic propellers maybe wrong?

Stuart

• Like 5

Hi Stuart I seem to have missed this one big thing in it the boat that is :whistle:

l have the Revell offering but it looks slightly different from your top view thinking that the tower is in the wrong place on the Revell one 

looking forward to seeing more of this 

beefy 

42 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Hi Stuart I seem to have missed this one big thing in it the boat that is :whistle:

l have the Revell offering but it looks slightly different from your top view thinking that the tower is in the wrong place on the Revell one 

looking forward to seeing more of this 

Seeing more...not to sure how much is going to be of interest as high % of the parts are not going to be used.

I have heard that the Revell offering is the worst of the bunch. As far as I can work out the fin in this kit is too far forward and this in turn has thrown the missile locations out. The tiling is a little ott but I'm sure I'll knock that back with some primer and sanding. This build was nothing to do with accuracy but to just build it with some tweaks and to use it as size comparison marker.

Stuart

2 minutes ago, Kevin Aris said:

If underway, she may have the foreplanes extended out, even if she was shut of from diving, (no intention of diving and time soon), 

Cheers Kevin, I may very well 'deploy' them then, just to add a little interest but we'll see.

Stuart

• Like 1

the bridge appears to be set back  to far, over what i pesume to be the control room, or what ever the flared area is, possibly a remote periscope viewing area, as it seams to be external to the pressure hull, or maybe im just talking poo

As I wait for other builds to dry and stuff, thought I'd do a little bit on the 'Tiffy'

20190115-211219-1.jpg

Fin was built up. I've decided to have only a couple of masts up and so the other masts will be housed and areas on the fin top filled, sanded and primed.

20190115-211311-1.jpg

I decided to keep with the idea of the boat being in transit, so foreplanes in, filled, sanded and primed. The forplane area still needs some attention but also of note is what looks like a mould seem.

20190115-211331.jpg

Hatch fairings fitted, all ok.

Stuart

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Courageous said:

The forplane area still needs some attention but also of note is what looks like a mould seem.

A Little sanding and I am sure the wave pattern would cover the rest so you do not see the seam line  :popcorn:

beefy

• Like 1

A bit more done.

20190117-194135-1.jpg

Before the sail was fitted, the sail top was re-scribed for the lowered masts. The sail was glued on, a little PPP was applied around the base and a blast of primer appled.

20190117-194208-1.jpg

Rudder fitted and primer applied.

20190117-204913.jpg

Halford's Satin black from a rattle can applied, nearly time for some stickers...what few their are.

20190117-194645-1.jpg

A little left field is this little critter. I thought that when the Typhoon gets onto its seabase, it might need some company, so I decided to add a boat. So here is a Shapeways offering, a 40 footer that used to belong to the USN. It was cleaned as carefully as I could and was expecting to have hassle with the primer but I shouldn't have worried.

Stuart

• Like 3

Coming along great there Stuart I like the little boat how are you planning on portraying the diorama with the little boat along side or at the dockside  :popcorn:

beefy 

56 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Coming along great there Stuart I like the little boat how are you planning on portraying the diorama with the little boat along side or at the dockside  :popcorn:

Nothing special really. I want the boats at sea, so I guess it'll be just a local boat coming to say hello or goodbye. It's there to show the size of the bigger boat.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Looking great Stuart. The small boat is a great idea to get a feel for the sheer size of the Typhoon. I assume all those "tiles" on the hull of the Typhoon, are acoustic/sound deadening stuff?

Terry

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking great Stuart. The small boat is a great idea to get a feel for the sheer size of the Typhoon. I assume all those "tiles" on the hull of the Typhoon, are acoustic/sound deadening stuff?

Cheers Terry. Yes, they're the tiles. I think they need to be more subtle than you can see.

Stuart

Hi Stuart looking good so far, will follow with interest.

The inaccuracies of the hobbyboss typhoon were covered a while ago, by myself and Ken (Flankerman), i built an Alangar typhoon and modified it to reflect an accurate typhoon model

link 

Ken built the Hobbyboss one and we took a photo of them side by side, pics at bottom of post.

All the best Chris

3 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Hi Stuart looking good so far, will follow with interest.

Cheers Chris. I knew their were threads somewhere about the inaccuracies but I must have got lost in the search. Don't know how much of this is left to be done as it leaves stickers, masts, some figures and base with boat.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Must apologise for the slow pace on this 'quick build' but a drip to Prague, a greenhouse build and other nonsense put paid to that, or was it my slackness.

20190222-204014-1.jpg

The big boat is on its big base. The 'tiffie' sits on a 25mm thick insulation foam block followed by a layer of card to bring it up to the subs waterline. After masking the build, the base was primed and painted a dark sea blue before a couple of layers of acrylic Water texture from Valejo were added. Still to be added to the boat are a couple of masts and maybe a figure in the sail.

20190222-203334-1.jpg

This little boat that will also go on the base as a scale reference was primed white, lower hull was painted anti-fouling red, upper hull a dark blue and a coat of gloss overall. Still to be done on this little thing is a black 'pin wash' in the window recesses, some Formula 560 canopy glue added to the 'bridge' windows and maybe a figure or two.

Stuart

• Like 3

Eventually got round to completing this.

20190302-155552-1.jpg

I misplaced the kit masts so scratch ones had to be made from metal tubing. The windows on the launch had a pin wash and although you can't see him, a figure was added to steer the thing. A wake of sorts was added along the hull and around the stern with white acrylic but was a bit bright, so a wash of the 'sea blue' was applied to tone it down. All done.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1