The first HK Lancaster WIP?

6 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5GPbYRVwab7i3u44tTqXztxrqT

This is what happens when you spray Humbrol gloss Clear onto Tamiya paint. For the record, not a happy bunny. 

Do the fuselage and say the pictures were taken on a frosty morning somewhere in Lincolnshire?!?

Just discovered this topic and have spent a very pleasant hour catching up. The detail is quite superb!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5GPbYRVwab7i3u44tTqXztxrqT

This is what happens when you spray Humbrol gloss Clear onto Tamiya paint. For the record, not a happy bunny. 

Nice wheatering🥴..Anyway not a good combination ... a pity to see this happening on a beautiful made Lanc.

Couldn’t you use tamiya clear instead of taking the risk?

cheers, Jan

24 minutes ago, brianthemodeller said:

Do the fuselage and say the pictures were taken on a frosty morning somewhere in Lincolnshire?!

I did consider that, before getting heavy handed with IPA and stripping back to the plastic. I reprimed with Vallejo acrylic primer (not convinced by it, but I didn't want to use rattle can primer because it is hard to control), left it 48 hours to cure and started pre-shading.

Imagine my 'surprise' last night when the Lifecolor acrylic black started balling on it (like water drops on an oily surface) rather than just staying put. Clearly the modelling gods have more entertainment at my expense planned...

That really is horrible, but I can share your pain! 

I had a similar experience with my 1/32 scale Revell Typhoon. 

A partial re-paint and a decision never, ever to apply a water/acrylic varnish over oil based paint. 

I've actually returned to all oil based paints from Humbrol and others. 

I've also come to the conclusion that mixing acrylic based paints from different makers is playing with fire, you never really know what will happen. 

• 1 month later...

So, it's been quiet for a little while. I have been stripping and repainting the wings, which was not a particularly life-affirming task.  This time, I took the precaution of using Tamiya clear gloss before decaling, on top of Tamiya pigments.  All good.  Until tonight when I looked at one wing.  WTF?

y4mlUB_lzS1cnRnVx__vnov3MJDgihHnDDAj6W53

Some of that is reflected shine.  But clearly visible on the green, and the roundel, is frosting.  Starting to get mildly ticked off by this.  If it gets worse, I will play the 'frosty morning in Lincolnshire card'.

I have also been working on getting the engines mounted.  I am going for two fully cowled (on the side that is opaque) and two in various states of undress (the transparent side).  So here are a couple of views of the starboard inner.  The bays OOTB are pretty empty, and the engines are a bit undersized, so I have dressed them up with a range of entirely fictitious piping and wiring that does make things look a little busier:

y4mt48drvloc2rxMi2cpqHzV-50cr0j3iGymDzH6

y4mSAvevQfXIos0quFZL8_aqO7XoJTB6c1KEaE-2

I'll be dumping a bunch of grime wash on this in a bit, to make it look a bit more lived-in.

I've been doing this for 15 months now, roughly.  It's good to have a hobby, eh?  Ins' Allah I'll finish in the 4th quarter, in time for SH to finally get their Whirlwind onto my bench...

Mike

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Having glossed the fuselage to put on the stickers, I topcoated with matt varnish. Hooray, the chalky effect is back...  

Not many decals. Almost everything is painted except for the Goering quote and tiny stencils. Drawing the bomb tally, and then weeding the mask, was *very* tedious! 

Over at the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection Ron's engineering team is building a Lancaster Special forward fuselage. 

The Lancaster that dropped the first Grand Slam on the New Forest took off from  RAF Boscombe Down. 

So far the cockpit floor is done, the next stage are the curved formers. They have all the parts pre assembled and ready to install. instruments, electronics, seats, etc. 

Most importantly they have a full set of works drawings. 

It started as a project by an enthusiast, who wisely realised that at his rate of work he would never see it finished. So he passed it to the Collection with the agreement we can keep it for 10 years. 

Unfortunately the Collection is closed to visitors for the duration, I'll see if I can get photos from time to time. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...