The first HK Lancaster WIP?

14 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I agree entirely, it isnt cheap yet there are so many things that are wrong that one has to put right . . . . . 

There are so many issues and so many inaccuracies, the cockpit particularly,  that I'm seriously thinking about cutting my losses and selling it for £150.00. Then I can start saving for the Wingnut Wings one. 

Sad to hear that Peter.

Will all the extras you purchased for it (at some expense) be useable on the WNW version when you get it?

I'm waiting for the WNW version and have sold some other stuff in the meantime in order to justify its eventual purchase,

but I am tempted by yours ..........

• 2 weeks later...

A little gentle surgery gave these holes...

y4mVw0vcLMcnRlwOKGFq1vzcZD_G2MDaSOR7jeo0

The thing you can see at the front of the wedge shaped recess is the pipe linking the engine block to the radiator.  It definitely looks better with these voids cut out (even though one of them is shortly to be covered up by a fairing).

The engine nestling in its nacelle.  The jury is out as to whether I'll cover this one up entirely, or leave some panels off.  If I do have one or two engines on display, I think there is an ugly amount of piping and wiring I'll need to supply.  I bet there should be more gubbins on the firewall, too.

y4mNC173rWCm93Uw82bduaMklh5Wvii_CmamAHUk

Speaking of plastic surgery, this was tedious.  Particularly by the time I'd done 4 nacelle's worth!

y4m4m0EkfTyRKEuyPlreOJ6VtVd-q1y2YJxwnSI-

It looks good in situ, though.  I have ordered up some Eduard photo etch to dress up the landing gear a bit, in particular lining the undercarriage doors should make a significant difference to how they look (replacing featureless surfaces with some nice panel and rivet detail).  They also have pieces that enhance the girders I spent all that time cutting out.  Pictures after I receive photo etch, and install it.  I'll say now that I rarely get on well with PE, but hopefully these will be installable with minimal fuss.

Laters...

• Like 6

Hello again, time for this week's catchup.  I don't usually get on with photo-etch, but this time it seems to be working for me.  It might be because I'm using a high quality CA glue.  Who knows?  Anyway, three four pics to show a week's progress!

y4mjeMRAYZ0RWdoJ8NFGe2I4DKntykWg9X-iseXD

y4m30-nRLSS9hxmafLs9w1CvAKli-aJPPmq5bPqC

y4m6qimcDS2m3RAzLITBmdOBc77pBx4FrtdT25yi

y4mGh1iLGdhbQMDnZ1cf-C_EefqqfMsO4gtrwG-n

And that's that!  I'll need to put a little more black onto things (which seems to be an occupational hazard with a wartime night bomber!) but I reckon its going in the right direction...

Mike

• Like 9

Brilliant workmanship, but  bridge too far for me. 

I sold my untouched HK kit....

I wish the new owner all the best. 

I'll continue to follow, wondering how so much skill is displayed. It makes my efforts look sad...

Have you got to do all that work on all the nacelles? 

• Thanks 1

Is @Mancunian airman the inheritor of your kit?  Well, whoever gets it, good luck!

It isn't particularly skill (although I am now fairly experienced, being in my mid 50s), with a big kit like this, for me it is more about perseverance: the large scale means that there is more to worry about but equally, the pieces tend to be bigger, which helps with my eyesight!  It also helps if you like the subject matter.  I made a Kitty Hawk Bronco last year but it really didn't do it for me.  No idea why, it's a perfectly good kit (decals are dodgy, mind!) but I just didn't like the result when I'd finished.  The Lanc I will let a large number of inaccuracies go by simply because I like Lancasters!  It will certainly have 'presence' by the time it's done.

Regarding all that PE: it only applies to the inner nacelles (i.e. those with landing gear).  As I have a supply of engine panels building up, and I just invested in a riveting tool to deal with the 'extra' dinghy location HKM saw fit to supply, I might try riveting up the interior of the panels just to see how it goes. 

Anyway, as they said 100 years ago, I imagine it will all be over by Christmas!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Warning to future builders. The tolerances on the undercarriage are really tight, to the extent that paint makes things jam.

When I do the second nacelle, I will probably build the undercarriage into its seats before enclosing the bay with the 2 halves. This isn't clearly the order recommended in the instructions but installing the undercarriage after the sides were together was really difficult.

If I hadn't cut outside the voids on the wing rib I don't think I could have got the undercarriage legs in there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not too shabby! As with many things, waiting for a grime wash. 

y4mLfh1R-WeWEhgvUqiTc-7Em_IeCoCHrc2Ihzr9

The engine nacelles are ferociously tight. Much fettling is prophesied. 

Got some custom masks today to do R5868 as she is in the RAFM. Hooray! 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike

You are still cracking on with this and all the good for you.

I purchased the Lancaster from Peter.

When I start mine, probably in the New year, I will have had the benefit of a number of builds so I already have a list of alterations that I will do.

I have already built a number of pieces as support equipment as I intend to display this beast at home in a prominent position.

I cant believe its coming up a year since you started this . . . .

I went to see Just Jane at East Kirby yesterday. I'll post some close up photos later. Being able to stand close and look at the engines was fascinating: the radiator blocks were obviously new and aluminium, just as on my car. The weld lines on the exhausts are also very obvious, it seems that there is a divider inside each fishtail. 

Good luck both of you, I'll watch with admiration. 

Peter

On 25/09/2019 at 22:03, Chaotic Mike said:

The thing you can see at the front of the wedge shaped recess is the pipe linking the engine block to the radiator.  It definitely looks better with these voids cut out (even though one of them is shortly to be covered up by a fairing).

The engine nestling in its nacelle.  The jury is out as to whether I'll cover this one up entirely, or leave some panels off.  If I do have one or two engines on display, I think there is an ugly amount of piping and wiring I'll need to supply.  I bet there should be more gubbins on the firewall, too.

y4mNC173rWCm93Uw82bduaMklh5Wvii_CmamAHUk

This is a photo of Just Jane's Starboard outer engine. 

spacer.png

A lot of plumbing! Note that the exhaust ejectors are alternately angled and there is an internal splitter, with a corresponding weld on the outside.

I have no idea what the silver pipes under the exhaust stubs are for. 

The radiator matrix in black, the body silver. 

The rod hanging down from the ends of the cross shaft are the radiator flap adjustment actuators. 

Hope this helps...

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

Note that the exhaust ejectors are alternately angled

Note that the exhaust ejectors are a hodge podge of at least 3 different designs randomly fitted to the engine. Servicable stubs fitted for ground running engines, wartime fitment would have been stubs of the same pattern.

1 hour ago, 224 Peter said:

I have no idea what the silver pipes under the exhaust stubs are for. 

One set of HT leads for the outboard sparkplugs (there's another set on the inside of the V) The Magneto for this bank is immediately aft of the flexible armoured cable running aft from the protective pipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

No pics to show, but I have been busy getting the inboard nacelles to fit.  It is a *really* tight fit, with significant fettling at the micron-level required.  Top tip: don't take off the little lips moulded on the inner faces of the inner nacelles where they are intended to engage the wing structure: they help hold the profile of the wing as the nacelle goes in.  But they *also* make it really hard to get the nacelles in.  I also had to grind about half a millimetre from the roof of one of the undercarriage bays before the nacelle would settle in place.

So for light relief I painted the propellers and spinners, just to give the illusion of progress!

I'm fighting a tendency to just get the beast finished, after nearly a year.  This is really a dangerous point for me, because the painstaking work I indulged in earlier might get swept aside in a rush for results.  Hence leaving the man cave and sitting down with  glass of Sauvignon Blanc instead!

• Like 3