The first HK Lancaster WIP?

Thanks to everyone who responds! Hopefully this is all going to look OK when it is all integrated. I started the front turret, using replacement brass barrels from (I think) Model Master, or Master Models, or maybe Masdel Moters. Anyway, they are gorgeous. Almost seems a shame to spray them black. 

• Like 1

Maybe I should hold out for Eduard or Montex to come up with some masks...  This took over an hour...

y4m1qrmP0mt1t5BBOZfJJo54iBuGozyk5QF8kaNM

Eventually, you will see it with the innards, in a range of different blacks.  But that's a few days away.

• Like 5

Nigel over on LSP has spotted a howler courtesy of HKM, concerning the horizontal stabilisers.  Long story , they are moulded so that the two upper surfaces mate with each other, and the two lower surfaces mate with each other, but you can't build correct left and right stabilisers with the appropriate upper and lower surfaces.  "Unbuildable!", I hear you shriek.  Not so fast.  Nigel has proposed a fix which you can find elsewhere; I have adopted a simpler (to me) approach.  The main problem is that the stabilisers' surfaces that connect to the fuselage have a couple of pegs to reinforce the join.  Trouble is that these are associated in such a way that the stabilisers with the pegs can't be joined without a bit of surgery, so look at these 2 pics:

y4mzkMm5cdq5kDnVIxEqBzlGTXL336t1eXUEui8Z

y4mYob1HcBSwUhUVweXiPMdgqlUvkPiMm4gEW44i

In the first picture, I have removed the piece of the pegs that aligns with the shell of the stabiliser, but left the majority of the peg intact.  In the second picture, I have just cut and filed away the whole peg.  This means that this pair of parts will now join successfully - I also had to remove the pin sockets from both halves, but that's a trivial task.

On the other side, you are left with a pair of components that mate to leave a couple of holes on the face that goes against the fuselage - I will install suitable dowel/tube/sprue/whatever to create a pair of pegs when I get round to joining the stabilisers to the fuselage.

Apart from the above, I have spent 3 hours (no, really) doing nothing except masking the crew canopy.  Come on Eduard.... you know you want to...

Mike

• Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:06 PM, Mancunian airman said:

...the 'kit of all Lancaster kits'

Until WNW release their version!  It would be interesting to see how the two cockpits compare, but I don't think my pockets are sufficiently deep...

• Like 1

Well Mike, I know my pockets are not deep. With that being said, I have started to build my 32nd scale WW2 fighter kits. I can't at this time afford bomber kits that are out there. But if I heard rumor that an F-111 was in the works I'd be saving my change to get one. That would have to be a near production rumor. I am saving to purchase a B-17E/F kit. Just saying.

Your build is coming along wonderfully and am taking notes and collecting your images to some day use those to build my own.

Ron VanDerwarker

13 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I attempted and built the internal cockpit framing on my Tamiya Lancaster and I dont think it was that far out and when looking at it now, I have to say, it looks a lot more business like . . . .

By cutting plastic strip?  That sounds like a tricky endeavour...

Whilst removing and sanding what seemed like hundreds of moulding pips from the fuselage, serendipity sent me 2 little stubs of 4mm diameter plastic attached to the rear turret cavity - the perfect size to insert into the holes in the swapped over stabilizer. Result! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chaotic Mike said:

Whilst removing and sanding what seemed like hundreds of moulding pips from the fuselage, serendipity sent me 2 little stubs of 4mm diameter plastic attached to the rear turret cavity - the perfect size to insert into the holes in the swapped over stabilizer. Result! 

Karma, that is! Keep up the good work. 

W-D 

On 2/26/2019 at 7:10 PM, Chaotic Mike said:

That looks excellent.  What did you use? (he said, planning to shamelessly steal the idea)

Mike

I just used plastic rod at the front and 20 x40 thou strips . . . .

Progress, you say?  Well, mainly masking transparencies and assembling the turrets.  Have some gratuitous turret action...

Mid upper:

y4m6rXXE7qPb5CEkdOnGIiA8I9KR3K44t9TO22KZ

You can see where I have drilled out the lightening holes on the frame that supports the guns.  I also drilled the holes on the sleeves that the guns poke through.  You can almost see them above - taking photos of black holes on a black background is a challenge!  I'll need to put a little brass onto the cartridge belts, and touch up the scuffs and scrapes that assembly is bringing to the party.

Front:

y4mPiaRjRaycBKR-N7VvEmu7AVRqFg8c7NjRy0Ef

Funny how well filled ejector pin marks reappear under a coat of paint.  Did I say 'funny'?  It isn't...

Next pic tries to show the three different shades of black I'm using, which are Tamiya Flat Black, Semi-gloss black, and a metallizing wash made of very thinned black and silver, with the emphasis on the black.  There's a lot of black in my future, I think...  As opposed to the Future in my black that I'll use for a wash...

y4mvqTznYS_WRkpgoO8r4kcPFt7WsTd6AjW1HN7E

Not visible are the tiny rivets I fashioned to attach the seat belts to the cushion frame.  But I know they're there.

Finally, the gorgeous Master Models gun barrels, that are so much better than the plastic.  The plastic isn't bad, but these go to a different level:

y4mlfSjORtONj98el79Pkp3a-BloZ4-Z3MNqP0kv

These won't be going anywhere near the model until assembly completes.  I know how clumsy I can be!

• Like 3

It's going to go quiet for a bit, as I am going on holiday for a few weeks. When I return, I'll be tackling the rear fuselage, and probably making a foolish decision regarding the transparent option... 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back from holiday...

y4mH_Dwi-BUs5cfdp8cwVyv9fhPUCxe8_jJVGbs1

I went to New Zealand, where they have whales, amongst other delights.  Whales are just as hard to get good photos of as planes on the wing, with the possible exception of most of the Shuttleworth Collection because they move slower than the average whale.  But I digress.

Here are two sets of pumps, augmented with a little copper wire to represent the connections to whatever it is they are pumping:

y4mW-vq7HAdBYzQ5hEkcjYMiUjBOL10Qi926Jih6

Because of these, and sundry other bits of the interior that will be coming along, I have decided to go ahead and use the starboard transparent fuselage half, to continue from the nose.  After the pain of masking the nose to paint the stringers and frames, I thought I would have a go painting these freehand, and cleaning up bad edges with a cocktail stick.  Initial experiments are showing reasons to be optimistic - I reckon if I just do a few frames per session, it'll get done without my going blind.

Maybe.

• Like 4

And now I look at the picture, I start to wonder just how much I care about the ****ing ejector pin marks that I was blithely ignoring...  Incidentally, the metallics in use are Revell Aquacolor steel, Citadel Skullcrusher Brass (got to love their names), and real copper for the pipe.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting perilously close to zipping up the fuselage.  Here's the left half...

y4mg9W6PZu2Z7569syep40aKgQY2AnwdN1TJgmw6

And the right half...

y4m8uF4sekl2_Hk7eereDsWyufdG12c50LLZO1b2

I'll say right now that painting all those ribs and stringers freehand, and then repairing the damage/overpaint with a cocktail stick, didn't feel like a life enhancing experience.  Looking t it, I'm considering continuing the ribs across the window strip - the way it is moulded the ribs are interrupted, but I'll bet in real life that they were continuous hoops.

Here are a few closeups of the interior:

y4mcFrMxrbGU-QDKhC7EH9-KY098OqSEyDSmorvO

y4md-9T4ZaPu5owa5XYWPhX37Zh3KP_9S9fTE8W4

I also ran a cable from the front back to the rear turret along on of the stringers.  Guess what?  Completely invisible.

Soon, I think the world of engines and undercarriage will be featuring in my future...

Mike

• Like 11

I've started joining the halves. Perfect fit from the mid-Upper turret back, but a bit tight around the cockpit and nose. C-clamps might be involved, which, given the brittleness of the clear plastic, makes me slightly nervous. 

Pics when it's all done and dusted.