The first HK Lancaster WIP?

I sussed the seatbelts.  I reckon what the instructions refer to as fabric part 3 is actually part 8... which sort of worked, although they seemed a bit long, and I didn't even try to wrap parts 3 around the torso harness.

Anyway, over here at Large Scale Modeller there is a fairly jaw-dropping build going on, from which I am shamelessly stealing details and ideas!  The LSM build has some excellent piping installed around the back of the pilot's seat, so I have done my own version by bending copper wire...  Here it is...

y4mFgaS2K7E3MHS_tPkkBc58hrLzBPjpTHE5BvM0

y4mOZl7feNdKzknaj1PSG7-js02n6uEFc1f8RoGa

Eventully it will go a lovely grubby interior green.  The big red lever is modelled fairly crudely, it actually represents a lever that rotates between two circular plates, so I cut the groove along the top and highlighted with a bit of Citadel Gryphon sepia wash.  I really like their washes, apart from the smell because some of them really stink!  I'll be putting some map pockets in shortly, as well.

The seatbelts are going to need a bit of taming.  I reckon it'll be diluted PVA glue followed by matt varnish to remove the inevitable high gloss effect.

So... that is what a week's progress looks like.  Ready by the time WNW release their effort to market?    I could do a kit bash using the transparent parts from the HK one.  Alternatively I could just wait and watch their price climb on EvilBay! 🙂

• Like 4

Thanks Christer and everybody. I used HGW belts in my Tempest, swore I'd never touch them again, and then, after looking at the brass PE that came with the kit, thought I had to do something better. It's only money, time, backache and eyestrain! 

Another week has passed, and what do we have to show for it?  The art of teeny-tiny, again.

The kit has a bomb-bay camera, but it doesn't seem to have a lens attached.  Cue putting a mostly circular piece of sprue into my trusty Dremel, and lathing it down to a shallow cone that got cemented onto where the lens should be.  Then, I drilled out the centre.  Maybe I should keep widening the hole, because the walls are a bit thick in scale terms.  Or, maybe I should lighten up given that this will be hiding in the bomb bay, underneath the plane and safely out of view.  Still, it gave me a sense of satisfaction.

y4mC4D1QJ97zQ6h8FQu1ipiVUgRoQ-gx4k7MZgIc

But not as much satisfaction as the two fuel cocks I applied to the Airscale PE Engineer's console...

y4mXABS79Bn2wyNvjBp-Zs4g_a_TVs7LuQlxISj0

It looks hideous at this magnification, but it's much more palatable in real life (anyone remember that?).  The fuel cocks were created by scribing a circle onto 40 thou plastic card, drilling six holes around the circumference and then completing the scribe to break the pieces away from the card.  The good news being that unlike lots f other tweaks, this actually will be visible when complete.  Speaking of cockpits, here is where I have got to...

y4mPsKvkDPfM8o_Eg_PrszmGEaVLg1sP5hXizMoi

Everything is still dry-fitted, pretty much.  Highlights include scratching a pair of map cases next to the pilot's seat, and the work in progress Airscale IP with its 14(!) levers, that I am going to dress up with blobs of PVA to gives the knobs some depth (oo-er missus, etc.).  I didn't try desperately hard to get this picture in focus, it just presented the opportunity.

Anyhoo, that's it for another week.  I'm *nearly* finished the first page of the instructions....

Mike

• Like 10

On 1/7/2019 at 12:17 PM, Chaotic Mike said:

This is the rudder bar. It looks a bit crude to me, but the primary issue I have with it is that the pedals are at different heights. I couldn't have got it wrong, because the pieces are engineered to be Murphy-proof. Any experts going to tell me that all Lanc pilots had oddly shaped legs, before I indulge in a little slicing? 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5GPbYRVwab0Ht_Z-XM5df479RB

Mike, looks like HK may have been caught by an optical illusion.

The pedals do sit at the same level for both pilot and F/Eng/2nd pilot where fitted, but they're mounted from 2 parallel shafts, so the left pedal will be slightly longer than the right to compensate. Pics below are from PA474, pilot's pedals from inside the cockpit, 2nd pilot pedals shot from underneath through the lower escape hatch - the latter shows what I've rather poorly described above.

PA474-pilot-rudders.jpg

PA474-2nd-pilot-rudder.jpg

Regards

G.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Debating the sanity of making about 20 of these, but using a smaller diameter rod, to wire up the back of the engineer's panel.  Why?  Because I think I'll use one of the transparent front sections due to the extra work I'm doing elsewhere in the pit...

y4m4xg3RsFL0leee1Q0h3zbW8LOtRorUekR9ocq2

• Like 4

Thats interesting  . . .  and I think a great idea, using one half of the clear fuselage, to show the wiring etc

As these are going to be part of my HK Lancaster build, can i pop these here to show what I have built ??

32984102928_196852461a_z.jpg

46859525181_94fc92df70_z.jpg

The 32nd figure comes from SKP

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 2

OK, I've taken the plunge.  3.2mm polystyrene rod at the ready, I have glued a bunch of cylinders onto the back of the engineer's panel, in wait for some wiring.  I might try and grind on the little rebates you can see on the bottom pair, across all of them.  I have also put in a couple of pipes that match up to the fuel cocks on the front side.  This is all fictional, of course.  You can also see plenty of egregious ejector pin marks that I have filled with Perfect Plastic Putty because it looks so much like my fictitious instrument mounts.

y4mAom9WC55ZGlZx0Ba19J933rf8TtdI-4Nwbh4r

You can also see, blurrily, where I drilled out the handle that sits behind the huge trim wheel.  I do sometimes doubt my sanity, but I suppose it keeps me from standing on street corners shouting at cars...

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

but I suppose it keeps me from standing on street corners shouting at cars...

that made me laugh, sounds like fun, might have to give it a try when its a bit warmer

great job on the Lanc, following with mucho interest.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to regret this.  I'm also going to have to drink a couple of gallons of rioja to acquire more fine wire.  And maybe find a finer wire than the one I'm using, or drill more holes in bulkheads, or something...

y4m4Yto6rqZPSkiIs8nKljRKaLL4p4f5wK6g6vFQ

*Hours* of fun for all the family.  Maybe I should go back to standing on street corners, shouting at cars.

• Like 8

Second attempt.  This time, I pulled apart some 13 amp power cable to get the thin copper out from inside.  Maybe a better scale, and it'll fit through the holes I've drilled.  This was 90 minutes work, give or take...

y4mg99Lg2WwNq73Ie4zcY_hxLjewLosBi5Doa-QB

• Like 6

Currently I am hand cutting masks for the transparent front fuselage, so that I can spray the ribs and stringers interior green/black but maintain clarity.  Let's just say that there are an awful lot of little rectangles to be released from their Kabuki tape prison!  I'll post a picture when my will to live returns...

• Like 1

It's not quite as bad as it sounds, because most lines are straight.  Basically I'm laying lines of narrow tape that overlap along the top and bottom of each panel aligned with the stringers, then using a sharp knife to cut along the rib edges, leaving a little rectangle behind.

Did I say it's not as bad as it sounds?  It isn't, but on the other hand it isn't exactly good, either!

• Like 1

Several hours later, and I'm not finished yet!

y4m0OZb2L4-4OvdD8-KPvUqD_CuEArrue3_vvqA4

*Probably* won't do the rear fuselage... This was quite bad enough.  To all you people who say you hate masking transparencies, and/or wait for the masks from Montex and Eduard, I say 😛!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks later, and what do we have?  A lot of wire, mainly, and a bunch of finely masked stringers and ribs.  I have nearly finished this phase, and will be moving on to the front turret, and then the rear of the fuselage.  Chances are slim that I will do the same masking of the framework as I did for the front...  it's significantly bigger!

y4mbD-sIbhRDayhKbMyMnr6T6Carj5LQO0MY6_Vd

y4mFiMdUVoLvW03lp1DdYeFBK0WPAOgjCRrmZoCs

y4m0Kpn6pQ6ZdVyUWdsbrmCAa7oRgdnn0pMoSi6C

The wires are made of individual strands of copper pulled from a 13-amp kettle lead.  I used the neutral line for scale accuracy, because live uses larger strands...  JOKE!!!

I think, for each piece of glazing I have placed so far, I have managed to get a slight runnel or dollop of Tamiya extra-thin onto the transparent surface, so I am also becoming at one with micromesh.

Laters, taters....

• Like 6