Qyxp6Wm.jpgI won't dwell on the kit in much detail - as most here will have read thorough reviews or seen WIPs - but it's a real treat to build. Lovely detail, and nicely engineered. My only issues was that for some reason the top of the instrument panel ended up too high, and as a result the instrument hood (?) didn't fit. Took a bit of whittling. My fault I am sure. 

I don't have an airbrush, which has always put me off making planes which require the typical Luftwaffe mottling along the fuselage. But I do love the FW190, so doing a desert scheme seemed a neat sidestep of the mottling fear. I got the tropicalised Eduard resin cowling, which was my first resin aftermarket experience. I was a little surprsied that there were no instructions about how to fit it to the plastic kit. Not sure if I did it wrong but I ended up having to chop quite a lot of interior parts off to make it sit flush. Anyway - it's a lovely and detailed addition. 

Kit was painted with Citadel primer and tamiya rattle cans. All details brush painted. And then weathered with oil paints. Pretty happy with the result. And a kit I would recommend to anyone!

I made up the markings, and used a fun spare of what looks like snoopy walking over Africa with a bomb... Think it was from an Eduard Bf108 kit sheet. 

Cheers, 

Bruce

ChEmQFE.jpg

Kd5t9Dh.jpg

yUTQeED.jpg

ZFSJqQr.jpg

Mjf2Pt1.jpg

SWM5zbA.jpg

UDbRzTq.jpg

Edited by bruce bay
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, celt said:

As a fellow brush painter,I too stay away from mottle camou,your Fw190 looks really good in desert colours.Well tidy indeed.:clap2:

52 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Supurb result...  Like you a hairy stick painter.   I've done a couple of 1/72s needing mottle finish and find I fiddle and fuss too much over it..    Challenging though. 😁 

Thank you both! Mottling is really the only thing that tempts me about airbrushes... Would open up Italian planes too! But yes, the challenge is the fun of it I suppose, one day I will take it up! 

Great looking model and paint work. I just graduated to an AB two years ago. I have an Aztek A470 and its very easy to use. After finishing a paint project I always have a bit of paint left so I practiced mottling. I just finished my first motteled aircraft and it didn't turn out so bad. It's time to hit those 30 or so Luftwaffe aircraft in the stash................

..when you think about it there are a considerable number of Luftwaffe subjects that don't require any mottling at all, and not just those with the green 'splinter' schemes  - plenty of overall red ones, black ones, white ones, light blue ones, sandgelb ones etc etc...AIMS even does a decal sheet entitled 'Monotone Messerschmitts' with many examples... very nicely finished 190 too by the way!

10 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

..when you think about it there are a considerable number of Luftwaffe subjects that don't require any mottling at all, and not just those with the green 'splinter' schemes  - plenty of overall red ones, black ones, white ones, light blue ones, sandgelb ones etc etc...AIMS even does a decal sheet entitled 'Monotone Messerschmitts' with many examples... very nicely finished 190 too by the way!

Very true. I will look into the AIMS sheet too! 

8 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

Very, Very nice looking Wulf. No swastika?

Thank you! I give most of the kits I make to the children of friends - and the swastika has been known to knock that system out of line a little! 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Great looking model and paint work. I just graduated to an AB two years ago. I have an Aztek A470 and its very easy to use. After finishing a paint project I always have a bit of paint left so I practiced mottling. I just finished my first motteled aircraft and it didn't turn out so bad. It's time to hit those 30 or so Luftwaffe aircraft in the stash................

One day I will take the plunge. I do love the idea, just fear it will tip me over the edge into full obsession! 

15 hours ago, fubar57 said:

This is my first attempt. I think the best thing to do, after a bit of practice, is to find a subject with very few mottles. I also use an old 1:48 Harvard to practice on.

blackadder57_180318_5aadad083ca22.jpg?15

That looks fab. And one of my favourite planes too! Inspiring me to give it a go. 

Very nicely done!!

I do have an airbrush but due to a series of reasons I haven't been able to use it (hopefully I'll be able to start again soon). In the meantime, I've done mottling with brush and managed a decent job basically building them with the dry-brush technique.

Miguel

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mig88 said:

Very nicely done!!

I do have an airbrush but due to a series of reasons I haven't been able to use it (hopefully I'll be able to start again soon). In the meantime, I've done mottling with brush and managed a decent job basically building them with the dry-brush technique.

Miguel

I use a very fine brush with white spirit to soften the edges.   Don't let the area you are softening the edges completely dry. 😁...   

• Like 1

Thanks for posting and well done on a superb finish!

This is the first time I've seen a FW190 in a desert scheme, didn't even realize they were used in Northern Africa...that's a void in my aviation knowledge that needs filling,

8 hours ago, bruce bay said:

That looks fab. And one of my favourite planes too! Inspiring me to give it a go. 

Looking forward to it. As I am only a novice myself I can only offer this. Start simple. P-47 or a Japanese subject with only upper and lower camo. Practice mottles and fine lines with any left over paint you have

George

• Like 1