Martin Baker MB-5 AZ-models

modelldoc

Put the Martin Baker MB-5 from AZ on my table.

There is a grey (Light Grey overall with the MB-3 rudder) option.

Can't found pictures from this version. All pictures show the standard RAF camouflage with the yellow underside.

Is these grey option real or one of these unlikely czech what if options?

modelldoc

40 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Not sure about that one, it’s not listed as a what if. It’s more likely to be a pre delivery factory scheme. AFAIK it was camouflaged at the time of it’s first flight, but AZ May have decided to depict it as it was on completion.

i know a man who may know

Trust me, it was never placed in production. AFAIK there was more than enough Spitfires, Furies and Tempests around in '45 and '46. The RAF was looking firmly at jet aircraft by then

/Finn

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

Trust me, it was never placed in production. AFAIK there was more than enough Spitfires, Furies and Tempests around in '45 and '46. The RAF was looking firmly at jet aircraft by then

/Finn

Oh, I know that but AZ provide three colour options for R2496 - two in camo, and one without - it's a very specific thing to show, and I wonder if it's based on an image they have showing it pre-delivery. The pics purporting to be at Harwell at the time of it's first flight show it in camo, so this would have to be before then. Joe, who is thanks on the box, is a friend, so I have asked him. Jan is a member of the forum, so perhaps he can tell us?.Jan?  @Jan Polc

AZ7553_camo.jpg?fit=1920,1348&ssl=1

Edited by Dave Fleming

I can see why some people dislike What-If subjects, but I find them amusing or downright silly, sometimes both.  They aren't compulsory.  I would prefer them to be clearly labelled as such, as there is after all enough myths and cobblers being passed around as real nowadays, but modelling is a small world and a few in-jokes are not heinous crimes.

The bottom line is that anyone who doesn't know already is unlikely to be buying an MB5 kit.  This isn't an Airfix kit in Woolworths in the 50s.  Anyone interested enough can readily find out about the subject by going on the internet or Actually Reading Books.

Having said the above, I think that Dave is making a good point.  Offhand, do AZ usually mix their real and fantasy subjects in a single boxing?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

.. there is after all enough myths and cobblers being passed around as real nowadays, ...

Ain't that the truth.  Occasionally it is intentional (and what-ifs are an innocent variety of that), usually it's down to lack of knowledge and all too easily it's just an unfortunately chosen word or phrase which creates a false impression which becomes rapidly takes root as "fact" and may then snowball.  Which is why, in this season of goodwill, I apologise to the membership for occasionally being downright picky in querying or challenging posts: we have all seen how quickly a lie is halfway round the world before Truth gets his boots on.  I hope I am equally hard on myself.

Many thanks to Dave and his friend for establishing once and for all that the overall grey M.B.5 is NOT an internet myth.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2018 at 13:23, Dave Fleming said:

Update - Joe says it's based on a photograph showing it in overall grey with just the serial visible. The roundels may or may not have been present.

You learn something new every day, thanks

This is my take on the MB-5, a mean looking beast; 1:72 CMR resin

oIa2P4E7_o.jpeg

/Finn

Edited by FinnAndersen
image host update
  • Like 9

50 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Update - Joe says it's based on a photograph showing it in overall grey with just the serial visible. The roundels may or may not have been present.

Wow.   That's new and gives modellers a great, real option.  I wonder where he found that photo.

David

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

I wonder rpt wonder whether it's another case of that "photographer's grey" being discussed earlier in the week.

I have the Silver Cloud 1:48 MB5 - the instructions therein state that "possibly" the aircraft had the yellow undersides repainted in sea grey medium and the 'P' marking removed post-war - but I have been unable to find any photographs to verify or to disprove that. If I ever get around to building mine it will be ocean grey/dark green/yellow with a black spinner.

It would be helpful to see the 'overall grey' photograph, but that might just be another  :worms:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

When we were working on MB. 5 kit, I was in contact with Joe Warner Cherrie, who provided me a lot of information about the prototype of this plane.

Among them it was also this about Medium Grey overall.

I do not think it is what-if.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 21/12/2018 at 09:47, Seahawk said:

Ain't that the truth.  Occasionally it is intentional (and what-ifs are an innocent variety of that), usually it's down to lack of knowledge and all too easily it's just an unfortunately chosen word or phrase which creates a false impression which becomes rapidly takes root as "fact" and may then snowball.

The Revell Haunebu saucer comes to minf after that statement.

Or the He177 atomic bomber?  Or too many other Luftwaffe aircraft.

What has come to mind is a comment from a long time back that the MB5 had symmetrical aerofoil tailplanes, so only one set of spares was needed rather than handed sets.  Therefore the tailplanes were camouflaged on both sides.  Comments please?

16 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

What has come to mind is a comment from a long time back that the MB5 had symmetrical aerofoil tailplanes, so only one set of spares was needed rather than handed sets.  Therefore the tailplanes were camouflaged on both sides.  Comments please?

I would imagine that you would keep them painted only in some sort of primer and then paint them the relevant colours after fitting.

For production perhaps, but we are talking about a one-off here.  It could perhaps have been painted as I described as a way of publicising the point of interchangeability.  It could have started that way but then been overpainted when the Yellow undersides became Medium Sea Grey.  If it was.

Edited by Graham Boak

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone... Im going to revive this thread as I need to ask the Collective here at B/M. Were there plans to give the MB.5 a name like spitfire, spiteful, or similar ? Im curious as Im considering building my kit, the Sea Baker packaging. I may not be doing the Whif schemes or an RAF/RN prototype scheme as they don't really appeal to me. What do I call the plane other than MB.5, or is it really up to me to decide/create the name ? 

Dennis

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone... Im going to revive this thread as I need to ask the Collective here at B/M. Were there plans to give the MB.5 a name like spitfire, spiteful, or similar ? Im curious as Im considering building my kit, the Sea Baker packaging. I may not be doing the Whif schemes or an RAF/RN prototype scheme as they don't really appeal to me. What do I call the plane other than MB.5, or is it really up to me to decide/create the name ? 

Dennis

Dave?

Sorry . . .couldn't resist.  😚

Regards

Martin

• Haha 1