1/72 Sea Balliol

Gisbod

Hi all,

I’ve not done a build forum for a long time, but thought I’d change that with a 1/72 Sea Balliol from Special Hobby. I picked it up at Telford - not normally my scale or era, but it sucked me in... 

I don’t have a lot of experience building with Special Hobby kits. I have, however just completed a Vildebeest which was surprisingly nice in parts and a bit dodgy in others... my only other build being an Airspeed Oxford, which was a total pig 🐷. I swore I’d never touch another Special Hobby...

But time heals I guess. 

The kit:

C9-CAA8-E4-CE8-A-4-C51-BB32-EDEF9795359-

It comes with a lovely resin set, alongside an equally lovely PE fret. The plastic is a little soft and the detail is a bit fuzzy in places. The panel lines are not quite as crisp & defined as modern day offerings. That said, it looks like a Balliol and even has the wing folds!

I've made a start on the cockpit - and it’s actually really well done, with the PE & the resin, lots of detail for this scale. I’m planning on opening up the canopy, so this area is a focal point - worth spending some time on!

4-B2-FDEFE-24-C1-4-E0-B-952-A-AF6-D1-B60

43-E26-E23-556-A-4-DA4-9226-B9-B36173-C6

Thanks for looking in...

Guy

• Like 11

Your cockpit looks a bit better than this one in Quarrywood scrapyard,near Elgin,where many Sea Balliols ended up. A paradise for a keen spotter in the late sixties,just wish I had had the money to buy at least one of the airframes before they were broken up.

2290791_fc8bb8bb.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent start with the cockpit. You may want to dry fit the fuselage together and start thinking about the fit of the canopy which I am told is rather poor.

Martian 👽

Nice to see one these being built!

I built the CMK resin version years ago, so will follow your build with interest.

From memory the seat shoulder harness is attached to the airframe by a chain from the harness to the frame at the very back of the cockpit.

Roger

3 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Your cockpit looks a bit better than this one in Quarrywood scrapyard,near Elgin,where many Sea Balliols ended up.

Always sad to see lovely aircraft wasting away in the elements..  I do love the look of the Balliol. It just looks right. I bet they were nice to fly.

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Excellent start with the cockpit. You may want to dry fit the fuselage together and start thinking about the fit of the canopy which I am told is rather poor.

Martian 👽

Yep, I’ve had a play with these. The Fuselage looks ok with dry fitting. The canopy may cause a few issues...

Thanks Roger & AMB...

Guy

• Like 1

Evening all,

I’ve finished the cockpit. Had a few issues with the belts (shoulder harnesses) - the paint chipped off while I was gluing them in place (yes, I did pre bend them to shape). I replaced them with a spare pre painted Eduard set which looked ok but they ‘peeled’ a little while bending.. As the cockpit is so visible, I’ve resorted to ordering some generic fabric harnesses (the pictures show the old belts). I’m keeping the lap belts as they look fine I reckon.

The placement of the floor into the fuselage sides is a little vague and requires a bit of experimentation. Bear in mind the framework arch at the rear of the cockpit needs to be glued on at an angle. Not depicted as such in the instructions! 

The kit kit provides an instrument layout printed on a clear plastic sheet to sandwich between the plastic part and the PE, but these are just black circles so are invisible! I ended up hand painting as best I could.

DC01-A9-EF-7697-4210-A83-B-994-ED324-CA4

9-E99-B89-D-C12-F-46-F3-AE37-67379-B5-B7

08072018-8742-4593-9-C84-834-A69981-A20.

The detailing is probably a little generic, but it looks busy and as good as I can get in 1/72!

Thanks

Guy

• Like 6

That looks very effective and just about right in this scale. What are your plans for clubbing the canopy into submission? The reason I ask I that it is this issue that has stopped me buying the kit.

Martian 👽

I don’t think it’s as bad as all that. It’s the rear end that’s the issue but It actually fits well if held down with a bit of force. My masterplan is to super glue it (gel) and tape/ clamp/ stamp it into submission 😋.

Will report further Martin...

Guy

• Thanks 1

Thanks 😋 Lovely pic Max...

I’ve got the fuselage together and no issues there, No filler required either! The wing roots are on too, these were fine but did require a little filler. I’ve got an initial primer coat on and rubbed down. The plastic out of the box has a rough texture to it. I had to give it a once over with a Tamiya 3000 sanding sponge. This made the surface feel smooth without removing any detail.

I’ve cut the canopy into 3, all was going beautifully until the last stroke of the saw ... the rear part cracked! What a bugger... I went straight on to SH’s website and filled out their request form for a replacement part. I’ve no idea how long this will take, but can’t really progress any further as I need the rear canopy to be glued down before I start painting 🙄

Oh well, that’s modelling I guess...😤

INTERMISSION

Guy

ps the fabric belts arrived, but there’s only one set when the picture online showed two... 

A20-FBC15-6-D93-4-F86-B196-823-EB47-F968

• Like 4