A noob P-47D question about kit props

Harrier/ViperFan

I have a really noob question, I have a Tamiya 1/48 P-47D Razorback that I might start over the Christmas period, the scheme I have chosen calls for the Hamilton Prop but I can not tell which one out of the 2 supplied is the one I need. Can someone please help me by pointing me in the right direction.

I have the 1/72 kits, not 1/48 so can’t give you part numbers. On the sprue, the Curtiss prop has a pointier spinner and the H-S prop spinner is bigger and more rounded. The H-S prop blades are wider along the entire length too, thinking if it is the Razorback kit, the Curtiss blades are the narrower, pointy tipped ones, not the paddle blade version

AAF,

Yep. There were actually four props possible for P-47's. The original "toothpick" Curtiss Electric narrow chord prop, the CE paddle blade prop with asymmetrical blades, as seen in the post, a CE paddle blade prop with symmetrical blades (late production and P-47N) and the HS paddle blade prop, as shown in the post. I have  attached a link to photos, drawings, and text that show the different props; I think it would be useful for anybody building a P-47.

Mike

http://p47.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=128328

H/VF,

I have the 1/48 Tamiya razorback kit.  P/N 36-37 is the HS prop; 32-33 is the CE narrow chord prop; 34-35 is the CE symmetrical paddle blade prop. I would suggest you use a photo of the one you want to build for the prop type fitted, as it was very common on P-47's to have the prop type swapped for a later, more efficient type by an enterprising crew chief or during overhaul or engine replacement. If you look at photos of the war-weary P-47D razorbacks used by the 5th ERS, you will see Jugs with  all four types fitted! (If the airplane you want to build had the CE asymmetrical paddle blade prop, you will have to get it from one of the aftermarket sources, like Ultracast or Barracuda.

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Guys some really great info there.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The plane I am building is:

P-47D-4-RA, 48-22762 Lt Samuel Stamps of 56FG/63FS, Halesworth Feb-March 1944

I am not sure now if it's a Hamilton prop. 

H/VF,

Are you sure about the serial number? I don't think that can be right, as in the AJ Press and MBI monographs, the serial number range for the P-47D-4RA was 42-22664-22863. The last P-47 built was a P-47N-20RA with serial 45-50123. According to the same sources, the prop, as originally fitted, was the narrow chord Curtiss Electric,  but if you have a photo, I would go by that, as different prop types were oftentimes fitted, as described above.

In the Little Friends  website, his P-47 is listed as 42-22762, which would make it a D-4, and it was coded UN-S;  the airplane was later transferred to the 366th FG, 9th AF. I couldn't find any photos of his Jug, however, sorry! I have posted the link to the website, as it is an outstanding modelers reference for all of the 8th AF fighter groups, with tons of excellent photos.

Mike

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/

BS_w,

I meant to thank you for your post- first time I have seen specs and markings references for the prop blades made by AO Smith, who also made prop blades for P-61's, IIRC. Merci! (That's French for much obliged, podnuh!)

Mike

un-s.jpg

the hub  is not enough massive to be HS propeller. It's probably a Curtiss prop with narrow blades, drawing 714 or 2721200.

Pn this pic the nose is yellow, not red as written in IWM

Edited by BS_w

2 hours ago, BS_w said:

the hub  is not enough massive to be HS propeller. It's probably a Curtiss prop with narrow blades, drawing 714 or 2721200.

Pn this pic the nose is yellow, not red as written in IWM

I think so, too. It's definitely a CE hub, and most likely, based on the markings visible,  that it had the early narrow-chord prop blades. Neat photo, though!

Mike

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

If 42-22762 was a P-47D-4, wouldn't that predate introduction of the ability to carry a belly drop tank and mean a shallower keel under the fuselage?  Which will worry you as much as you let it.

Have to go back to my references, but IIRC, there were factory kits supplied to early production blocks  to fit the rack and plumbing for a fuselage tank/store, just as there were kits supplied to add underwing pylons/plumbing for the same to P-47's that did not have them installed on the assembly line. The "big belly" keel was also a factory supplied modification  kit, if memory serves.

Mike

That's right. A bit 'lego-like' construction of P-47 made it possible to see D-2s indistinguishable form late Razorback models. The nose colour is Sky type S - a short lived markings of 63FS. This dates the plane to Feb. 1944.  The screw is CE of course, and it can be seen clearly on better framed copy of the pic. What kind of prop blades is a different story. At the time replacement paddleblade screws were used by 56th FG but some craft still flew with original 'toothpicks'. It is to decide how important Lt. Stamps could have been in the squadron those days ;).

8 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

That's right. A bit 'lego-like' construction of P-47 made it possible to see D-2s indistinguishable form late Razorback models. The nose colour is Sky type S - a short lived markings of 63FS. This dates the plane to Feb. 1944.  The screw is CE of course, and it can be seen clearly on better framed copy of the pic. What kind of prop blades is a different story. At the time replacement paddleblade screws were used by 56th FG but some craft still flew with original 'toothpicks'. It is to decide how important Lt. Stamps could have been in the squadron those days ;).

You got that right! RHIP! Bet the "big guns" got the higher performance props! Wonder what strings the 5th ERS crew chiefs pulled, as many of their war-weary Jugs had the later paddle blade props and I'm willing to bet the uprated P&W R-2800's, too. Some had six or four guns, so betting they were "hot rods" if they got both the HP props and engines! See the link below for a photo of one of their Jugs with the asymmetrical paddle blade props and only 4 .50cal guns.

Mike

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/unit/1281

There was no need to pull any string really. 5th ERS flew its first mission in the middle of may 1944. Most of the known pics of the unit's Thunderbolts are post D-Day. This was the time when paddleblade screws were widely available and that's why pictures of 5th P-47s with toothpick are so rare. For me the surprise is the planes retained their Malcolm canopies. It seems quiet different to the policy connected with P-51s.

2 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

There was no need to pull any string really. 5th ERS flew its first mission in the middle of may 1944. Most of the known pics of the unit's Thunderbolts are post D-Day. This was the time when paddleblade screws were widely available and that's why pictures of 5th P-47s with toothpick are so rare. For me the surprise is the planes retained their Malcolm canopies. It seems quiet different to the policy connected with P-51s.

Perhaps they rated the Malcolm hoods for their better visibility during SAR sorties? Merry Christmas, GG.

Mike