1/32 Vought F4U-1D Corsair

TheindieG

So To get back into a long break from modelling, I picked up a set that was lying on my self for some time. Box was not in great condition but everything inside was fine. I found a good version on the image on the front though. 

It is a Revell Vought F4U-1D Corsair. One of the simpler kits I believe, It came with a couple of paints and some glue which is helpful, luckily I have the whites and greys needed from another project so I have almost everything.

maxresdefault.jpg

20181219_155351.jpg

20181219_155458-edit.jpg

20181219_202024.jpg

20181219_202934.jpg

I have started with some of the basic base coating, then I can get some colours in tomorrow. Criticism is welcome, I am still very much a novice!

• Like 3

Ooops now you did it, I big bent wing bird. I will be taking my seat now.:popcorn:

EDIT : The old revell kit has a solid floored cockpit if memory serves. It should be open all the way to the bottom of the fuselage. Like in these photos. 

IEBSduB.png

mlYtZ2X.jpg

Not sure if you're going Aftermarket but the kit piece(s) can be modified just by sawing of the floor. Ive done it to both this kit and a 1/48 arii kit. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ooops now you did it, I big bent wing bird. I will be taking my seat now.:popcorn:

EDIT : The old revell kit has a solid floored cockpit if memory serves. It should be open all the way to the bottom of the fuselage. Like in these photos. 

IEBSduB.png

mlYtZ2X.jpg

Not sure if you're going Aftermarket but the kit piece(s) can be modified just by sawing of the floor. Ive done it to both this kit and a 1/48 arii kit. 

That is a scary looking cockpit! I am not going aftermarket with this model, but now I have seen these images I may cut a hole in the floor. I do think I went a bit dark with the green though, I will have to improve on a future build.

• Like 1

So the green is definitely too dark, but im happy with it for the moment. 

20181220_172311.jpg

20181220_173151.jpg

20181220_173505.jpg

20181221_145710.jpg

I think my first attempt doesn't look too bad. I need to get a macro lense so I can get some better images, and maybe a bit more light too! Hoping to get it looking more like a plane next!

Ryan

Great job so far,...... the Revell kt is an oldie but goodie,........ the shape is good and with a bit of effort a great result can be arrived at. I would try and replace the engine crank case if you can as this spoils the model.

Here is mine,..made many yeas ago straight from the box;

DSCF2584

You are sorting the cockpit out brilliantly,....... a new set of wheels, sort out the engine cooling gills and the engine crank case and you`ll have a corker on your hands,

Cheers

Tony

If you're building the kit that you posted the box art photo of, be careful! The box art shows an F4U-1A, not an F4U-1D. The -1A had a canopy with the horizontal framework as shown in the box art- the -1D's canopy had no framework and was a true bubble. In addition, the -1D did not have the observation window in the belly, as shown in Dennis' photo, but some -1A's did. The cockpits are the same except for some minor stuff on the coaming and armament panel. Lastly, the F4U-1D introduced the dual bomb/fuel tank pylons on the center section- the -1A's could carry a belly tank or bomb on the fuselage centerline. You could polish the framework off of the kit canopy if you want to model an F4U-1D, fill the belly window and paint the undersurface color, if the kit comes with it, and you could make the two pylons. If you want to do the kit as shown on the box art, you are good to go, but it's a -1A, not a -1D. What you've got going looks pretty good- keep at it. (I don't see how anybody can build a 1/32 kit, as there's all that room that cries out for detailing, compared to my scale where a little bit really fills up a cockpit or wheel bay.)

(How'm I doing, Dennis- did I get it all right?)

Mike

BTW, TG- in case you didn't realize it, ToT's FAA Corsair is brush-painted- he's our resident master of the hairy stick!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I almost have a plane looking type thing. Happy with how it is going so far. Has fitted together fairly well. 

20181221_151645.jpg

20181221_151700.jpg

I cut a hole in the floor as mentioned before. First try was at the wrong end, so I need to fill that, but the second attempt has gone much better than expected! Lined up surprisingly well.

20181221_154930.jpg

20181221_155148.jpg

Now I have put the thing together, ready to put the base black coat on. I filled in the stuff I have already painted, hopefully I put in enough. I need to think about the actual colour scheme I should go with. I may just stick with the one on the front of the box to make it easier! 

20181221_161434.jpg

20181221_161447.jpg

hope I am doing okay up until this point! any tips for the colour scheme? I am brushing at this point, hopefully after christmas I can afford an airbrush.

Ryan

• Like 1

I have just realised that you are building the recent 1/72nd scale Revell kit and not the 1/32nd oldy but goody as you`ve stated on your title,.... so ignore what I posted earlier,... that was in repation to the 1/32nd scale kit,... which is what I posted a pic of!  

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

I have just realised that you are building the recent 1/72nd scale Revell kit and not the 1/32nd oldy but goody as you`ve stated on your title,.... so ignore what I posted earlier,... that was in repation to the 1/32nd scale kit,... which is what I posted a pic of!  

Damn, I thought it was a bit small for a 1:32! Sorry about that. Your photos are still useful as guidance though!

Right, so it is starting to come together! I have put the base coat of matt black on the main aircraft and let it dry for a few days. It came out okay, but there were some glue marks which were noticable. I sanded and filed it off before I started the painting. You can see that in some of the later pictures.

20181228_141836.jpg

20181228_142137.jpg

20181228_142200.jpg

I started to apply the main paint of the plane, following the instructions. I have only had time to paint the bottom, but im happy with it. The blue/grey painted really well, but always have issues with the white paint being almost lumpy.

20181228_160422.jpg

20181228_155711.jpg

20181228_162034.jpg

20181228_162558.jpg

I have looked over everything and I do realise the title is completely wrong. I am building an 1:72 F4U-1A, although not quite sure which of the designs it will finish with. There are two on the instructions. Happy to get feedback! Also any tips about the lumpy paint?

Ryan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheindieG said:

Happy to get feedback! Also any tips

Im sorry about my earlier advice, i had meant the detail work in 1/32. In 1/72 it might be hard to do some of the detail in the cockpit. As for tips i was curious if you are going for a hard demarcation between the two blues ? Or were you planning on softening the edges on the colors. Either are acceptable just depends on your tastes and comfort. That and wether you like hard edges or soft to your color ?

If you like soft you could try mixing a color in between the two blues. Or using the two seperate blues to dry brush a softer edge in between the two blues. Again its a personal choice so just a thought on my part ? 

Dennis

On 12/30/2018 at 3:29 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im sorry about my earlier advice, i had meant the detail work in 1/32. In 1/72 it might be hard to do some of the detail in the cockpit. As for tips i was curious if you are going for a hard demarcation between the two blues ? Or were you planning on softening the edges on the colors. Either are acceptable just depends on your tastes and comfort. That and wether you like hard edges or soft to your color ?

If you like soft you could try mixing a color in between the two blues. Or using the two seperate blues to dry brush a softer edge in between the two blues. Again its a personal choice so just a thought on my part ? 

Dennis

I like the idea of sharp lines but I fear it will be difficult for me to get it to look good with my current skill level. I think I will make a slight blur together to hide it, but not too much, to try and keep the look. Thanks for the tip of a mixed colour in the middle. Any tips on stopping the clumpy paint?

Ryan

• Like 1

I use tamiya paints and there X-20A thins it quite well for airbrushing/brushing. Though i also use Isopropyl alcohol for brushing smaller areas as well. If your using a water based acrylic such as Vallejo, Ammo, or similar water should thin it decently.

You mentioned lumpiness in your paint. That sounds like its either not mixing well, or from not being thinned enough. Its best to mix for a few minutes to break up any congealed sediment in a bottle/jar of paint. Do you use a palette or something other than the paint jar when painting ? I use the caps off of disposable water bottles myself. I find its best to pour a little out and thin it that way. If trying to dip the brush in the jar and then thinner/water you will get  paint thats not thinned the same way each time you dip into the jar. 

Ive found if brushing a complete model members such as Tonyot, Beard, & Plastix thin the paint down quite a bit. They then build up several layers to get the smooth finishes. You should check out @PlaStix builds for some tips as well. Heres his recent P-47 build.

He’s one of the Brushpainting Masters. He’s also never used an airbrush from what I understand. His finish can equal if not best airbrushes in many cases. I hope that helps if not i can try and find more on brushing or mixing.

Dennis