This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Army_Air_Force

My Daughter's Airfix D-Day Diorama - with Additions

The afternoon was almost over, so we put the tank in a box out of the way for the decals to fully harden and moved on.

d_day037.jpg

So in the last few minutes of the afternoon, she started butting out parts of the bombed out house.

d_day038.jpg

Posted (edited)

I'm surprised the tank isn't in the MLP armoured division markings.

I'm probably teaching my granny to suck eggs here but when you get to the figure painting we used to paint the figures with a coat of diluted PVA  glue  as a primer & undercoat.

Edited by spaddad

Yes, I've seen a number of threads about undercoating the rubbery figures and how acrylics work better than enamels, so we've got a little experimenting to get the best results. 

Stephen,

A nice result on the Sherman.

'What a gal!'

20 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Once both turret stars and both registrations were added, the star on the top of the turret was applied. It was a little more tricky being partially under the commander's hatch.

d_day033.jpg

A little Microsol was added to the decals to help them sit down and after that dried, Kevin the Commander and Dave the Driver came to check on the progress. Both were pleased with their new ride!

d_day034.jpg

Great , loved every picture and got a shock to see her wielding a scalpel ,brilliant.

We had a little time spare this morning, so gave the Sherman a couple of washes. The first was a black wash all over. We used the Airfix acrylics, diluted with car screen wash. It was then force dried with a hair dryer. 

d_day039.jpg

Next came an earth brown wash over the suspension units, wheels and front of the tank. When you ride around in a Sherman on a dusty day, you soon realise how much dust and dirt is thrown forwards from the front of the track as it goes around the sprocket. This immediately blows back in your face!

d_day040.jpg

The tracks were given an earth wash too, but we'll add some clumps of mud later, once they are fitted.

d_day041.jpg

We're both rather pleased with the way the weathering has come out. It's not far away now. Tracks, mud, hatches, logs, crew and possibly an aerial, although that might wait until the final assembly of the diorama.

d_day042.jpg

Wednesday is my daughter's modelling day, so I did a little preparation while she was at school to allow things to move a little faster once she was home. The twigs that we collected on the way home from school a few weeks ago were cut to length and the ends chamfered to simulate being axed. They were then glued together in sets of three so they had time to dry.

d_day043.jpg

Kevin and Dave were painted, also so they would be dry for late afternoon. Dave also had the base drilled and a piece of wire glued in. The wire formed a handle to allow him to be fed in theough the hole in the hull and then positioned in his driver's hatch. Kevin's backside and thighs were trimmed into a groove to allow him to sit better over the turret hatch rim.

d_day044.jpg

The first job my daughter did tonight was to start assembling the bombed out house, so parts could start drying while we worked on the Sherman. After that, she turned to the logs, now glued into one piece. We used cotton to represent rope to tie the logs on to the tank. She tied one knot at the top of the stack, adding a tiny drop of PVA glue to hold the first knot. Both ends of each set of logs was roped. They were all left to dry.

d_day045.jpg

The rubber tracks were flipped inside out and taped down to a piece of wood for joining. The hot knife method was used for joining them.

d_day046.jpg

The holes for the sprckets were too small to allow the sprocket to fit, so I gave her a needle file to slowly open up the holes, test fitting as she went.

d_day047.jpg

Once both sides were a snug fit and the paint was cleaned from the hull and sprocket, I gave her some tube glue to brush onto the mounting points. We then fitted the sprocket into the track, which was already looped over the rest of the wheels, and slotted the sprocket into its hole.

d_day048.jpg

With the tracks attached, the logs were next. One piece of the cotton thread was wrapped around a couple more times and then glued on the back, before the logs were then glued to the side of the hull. Both sides were done and weighted down while they dried.

d_day049.jpg

While they were drying, Kevin was glued to the top of the turret.

d_day050.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the house was started first this afternoon. We hopped on and off the house, leaving each wall to dry a while before coming back to add the next one.

d_day051.jpg

I had a couple of metal 'V' blocks which made it a little easier for my daughter to position and hold the parts while she ran the solvent glue into the joints with a brush.

d_day052.jpg

With all the walls assembled, the floor was glued in. The roof was cut from the sprue and cleaned up, but left off for now to allow easier painting of both the floor and roof parts. 

d_day053.jpg

With a bit of heat from a hair dryer, the logs were dry enough for a few quick pictures. The cotton thread still needs cutting to a suitable length, so for now was just draped over the hull.

d_day054.jpg

Time to see the bigger picture. My daughter is very pleased with how it is all looking. She should be pleased, she's doing a fantastic job - still with lots of guidance and a couple of extra hands from me here and there, but in general, mostly her own work.

d_day055.jpg

The tracks on the Sherman are a fraction on the long side. To help to keep them in place, the last job of the day was to add some PVA glue to the lower track and wheels. The tank was then weighted down to keep the wheels in contact with the track while the glue dried.

d_day056.jpg

ACE!!

Your daughter puts me to shame- I’mhopeless at Armour modelling.

Well done, her.  And well done you, to encourage her.

Jonny

Been really enjoying this build, takes me back to making similar models as a child, although I had a bit less guidance. There's also a definite charm to seeing these Airfix models made, even if they are unrefined by today's standards.