My Daughter's Airfix D-Day Battlefront Diorama - with Additions

With Rob in place, the camo net was next. Some cotton thread was glued to each corner first to act as guy ropes. Corner by corner, the netting was glued to the top of each pole. When the end was pulled down, it gave us an indication of the space for the supplies. 

d_day175.jpg

A few positions were tried before they were glued down. They are seen here prior to gluing.

d_day176.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

More hole drilling followed.....

d_day177.jpg

....and more figure planting. This is Ralph the rope rigger. Formerly a grenade thrower, now making the final adjustments to the camo net guy ropes.

d_day178.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

After Ralph's feet had stuck firmly, the rope was attached to his hands. The easiest was to do it was to soak the rope in cyano kicker, and add a drop of cyano to Ralph's hands.

d_day179.jpg

Rob seemed quite at home now under his camo net

d_day180.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

Slowly the diorama was filling up with figures and accessories. While it still looks quite empty here, we'd already added quite a lot of details. They should show up on closer inspection and when it's all done, I'll be taking a number of photos showing the various scenes from different view points.

d_day181.jpg

Tom and Jerry can! 🙂 The Jeep isn't attached yet, but Tom is topping up the fuel now while there's time.

d_day182.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

Barry was busy setting up another barbed wire barricade.

d_day183.jpg

Ian was injured in earlier combat, but fortunately not too badly. He's waiting to be evacuated. The two other guys in the house are as yet un-named.

d_day184.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

The gun crew are talking about their field of fire and the need to lower the barbed wire a little, just in front of the gun. The Sherman is moving into position to provide more fire support.

d_day185.jpg

To finish this session of posts, here's a general view from house front. The layout of the figures and weapons is designed to give the diorama interesting viewing angles from all sides, with several small stories going on from where ever you view from.

d_day186.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, we got the last of the small details glued down, though there's still a little more work to do. A couple of pulled up road signs have been dumped at the roadside here.

d_day187.jpg

The other two were abandoned a little further around the diorama. They were placed face down so we didn't need to worry about text on them.

d_day188.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

Near the field gun, a shovel and pick have been added, along with some broken house roof timbers.

d_day189.jpg

At the trailer, a pick was laid up against the corrugated iron. A shovel in the trailer, a bike against the rubble and another bike in the house.

d_day190.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

Roof tiles and timbers were scattered around the house. The tiles were painted the same colour as the roof, but haven't weathered as much, so are a bit bright. I decided it would be easier to weather them once glued down, rather than loose, so they'll be re-weathered once fully dry.

d_day191.jpg

d_day192.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

Lastly, a couple of general views. Once the last of the weathering is done, it needs a sprayed matt coat to hide any of the glue spots still showing.

d_day193.jpg

d_day194.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

The roof tiles have been toned down now. Once the paint has fully hardened, it's time for a matt coat and final photos. We've been thinking about trying to find a real background for some photos.

d_day195.jpg

d_day196.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

We haven't had the weather yet for an outdoor photoshoot. The way the UK weather is going now, Summer may well be over! I'd still like to try and get out for a real backdrop, but for now, here's a multitude of pictures from an indoor shoot, taken at both eye level and from above. Some I've turned black and white, while some others have just been desaturated a bit and red increased to try and replicate wartime Kodachrome film.

d_day197.jpg

d_day198.jpg

d_day199.jpg

d_day200.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

We're pretty pleased with the overall result. Looking back, skin coloured tights may have worked better for the camo net rather than the black. The barbed wire would have been better with thinner copper wire, but that was all I had kicking around the workshop.

d_day205.jpg

d_day206.jpg

d_day207.jpg

d_day208.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

We made the right call to leave the Tiger tank off and replace it with a Jeep. It would have been unrealistic and perhaps toy-like, to have both tanks, unless the Sherman had been a smoking wreck. Without the Jeep might have been a little too empty. Neither the Jeep or Sherman are glued down and moved around a little during the photoshoot.

d_day209.jpg

d_day210.jpg

d_day211.jpg

d_day212.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

The layout seems to work well when viewed from all sides and we tried to make use of figures who seemed less involved in combat but more at readiness. The rubbery plastic figures are of course horrible to work with and only minor work was done by myself to melt away flash etc. Airfix could really do with making a range of styrene figures for diorama builders.

d_day213.jpg

d_day214.jpg

d_day215.jpg

d_day216.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

My daughter was eight when she started this model and heading towards eleven now. It is virtually all her own work, but with lots of guidance and advice from me, a little holding of parts where extra hands were needed and I did some of the figure painting detail after she painted the main colours. I also made the camo net over the radio operator, helped with joining the tank tracks and sprayed gloss and matt coats when needed.

d_day217.jpg

d_day218.jpg

d_day219.jpg

d_day220.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

It looks the real deal. Please give your daughter congratulations on having such refined modelling skills (yes yes you have them too, but did you have them at age 8-11) 

Full marks and a cup of tea

• Thanks 1