Kawasaki GPZ 400 R (Tamiya 1/12)

Hi!

I recently finished my Tamiya Kawasaki GPZ 400 R.

It is mostly out of the box, only some cabling to the front fork was added.

I stripped the chrome parts and painted them (exhausts) or used bare metal foil (fork, mirrors)

Clear coat is Zero Paints  2K Diamond Finish.

GPZ400R_01.jpg

GPZ400R_02.jpg

GPZ400R_03.jpg

GPZ400R_04.jpg

GPZ400R_05.jpg

GPZ400R_06.jpg

Cheers,

Markus

Edited by Delayar
  • Like 10

Very nice indeed, I love the paint finish, especially the picture than from the riding position looking forward, the reflection in the petrol tank is great.

• Like 1

That's a cracking build, well done :)

Like the others have said, the gloss coat is really nice, must try that soon on a couple of car builds looming. Can you spray it over any acrylics or does it have to be with Zero colours base coats?

Ian

Hi!

Thanks.

I sprayed it over Tamiya acrylics wihout problems. The acrylics have been toroughly dried before that. Also, I first sprayed a mist coat to seal the decals without dissolving them, before shooting a wet coat.

I followed these instructions:

Cheers

Markus

45 minutes ago, Delayar said:

I sprayed it over Tamiya acrylics wihout problems. The acrylics have been toroughly dried before that. Also, I first sprayed a mist coat to seal the decals without dissolving them, before shooting a wet coat.

Hi Markus

That's great thank you

I usually use Tamiya acrylics and Mr Hobby gloss coat but never get the shine and deep lustre that the 2K seems to give

Will get some and try it on the next car build

Cheers

Ian :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Delayar said:

Hi!

Thanks.

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus, I’ve just read your comment regarding a “mist coat” and dissolving decals. I’m building a Traction Engine (in the ”in  progress” section of the forum) and decided to use a clear coat. The decals “crazed” and somebody suggested that my clear coat was too thick. Could you have a look and let me know what you think?

Thanks for you help. Regards Ian

Hi!

I can't tell if that is what happened to your decals. But when using solvent based clears, I would recomend that you seal the decals with acrylics, or use a mist coat of the clear to seal the decals. With a mist coat, the solvent gasses out before it could eat into the decals.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Markus

Edited by Delayar

9 hours ago, Delayar said:

Hi!

I can't tell if that is what happened to your decals. But when using solvent based clears, I would recomend that you seal the decals witch acrylics, or use a mist coat of the clear to seal the decals. With a mist coat, the solvent gasses out before it could eat into the decals.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Markus

Thanks very much Markus, I do appreciate your help. I’m sure that this was the problem, I’ve done some more decals on the Princess without the clear coat and without any problem in the decal. Sorry if I hijacked your thread!!

Regards Ian