Revell Hunter Canopy error?

John R

Is the front screen of the canopy too wide where it meets the fuselage? According to the drawings in the SAM Hunter book the width of the glass at the base should be about 4mm but in the kit component it appears to be about 6mm.

I didn't notice it when I built an F6 when the kit first appeared but it came to light when I was trying to produce the conical fairing used on the record breaking Mk 3.

John

Edit.

A comparison between the model and the real thing. Just noticed that the anhedral on the model looks greater than the real thing.

Windshield%20comparison_zps3dolc3je.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 20 December 2018 at 7:59 AM, Bedders said:

Interesting to see this. Must say I've always thought that the canopy on the Revell Hunter (1/72) looks a bit on the large side, but I don't think I've seen any discussion of it.

Justin

Agreed. It is a little overblown sadly :(. Otherwise a great kit!

Martin

The problem stems from the nose/fuselage being the wrong shape forward of the canopy. It’s a little too round, when it should be more oval. This means the top of the fuselage is wider than it should be and consequently the base of the windscreen  is too wide. Not sure it’s as much as 2 mm,  but would need to measure a real one to be sure.

It was spotted by John Adams when the kit first came out, but it’s not too noticeable 

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Thanks 1

I am a guide at Tangmere and would be happy to measure the F3 for you - I shall next be there on Feb 4. Can you be specific about the measurement you want please?

John

John, Thank you. What I would like to know is the width of the front screen at the bottom just where the glass starts.

For anybody new to this thread here is a comparison between my model and the real thing,

John

Windshield%20comparison_zps3dolc3je.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi John,

Not long back from Tangmere, and I was able to measure the Hunter F3 cockpit canopy width. It is 29 cm - but oddly enough the screen on the F4 is 32cm as is that on the F5. I wonder if the windshield on the F3 was modified, other than the forward extension for the speed record attempt to reduce drag?

Hope this helps.

John

• Like 1

In Revell Hunter the canopy is also wider to accomodate for the possibility to model it open. Can this add to the problem too?

And I actually looked at my Hunter (1/72) I assembled 10 years ago OOB before I started to bother looking at pictures/plans/etc. Anhedral looks right. 

Edited by Dennis_C

John, Thank you. That seems to tie up with my findings. It also ties up with the 3 view in the SAM book

Any rivet counters or pedants might like to know that there is enough thickness of the forward section of the Revell canopy to enable you to sand it down to the right size.

Regarding the F3,4,5 difference they may have fitted a more substantial frame so that there was somewhere to bolt the conical section onto.

I have since modified my model so the dihedral matches that of the picture and the 3 view in the SAM book. The wings fitted so nicely to the fuselage that I didn't bother to check.

John